Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hax0788
Journeyman III

Computer becomes unstable as soon as I install display drivers

My System:
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

ASUS ROG Strix B450-i Mobo (BIOS version 2901 - latest)

ADATA XPG 2x16GB PC-25600 @ 3200Mhz RAM 
VisionTek AMD Radeon Rx 5700 XT

Intel P660 M2 SSD (Latest firmware)

Corsair 850HX PSU (850W)

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Monitor:

Acer G235H - doesn't have HDMI, see below

Monitor is hooked up via DVI to a UGreen branded DVI-Female-to-HDMI-male adaptor, which then plugs into my Video Card's HDMI port.

Describe your issue:

When I install AMD Adrenalin drivers, the system rapidly, within 2-3 minutes becomes unstable to the point where I need to shut off/restart the computer, the screen goes into hibernation mode, and sometimes the computer even shuts itself off. I also get Audio cracking (even though I am using the audio line in on my motherboard and not the HDMI audio).

Things I've tried/things to note:
- Uninstalling/reinstalling Windows (this is a clean/new build - I've reinstalled windows fresh a few times)

- I've installed the latest AMD Adrenalin 2020 drivers (19.12.2) - system was unstable after install)

- I tried installing AMD Adrenalin 2019 (19.10.1) WHQL drivers - system was unstable after install

- I tried doing a custom install of both AMD Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 drivers, and AMD Adrenalin 2019 19.10.1 WHQL drivers, and just installing the Display driver - system was unstable after installs.

- In between each driver install, I booted into safe mode, and ran DDU to uninstall the previous drivers.

-Ran a Memtest on the RAM, all passed.

-Computer runs fine as long as I don't have the drivers installed. I've left it 2 days on all day with 0 problems without the drivers installed. Audio no longer crackles as soon as the drivers are installed.

- Uninstalled all GFX drivers using DDU. Installed previous video card (Nvidia GeForce 980Ti) and drivers. Runs OK. Video games work too. Will update if I run into issues, but for now, I'm thinking there may be a defect with this card. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Any additional info, please feel free to ask. I don't know what else to try at this point, please help, please!

Visibility:  Knowledge Base97301 Views
0 Likes
2 Replies
hax0788
Journeyman III

If I'm breaking some sort of rule, please let me know. I tried to follow the guidelines and be as helpful as possible in my post. Thank you.

0 Likes
shaby
Adept I

I remember when I got my 290X there were serious issues with the clock speed switching that made my system completely unstable. One thing you could try is installing 19.12.1 (many people report this working well for them), then installing MSI afterburner, and disabling ULPS in the settings. Also you could try setting all the clocks to the same frequency, like below.

2020-01-12 10_46_34-Window.png

0 Likes