Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Constant Blue Screens

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I'm opening a new topic instead of hijacking this thread (Really nice of you AMD! (A10-5750M and HD 8970M) ) entirely.

I've got an MSI GX60-1AC with the following specs:
AMD A-4600M [with integrated Radeon 7660G ]

AMD RADEON HD 7970M / 2GB DDR5

16GB RAM

Windows 8.1 x64

3 days ago, I got a hard crash and have been having constant blue screens and crashes since then.

I've gone through the following process multiple times:

- Boot into safe mode
- Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to wipe all traces of the amd drivers

- Boot back into normal mode

- Install some version of the Catalyst and/or Crimson drivers (for multiple versions of both, including the initial ancient version that first shipped with the machine..)

I still experience constant blue screens unless I'm running in safe mode, I suspect the crash occurs every time the GPU gets turned on? How can I tell if I'm running on the 7970M at this point, the orange light [which is supposed to turn on only when running on the 7970M] is always on in safe mode/when the catalyst drivers aren't installed?

I've tried System Restore, to no avail, and have finally completely formatted and reinstalled windows from a fresh, newly downloaded windows 8.1 x64 ISO.

Following suggestions in the linked thread here: Really nice of you AMD! (A10-5750M and HD 8970M) , I'm going to try installing all the windows updates, trying Windows 7 drivers, and taking apart the laptop to "clean" around the 7970M, but I'm really open to any suggestions.

Is my 7970M fried? Is there any way I can know for certain? Does anyone speak enough Linux to walk me through finding out if I use a live distro (assuming linux provides a tool to answer that?)

What do I do guys? :\

Thanks for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Constant Blue Screens

Jump to solution

Sorry I am pretty much out of ideas on this one. It looks like your GPU has failed.
You could maybe see if you test your GPU in another laptop / PC to make sure it is definitely the GPU is the problem.
It might be the GPU overheated and you have broken solder ball connections from the GPU to the PCB. 
In that case you could try solder reflow using a temperature controlled airgun, and some solder reflow compound as a last resort (a better alternativve to oven baking).  

Examples here:

CS-FLUX application instructions for GPU removal or reflow (English subtitles) - YouTube - easiest.

Reballing AMD Radeon Graphics Card With HomeMade BGA Rework Station - YouTube   - just for your interest. 

I guess your only other option is to sell your laptop for parts and upgrade to a new laptop or PC if possible.
Now is not a ggood time to do a PC Build though. Memory and AMD GPU prices are extremely high.
Nvidia GPU prices have risen sharply as well over the past week.

Bye.

View solution in original post

59 Replies
slung
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

bump, I have the same issues with my gx60 (8650G + 8970M): following the ubilada fix works in windows 10 until I run the amd radeon settings software which installs my 8650G driver and then it crashes, gives blue screen and becomes severely unstable. Sometimes it work and the PC boots as normal, but when I start a game it doesnt switch it the AMD 8970M and crashes it with "BAD_POOL_HEADER" or "MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR" or ...

I've cleaned the inside, checked my RAM, switched the socket it is placed in, to no avail.

slung
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Interesting note, when I start my PC, the on/off button is always orange colored and the resolution is always very high - even in safe mode!

I don't know how to uninstall the drivers (if any?) (DDU & AMD cleaner do not help) so I get the worst resolution as is usually the case with clean pcs without drivers.

Do you have this as well? eliec

0 Kudos
eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

slung
> it works in windows 10 until I run the amd radeon settings software which installs my 8650G driver and then it crashes, gives blue screen and becomes severely unstable. Sometimes it work and the PC boots as normal, but when I start a game it doesnt switch it the AMD 8970M and crashes it with "BAD_POOL_HEADER" or "MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR" or ...

> I've cleaned the inside, checked my RAM, switched the socket it is placed in, to no avail.

Same here, and I find it amusing that the blue screens each give a different error message. It can't even decide what it's not happy with.

> Interesting note, when I start my PC, the on/off button is always orange colored and the resolution is always very high - even in safe mode!

Yes! I assume that without the Catalyst drivers, it keeps the orange button on all the time. Or it's the 7660G that's fried (well probably not).. BUt a high resolution is what I want (it's just regular HD) so I don't have a problem with that...

> I don't know how to uninstall the drivers (if any?) (DDU & AMD cleaner do not help) so I get the worst resolution as is usually the case with clean pcs without drivers.

DDU works for me, but you have to run it in safe mode and choose the "delete & restart" Option, but not the "Set windows device installation settings to default" It just deletes everything.

0 Kudos
eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I just took the laptop apart and took a peek inside. I was hoping to maybe see scorch marks or something if it was fried, but it looks very normal to my untrained eyes (albeit smaller than I expected)

IMG_20171211_135545276.jpgIMG_20171211_135604304.jpgIMG_20171211_135829368.jpg

0 Kudos
eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

After downloading the windows updates, I can now say (it's still not working):

1- There's a windows update that installs drivers for the 7970M. If I install that, I go back to constant blue screening.
2- Nothing else makes a difference. Installing the catalyst drivers (regardless of version) still blue screens.

I did manage to get the light to turn white at some point, but I have no idea how and as soon as I rebooted the blue screens came up and I ended up reinstalling windows.

Most recently, I installed the windows driver for the 7970M. Obviously it crashed. In safe mode I uninstalled them from the Device Manager and now have drivers for the 7660G (instead of just having Microsoft Basic Display Adapter). Orange light still on, 7970M still dead AFAIK.

This is exhausting and leading nowhere

0 Kudos
slung
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Ive done what you said for a week now and no result.. tried different ways of working, got the white light and crashes, i dont think its the 7970M but the 7660G that is being the problem...

0 Kudos
eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution
HTML

I spoke too soon. On restarting the 7660G now says: `Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)`.

@slung

> Ive done what you said for a week now and no result.. tried different ways of working, got the white light and crashes, i dont think its the 7970M but the 7660G that is being the problem...

Is that even possible?

Why isn't there an easy way to enable/disable gpus!

0 Kudos
eliec
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

You might be right btw. My fan is almost always on with this orange light.

0 Kudos
slung
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have a weird feeling if you install windows 10 and do everything ubilada says it will run smooth until the final installation which is the 7660g where your pc will start crashing again...

0 Kudos