cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

spikeypup
Elite

Re: CODE 43 PLEASE HELP

Yeah it seems like that is where this is heading.  Let us know how it goes!   Good luck!

spikeypup

0 Kudos
dookie
Adept I

I'm getting the same problem with MSI RX 460 2gb.  I also tried reinstalling the drivers, using DDU, etc.   The worst part of it is I called MSI, and they told me to contact AMD or Microsoft, but since there's no guarantee you would help, and I didn't want to get the run around, so the MSI tech suggested I do a fresh install of windows on a clean HD, which is not an option since I have no backup SATA HDDs at the moment, only IDE drives. 

Therefore, I did a "Windows Reset" using windows troubleshooting which basically uninstalls everything and reinstalls windows without removing my personal files. MSI support is terrible because I tried that, and I'm still getting "error 43," except now I'm missing all my programs/apps/games!

AMD Settings won't load.  All the online resources indicate it could be like a dozen different things.  I seriously doubt I got a "dud" because it was working fine weeks ago, which was when the new drivers came out, and I didn't even notice the problem until I fired up some apps that needed graphics acceleration (I don't game or use graphics intensive software every day).  There has some way to narrow it down.

Just to reiterate: this happened after I updated the Crimson drivers.  Everything was working fine, but I didn't notice the Error 43 until I tried firing up a game recently.  It could be a few weeks since this happened.

WIN 10 64bit

Z97S-SLI-Krait-Edition  (updated bios already earlier this year, no new firmware)

16gb RAM  1866mhz

i5-4690k

corsair 650W bronze

0 Kudos
dookie
Adept I

I wish I didn't do the windows reinstall because now all the OS tweaks and my apps are gone, and because I hardly game and I'm in a worse predicament.    This error code 43 is way too broad, and I guess that's Microsoft's fault.  Somehow I doubt they could help.   In any case, any way to narrow this down or troubleshoot/fix would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I tried an older version of the drivers too, still no dice.

0 Kudos
dookie
Adept I

UPDATE:

I'm not sure why my reply to this thread is still under moderation.  Is it because I said something negative about customer support from one of AMD's partners?  I didn't use foul language and simply explained my particular experience.  Oh well, perhaps the mods are just taking their time with new users.

In any case, I managed to fix this problem on my own.  This solution is probably not recommended unless it's the last resort.  I moved the card to a different PCI-E and that didn't help either.  However, after I flashed the BIOS on my MSI RX 460 to a previous version of the firmware, reinstalled the drivers, and now finally everything is in working order and the error code 43 went away.

Word of caution:  usually people tell you to flash the motherboard instead, but since I have the newest version of the firmware, I didn't do that.  However, flashing the graphics card firmware is extremely risky.  The first time I did it unsuccessfully, it turned my card into a brick, and I had to use integrated graphics on the motherboard while flashing the RX 460 again.

Still, I'm regretting doing the "windows reset" reinstall because I have to completely reconfigure windows and reinstall all my apps.  Please, tech support people, I understand a fresh OS install can solve many problems/issues.  However, don't just tell your customers this is what they should do when you run across an error code that you've never heard about.  It is extremely frustrating when it doesn't solve the problem.  Thank you.

gemini002
Adept III

Card was no good new card is fine..

0 Kudos
spikeypup
Elite

Great and sad to hear at the same time.  Obviously get your RMA in order to the MFG ASAP and let them know if you haven't already.  Thanks for letting us know!

0 Kudos
spikeypup
Elite

Dookie,

I can understand your frustration for sure.  Just a couple quick questions:

1. Have you tried downgrading drivers at all, or will no drivers install period?

2. Have you tried letting Windows self install the drivers from Windows Update?

3. Do the Integrated graphics on your i5-4690k show up in Device Manager as Good?

4. Have you tried running anything that requires acceleration using the Integrated Graphics, just to rule out some other factors that coincide with 3D?

5. Have you tried disabling the Integrated Graphics within the UEFI when having the RX installed?

6. Did you use DDU to uninstall ALL graphics software on your system, did you also try the AMD cleanup tool?

7. When install RX drivers are you using the Clean Install option?

Note:  When you have a new user account, moderation occurs.  Even my posts can get moderated and I've been here some time, not sure what triggers it on mine sometimes, probably just the length or when I use a lot of links, probably when the links are external to AMD.

Let us know how it goes, I'll look forward to your replies!  Also a few posts higher up you'll see I posted instructions on some certain windows reports, if you want to run those and send them back, that could prove helpful as well.  Thanks!

Spikeypup

0 Kudos
dookie
Adept I

Spikeypup,

Since I already resolved the problem myself, I need no further assistance.  However, I'll still try to answer your questions in case it you find it useful while helping others.  I fixed it by flashing the firmware on my MSI RX 460.

1)  The drivers would install, both 17.7.2 and 17.9.2 would install, but of course the problem was the exclamation symbol and "error code 43" under Device Manager.

2)  Yes, I tried removing the card from Device Manager and letting it install drivers automatically from windows update.

3)  Yes, the integrated graphics from the motherboard was good the whole time.  After I flashed the RX 460 the second time, and it was back in working order, I went and disabled it from BIOS since I don't need to use it at the moment.

4)  and 5)  The only time I enabled the integrated graphics is when I turned my graphics card into a brick from the first unsuccessful flash of the firmware.  After the second successful flash, I went back and disabled it again.

6) I used DDU to remove all the graphics software several times after install and reinstalling, including after MSI support told me to do a fresh OS install.  However, I never used the AMD cleanup tool.

7) I wasn't aware there was a "clean install" option or at least I don't think I was prompted.

Thanks for your reply, but I had already resolved this issue on my own, no thanks to MSI tech support.   Again, please don't tell customers/users to reinstall windows when you come across people with this "error 43" driver problem.  I managed to fix it by flashing the RX 460's firmware.  Now, I'm using crimson 17.7.2 with no issues at all so far.

0 Kudos
gemini002
Adept III

I tried to flash bios but same issue .. That vega card was a dud..

0 Kudos
spikeypup
Elite

Dookie,

Glad you got it fixed.  Yes I understand your frustration with the Windows Reset Option, that's why I never recommend it unless it is the last resort and it is obvious to me that it will work, because I like you, have no desire to reinstall all my apps and settings.  Thanks for answering the questions, it's helpful to gain knowledge into the situation.  Just so you know, the answer to number 7 is that YES there is an option to do this in the Radeon installer, you must select "Custom Install" NOT Express, and then it will ask you if you want to do a 'Clean Install'.  This will then remove all drivers and reinstall them from "scratch" for your RX product.  Note that it will remove all AMD drivers including some chipset drivers and will need to reinstall those as well, however this process typically goes off without a hitch.  Just be sure to NEVER stop or cancel an install in progress, I've got some horror stories if you walk down that path.  Anyway, Cheers!

Spikeypup