cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mocyhomes
Journeyman III

computer blue screen when updating drivers

Yesterday when i updated from the current recommended drivers (i think 18.9.3) to the newest optional drivers ( 18.11.2) i used the clean install option and my computer started to blue-screen continuously unless i disable my AMD graphics card in safe mode.

when i went to try and reinstall the cards drivers (after i had uninstalled everything using ddu in safe-mode) it blue screened with an system_thread_exception_not_handled blue screen error. when i try and boot it up again it will make it to the login screen but the moment i log in it will blue screen again but with the error thread_stuck_in_device_driver instead.

i can start in safe mode and disable the card, which allows me to start in regular windows mode.

need some help please.

Update: i went and found a older driver (18.2.1) which appears to have worked, im going to assume that the current drivers are just too unstable.

i dont know if the old drivers will have issues or not.

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Raedon R9 M390X
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Alienware 15 Laptop (made by dell)
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • nothing at the moment, i used the DDU to remove everything
  • Display Devices
    • generic pnp display (from the device manager)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • BIOS Version/Date Alienware A10, 1/25/2018
  • CPU/APU
    • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Microsoft AC adapter
  • RAM
    • 16 GB

Message was edited by: cameron holifield

0 Likes
2 Replies

A 'new' AMD graphics update is a notification...not a command to install it. If you are having no issues with your current driver, there is no reason to apply the update. All 'updates' are "fixes".

You should use the updates furnished by the laptop manufacturer. You must update the Intel and the AMD graphics drivers.

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Laptop graphics update...How to

0 Likes
markwilliams
Adept II

You can also try this method

You need to start in safe mode and manually update all drivers. Use driver booster to figure out which are out of date

Additionally, please try these steps and see if they help:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-bsod-error/

https://dailytechposts.com/blue-screen-of-death/

0 Likes