cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jstats03
Journeyman III

Computer randomly restarts after 6800xt install

Hi everyone, new here and fairly new to AMD so bear with me but I finally secured and installed an xfx merc 6800xt this past week and things were all good for about the first hour as I benchmarked various games and stuff to see how the card performed. Then all of a sudden my PC rebooted in a game, not a full crash, lights all still stayed on in the case, just a quick reboot with no warnings or anything. This was Wednesday night and I've now been testing and researching for the better part of 2 days. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all current AMD drivers including chipset just in case, I've half disassembled my PC and checked connections, I've downloaded numerous stress testing programs such and 3dmark and OCCT and tested every part of my PC from CPU to memory to PSU to GPU and it passes every test. I have a few month old Corsair CX750m PSU just for reference, the whole build is only a few months old actually and it was all just fine until added the AMD GPU. I've got a few friends that are much more knowledgeable in PC's than I am and have been trying everything they can think of but nothing has worked. The crashes only happen in games and many times within the first minute of playing so well before anything could heat up, not to mention I've been monitoring everything with no red flags and the aforementioned stress tests have shown no weak points. I've got a lot of information running around my head right now from everything I've been trying here so I'm sure I've probably forgotten something so feel free to ask and I'll do my best to provide more info if needed. All I can figure is I must be having driver issues which I've been informed is something AMD struggles with. What can I do? I've spent way more money than I intended (as it always goes with PC builds...lol) and months of time due to the struggle to find parts and now all I've got is a big pretty box for surfing the internet since any game crashes it. Please help me AMD, you're my only hope. Oh, almost forgot, I've checked the event viewer and it throws all sorts of errors and critical event but none of them seem to tell me anything helpful, just that the shutdown was unexpected. I exported the log of the past couple days with those events if there is some way to attach that but I'm not seeing it. Otherwise I do have that info saved if anybody needs to know any specifics about it. Thanks.

0 Likes
9 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

please learn how to write a text anybody is willing to help you with...

1. complete specs
2. use paragraphs

i suspect your power-supply isnt strong enough - 750W would be ok - but the CX750W is more entry-class...
a 90€ PSU for a 1000$ GPU = you see the missmatch here?

buy something like a BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 850W (220€) or the cheaper but also suitable BeQuiet DarkPowerPro 750W (180€)

this will fix your issues

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Benman 2785. Thanks for your rude response. Sorry reading is difficult. Very helpful. Merry Christmas.

0 Likes

Hi, 

I am sorry somebody was rude to you, I can't really help but I can say I've had a similar issue, though never crashing in games but when doing stuff on the desktop, I can pass stress tests like Port Royal just fine and pc doesn't crash with cinebench and furmark running at the same time.

Any luck?

0 Likes

Sorry I didn't update, kind of gave up on this post after that guy above. Ended up being a bad/damaged connector actually for the 24 pin power to the motherboard so I guess I wasn't getting adequate power delivery. So, not even the GPU, guess I hit something when installing that giant GPU...lol.

0 Likes

so it had to do with power delivery...

btw - i wasnt rude - just wanted you to understand why nobody else read your text

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Technically yes but it wasn't the PSU and yes you were rude. Implying I don't know how to write would be considered rude and then acting like I am stupid for the PSU I used would also be considered rude. So now I guess I'll return the favor. If how I wrote it kept people from helping me that sounds like a problem with them and their ability to read and I'm not going to dumb down how I wrote it for the sake of others...that's not my problem. Anyways I won't be back to this forum as it has proven to be pretty much useless as with most forums out there so say whatever you want I guess. Bye now.

0 Likes

i wont miss you.

but here some basic rules.

1. use simple sentences - not those your are "speaking".
2. give all information that is required
3. dont get pissed when someone is sounding rude - he may isnt a native speaker (like i am german)

btw - this here is a "users helping users" forum

0 Likes
Gambuuu
Journeyman III

Hey buddy,

I’m pretty sure that I have the same problem than you had, I can play some games, but even  if I use the texture in ultra, seems I’m using in low. And almost of the times all most of the games crash on the menu to the desktop. I also tried everything you tried and nothing, still crash every time, it’s desperate. 
For the first time in my life I had to leave my pc to the technicians guys. It’s a totally new setup. 

Cpu: 3600x amd

Gpu: rx6800xt gaming trio

msi: B550- A pro

ram: 32gb crossair 3200mhz 

nvme: 1tb

psu: evga 850w GQ

0 Likes

@Gambuuu 

hi,

your PSU is strong enough - so i dont think its the problem (unless its faulty - like one dude had a broken connector in his PSU)

i would suggest doing this:

1. upgrade BIOS to latest
2. CMOS
3. NO OC (also no XMP/DOCP)
4. install "21.2.2" with "factory-reset" option
5. reboot again
6. test

0 Likes