cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jroberts134
Newcomer

Chipset Driver Bug: USB ports have different polling rates (affects all ryzen systems)

When using standard WinUSB drivers on Windows 10 Ryzen systems, only USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 Gen 1 ports are polled every 8 ms. USB Gen 2 ports (and USB 2.0 ports) are polled at 16 ms, which causes unnecessary issues in certain use cases where a timeout occurs waiting on the new input. This also affects internal USB headers.

This was found using a gamecube controller adapter by Nintendo with standard WinUSB drivers (installed via Zadig). However, I have reproduced the polling rate issue with other hardware.

This occurs across all Ryzen platforms (including laptops).

It can be worked around by using a 3.0/3.1 Gen1/3.2 Gen1 port directly on the motherboard, but not everyone has these available if more hardware needs to be polled at 8ms. Also, laptop users might not have any ports that work properly.

Can the chipset drivers be changed so that the polling rate is consistent (and minimized) across ALL USB ports on Ryzen platforms?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Aluz
Journeyman III

That would explain why I suddenly can't use my wireless Logitech receiver via USB 2.0; my mouse would often stutter and freeze unless the receiver was plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

0 Likes

Make sure you report this to AMD and your motherboard makers support department. Contact AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes