Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nanoshinonome
Journeyman III

Constant Crashes and Graphical Faults with 5700 XT and Ryzen 7 3800X

Hello AMD Community

I am not a happy customer.

This is my 4th PC Build and the only one that has given me intensive problems. I swapped from Intel/Nvidia to give AMD a shot and to my dismay it has not worked out.

Just a little background about me - I am fairly computer literate, I'm a power user, software dev, etc. computer is life, computer is love.

I've attached my DxDiag to this post, but here is the gist of my build

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor   

Card name: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

Mother Board: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX

RAM: 32gb (4x8gb) Vengeance LPX 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600

PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD
HDD: Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drive

Monitor 1: BENQ 1440 via DisplayPort

Monitor 2: LG 1080 via HDMI

Current Adrenaline: 19.9.3, but I have tried many different versions.

Current Chipset: Also 19.9.3 according to Amoury Crate, again I've used many different versions in an attempt to fix the issue.

I also use a plethora of other devices and such, and perhaps that is causing the issue, however none of these devices caused the constant crashes that I had on my previous build.

I will provide any information as needed so I can help correct my issue.

Here are the two primary issues that I have:

I primarily play the popular game League of Legends. I also dabble in OverWatch as well as many retro games, emulators, etc. I also produce videos using PowerDirector and Stream with StreamLabs.

When playing any game the top quarter of my BENQ monitor will glitch out. It most of the time happens over a second of time and blinks back. In my attached "Screen Shot 1", here is kind of what it looks like. The top part of my monitor will go black. Then a second later it will be back and good. While this is a problem, it is at least serviceable and I don't mind it too much.

My next problem is when graphical elements are not loaded or loaded in an errored state. When I load Overwatch, parts of models do not load or load incorrectly. For example the hair of a character will often look terrible, pixelated, and a glitch mess. Other times some models, UIs, etc. will simply not load. This isn't very fun when I don't get information that I need. This also frequently happens with League of Legends UI. The launcher frequently freezes, doesn't load icons, doesn't load menus, etc.

The worst problem out of all is when my entire computer freezes up and crashes. This happens at least once or twice a day, and I have a method to replicate it. In League of Legends I will join a multiplayer lobby. At first things will be fine. I click "find match" and somewhere between the "find match" and the lobby loading, my entire computer will freeze and my monitors will go black. I would say 25% of the time, the GPU/CPU "reboots" somehow and I can actually continue on after the freeze, even though most of the graphics aren't loaded and it's a pretty terrible state to work with. Most of the time, the monitors will stay blacked out, and I will have to do a hard reset. 

Crashes also happen with every game, but because I play LoL the most, it happens there most of the time, and I have a way to replicate the crash.

I can upload any logs as needed, please let me know how I can get you my error logs from AMD devices (if possible).

Thanks

12 Replies
hakko
Adept I

Hello my friend, sorry for your issues but too many people w8in an answer from AMD side... i never seen before any clean answer about this kind BSOD or freezing things... im following also any reply on this topic and i hope anyone can answer soon...

BTW My Config

0 Likes

Thanks hakko,

Is there anyway to get in touch with AMD better? I had no idea that so many people were waiting on an answer.

I also work on the technical side of things and if a user has issues then being able to recreate the error helps out in troubleshooting.

I have an easily repeatable error, who can I get these logs to?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

I see this form should I do that?

0 Likes

Best solution is waiting Adrenaline Driver to reach an adequate level imo. Because, at the same time almost all Radeon RX 5700 XT users (maybe 5700 users too) trying some personal solutions. I'm checked many of reports about same issues.(BSOD,Freezing etc.) AMD at the new technology level with RDNA on this cards. We're almost first users and also test subjects for them. We must submitting error reports and wait for AMD Engineers to do something. Sad but true... 

Best regards

Hakko

0 Likes

Yes submit email support request and also report error online from preferences in AMD settings, also join AMD User Experience Program.

pastedImage_1.png

hakko
Adept I

AMD Says this with 19.10.1 driver;

Fixed Issues

• Display artifacts may be experienced on some 75hz display configurations on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics system configurations.
  • Radeon FreeSync™2 capable displays may fail to enable HDR when HDR is enabled via Windows® OS on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products system configurations.
  • Some displays may intermittently flash black when Radeon FreeSync is enabled and the system is at idle or on desktop.

Known Issues

• Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may experience display loss when resuming from sleep or hibernate when multiple displays are connected.
  • Toggling HDR may cause system instability during gaming when Radeon ReLive is enabled.
  • Call of Duty®: Black Ops 4 may experience stutter on some system configurations.
  • Open Broadcasting Software™ may experience frame drops or stutter when using AMF encoding on some system configurations.
  • Stutter may be experienced when Radeon FreeSync is enabled on 240hz refresh displays with Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

im gonna try new driver. 

0 Likes
brunoalves20015
Adept III

Hello .. Good night!
About a month and a half ago I sold my GTX 1070 SC and bought a rx 5700 xt thicc ii, and since then my headache started. The card is very good yes, much better than my GTX 1070 SC, but at the same time it brings many problems, such as blue screen (BSODS), crashes and other annoying situations.

I have a 12 month warranty, and I am holding back from submitting for warranty and asking for my money back, as this is a hidden addiction or problem with drivers that cannot control 100% GPU.

Completely unstable, AMD does not speak and does not release a driver that solves the problem, each DRIVER a new problem.

Update the driver today after using DDU, and get a BSODS already.

I am very sad with AMD, we work day to day to buy a GPU here in Brazil and we go through these frustrating situations.

MY SETUP:

GIGABYTE AX370 Gaming REV 1.x - LAST VERSION BIOS
TEAM GROUP DDR4 3200MHZ
RYZEN 7 1700X + WATER COOLER CORSAIR H55
RX 5700 XT thicc ii (BAD)
CORSAIR TX750

Monitor AOC GAMER HERO 144HZ

0 Likes

lets try 19.10.1 driver my friend.

brunoalves20015
Adept III

I followed amd's instructions regarding ram memory frequency, and apparently stabilized and GPU usage is normal and performance is good.

I haven't had BSODS in this day after this change.

Below are the instructions from AMD:

Dear Bruno,

Thank you for contacting AMD Support.

We are sorry that you have encountered problems with your RX 5700XT. I will be happy to help.

What is the manufacturer of your board? Note that most problems that occur with this card have incorrect installation or configuration, or system incompatibility. For example, many users use the PCI (riser) extension cable, which in most cases is not currently used with PCI-e 4 and after removing the card works perfectly. Keep what you are connecting to the direct card on the motherboard without any extender cable.

Another problem that identifies is an incompatibility of the old 300 or 400 series motherboards or their configurations with this very new board. For example, many users reported troubleshooting or changing a PCI-e mode option in the Generation 3 Auto Motherboard BIOS. Suggest consulting the motherboard manual and testing this option and also contacting the motherboard manufacturer. to confirm if there is any additional configuration that should be done.

Also note that the maximum memory speed supported by the Ryzen 1700X processor is 2667MHz, so if using 3200Mhz memory, this is not processor compatible and may cause system instability. Using memory above 2667MHz is considered overclocking and not supported. Keep in mind that memory is set below the processor limit.

Also save if your RAM is included in the motherboard compatibility list (QVL). This list is usually found on any motherboard manual, mailbox, or website. Memories for a list that are not used and can cause various problems. Consult the motherboard manufacturer if in doubt.

And to ensure there are no problems with driver installation and your system is installed correctly, I recommend performing a clean install by following the steps below:

UPDATE SYSTEM
- Verify that the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers are up to date. Consult the motherboard manual or manufacturer if in doubt.
- Check if your Windows has the latest updates installed.

START A CLEAN INSTALLATION
Follow the instructions on this page to use the uninstaller AMD to remove previous drivers and ensure a correct installation:
- www.amd.com/cleanuninstall

INSTALL DRIVER MANUALLY
Download and install the latest driver version. https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

If it doesn't solve your problem, please send us the DxDiag report from your computer so we can investigate:

GET DXDIAG
Press the Windows key + R
Type "dxdiag" in the dialog box and press "Enter"
Click on "Save all information".
Save the file and send us attached.

Please also inform us the motherboard model as well as the BIOS version. Please also send us the RAM power supply model, including its part number.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Kyle

AMD Global Customer Service

0 Likes
nanoshinonome
Journeyman III

This is my error according to Windows. I'll check with AMD via the user experience program.error.png

0 Likes

Dude maybe you can check this threat; https://community.amd.com/thread/229164 

0 Likes

Out of curiosity I know that model of power supply was made over 7 years ago. I literally just yesterday watched an interview with "Jonny Guru" aka Jon Gerow (not sure if i spelled that okay) of Corsair. He was saying saying that even their top end PSUs made or designed over 5 years ago are just not good enough with many modern GPUs. He says that the GPUs ramp up their power so fast that the power supplies can't supply the voltage or wattage not sure exactly how he said it, to basically keep up with the fluctuations on the GPU, thus leading to instability. I can't say that this is your problem by any means, but it might be worth trying if you can buy one retail and return it possibly if it doesn't help. This information was news to me but this guy is considered to be like the best of the best when it comes to power supply knowledge. So when I saw this video I thought of this thread and figured I would share.

Regardless of this new information about them, the power supply has traditionally been a great place to look for failure with instability in the system. Oh he also said to make sure (I already knew this) to not use two connections on the same cable to plug into a GPU.

brunoalves20015
Adept III

With my GTX 1070, you can normally use my 3200MHz RAM, already with RX5700XT, need to Disable or Ram Profile XMP, so it will be back to 2400Mhz, and you can use it with a limit of Frequency applicable to my Ryzen 7 1700x processor, ie I am leaving my Ram with 2666Mhz. With that, it's been 5 days that no longer get any KERNEL POWER or BSODS. Disabling the XMP profile in your motherboard BIOS as this may resolve the issue from time to time.

0 Likes