cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

enderloook
Journeyman III

Computer freezes when using Substance programs with AMD Radeon RX 580 and Software Adrenalin

I found that after using for a while (20 min) Substance Designer, the whole screen (not only the program) starts having artefacts. In those moments, the GPU is at 65 ºC, and if I wait until it gets cold again, usually these artefacts disappear, if I keep working, it freezes. But for any amount of decent workload (use substance painter), the computer freezes instantaneously.

My computer is:

• GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 with 8 GB of VRAM. (According to Substance wiki, that amount of VRAM is enough for 8k resolution, but I barely can handle 2k).
  • Motherboard: Asus MSA 78L-M.
  • CPU: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core.
  • RAM: 32 GB.
  • Hard Drive: 1 TB.
  • GPU Drivers: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 v20.2.2.

And the programs are Substance Painter 2019.2.0 and Substance Designer 2019.2.2.

I am not sure what is happening. I bought my graphic card specifically to use those programs, but it isn't working.

I read that Substance Painter isn't compatible with the following graphic cards, but I have understood that mine isn't in any of those groups:

• AMD Radeon HD 7700, R7 260, R9 290 and above.
  • AMD Radeon Pro WX-2000 / Pro Duo and above.
  • AMD FirePro W5000 and above.

Mine is RX, not Pro, HD, R7 nor R9.

Also, the minimum required drives for AMD required by those programs are:

• Radeon: 19.7.1
  • Radeon Pro / Firepro: 18.Q4

But my drivers are v20.2.2, so it should work.

I noticed that in the Substance Painter configuration I can't enable "Hardware Support Acceleration", which is a very important characteristic to enable sparse virtual textures (something that substance use to work faster), which is also odd because it's compatible with:

• AMD FirePro & Radeon Pro (Drivers 18.9.3 or higher)
  • AMD Radeon (Drivers 18.9.3 or higher)

And my GPU is AMD Radeon RX 580 with drivers 20.2.2...

I'm asking in this forum because the substance ones weren't very useful.

Any idea?

Thanks.

0 Likes
0 Replies