Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Scarpio
Journeyman III

Computer refuses to display correct resolution

Hello everyone, 

To start things off I am at my wits end here. I recently bought a new pc and I am basically having to do a full factory reset of the graphics drivers almost every day. 

The problem is as follows. For most of the day -> every few days the computer will refuse to read the correct resolution for my monitor. I have a 4k monitor and it only reads 1600x900 resolution. Every forum or post I have looked up tells me its a problem with the graphics drivers, so I completely uninstall all my graphics drivers and delete them from the computer then do a full factory reset install of the latest graphics drivers from the AMD website. Now sometimes this works, but like today sometimes it doesn't. I have done a factory reset of all my graphics drivers 3 times now and it still will not fix the issue. 

In addition, the start of the issue is not the same every time. Most days the issue appears on startup of the computer. But like today it just crashed to 1600x900 while watching youtube. Some days a game will crash like among us and it will revert resolution to 1600x900. And the only fix I have found is doing multiple factory re-installs of the graphics drivers until it works again. 

Another thing I have noticed is that during the factory re-install while the screen is flickering it does register the proper resolution, but then when the install is complete it will not allow me to select a higher resolution than 1600x900. 

I do not have a ton of experience on the software side of things, and had my brother who is a computer engineer build the computer when the parts arrived. If you need any specs from me that I haven't provided please let me know. And if you can help me at all it would be greatly appreciated. I feel defeated and like I wasted $1,500 as I cannot even get the proper resolution when the computer turns on. 

Thank you all again for any help that can be provided. 

Specs:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

0 Likes
0 Replies