Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Aldebaraan
Journeyman III

Computer freezes exactly after some hours

The problem:
3 days ago, my PC started to freeze completely ALWAYS after 3-4 hours of usage. After some seconds the monitor would turn black as if it wasn't receiving anything from the gpu: I would be unable to log out, turn it off, or use the task manager. The only way to restart was through the power button.
Yesterday i did a factory reset through the AMD installer and everything returned to normal and i was able to use the computer all day.... until it happened again today.

So i can only pinpoint the source of the issue to the drivers.

GPU: RX 5500 XT 8GB
CPU: Xeon 2670v3
RAM: 24GB DDR4 2133MHZ
Driver version: 22.11.1

0 Likes
7 Replies
rekoj
Adept II

do you get BSOD after the freeze? install the 22.5.1 driver and see if happen again

0 Likes

No BSOD. Sounds like the music i was hearing still play but i'm unable to use the computer.

I installed 22.5.1 and will report in some hours.

0 Likes
kimikelku
Adept I

This is exacly the problem i have, since i use my computer for work, usually its turned on for about 8 hours a day.

I can tell you that when having more than 1 source of video, this happens, if i dont use anything that uses hardware acceleration, i dont have black screens.

My GPU is a rx5700, also the 22.5.1 driver doesnt have this problem, or at least i didnt have any problems with it. 

The other problem is that windows keeps updating the driver, and amd just ends up throwing an error saying the drivers version and the control panel version doesnt match, forcing you to use the latest 22.11.2, that is clearly broken.

0 Likes

I tried driver 22.5.1 and it worked fine for 1 day. Then today it started happening again. This is clearly a problem with AMD's drivers since reinstalling removes the problem temporarily.

Thankfully i'm using windows 10 LTSC with updates turned off and so it doesn't auto update.

0 Likes
Aldebaraan
Journeyman III

Used this .reg and no problem anymore.

0 Likes
Aldebaraan
Journeyman III

After some days it started happening again. The sad thing is that AMD doesn't even acknowledge that this is a problem, since for them the 5000 series doesn't exist anymore. The good thing is that i don't need to choose between AMD and Nvidia anymore for my next gpu.

0 Likes
mo44
Adept I

This sounds a bit like an issue I had struggled with a couple of years ago where after some number of hours my PC would freeze in a specific way where anything that was already in memory would work but nothing else would (it would also gradually get worse).

I eventually enabled Memory Integrity and found that that stopped this from happening.

0 Likes