cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jltskfl
Journeyman III

Checkerboard screen unless I use Microsoft Basic driver RX560

So about six weeks ago I started getting a usually pink checkerboard pattern over my entire screen, coupled with total system lockup.  After about ten seconds, the screen goes blue and/or black, followed by the normal screen coming back and normal operation, or in rare cases, total system lockup and/or reboot.  This would happen every 10-300 minutes, making PC use a PITA and at worst, blowing away work I was doing.

I don't game, I only use desktop applications.

I tried the latest drivers from Radeon every which way.  The problem persisted, but with the new drivers when this would occur, a window would open from the drivers saying the video card had an error, and driver/board was reset....do I want to make a report to AMD.  I made about fifty reports.

To solve this issue, I went all out.  It should be noted that the same problem existed after each troubleshooting attempt below.  Sometimes, the PC wouldn't even stay on for 3 minutes without total lockup after some of the tries.

- Replaced RX560 card with exact same card, brand new

-Tried Radeon drivers back to 2019
- Cleared drivers using DDU, and tried installing just the drivers without the additional Radeon software
- Tried new MB drivers, chipset, etc. (MSI x570 AMD Meg ACE)
- Updated MB BIOS
- Tested all memory and SSD
- Tested video card using FurMark.  It should be noted, during the hour long test, my RX560 never reached temperatures that caused the fan to turn on 100%, and the issue did not occur during the FurMark test.
- Monitored hardware temps
- Attempted to isolate different running programs
- Tried plugging in my USB devices to different ports and purchasing new mouse and keyboard
- Wiggled power and other cables
- Wiggled graphics card in socket
- Reinstalled WIN 10 from scratch, 2017 version
- Reinstalled WIN 10 from scratch, newest version
- Meticulously replaced EVRY SINGLE PC COMPONENT, costing me hundreds.  Yes, everything.  One part at a ^$#@*&#$@ time.  Installed new WIN 10 each time. This includes a totally new monitor and new HDMI cable.

Finally, I put together my original PC, reinstalled WIN 10, and rolled the WIN 10 default AMD video driver (October 2020) back to the Microsoft Basic Video driver, and I've been running days now without the issue occurring.  It is ABSURD and PATHETIC that the MS basic driver works and AMD's don't.

I can only imagine some forced WIN 10 software or driver update is ultimately the issue, although I don't see much on line about checkerboard problems.  Clearly it's not hardware.

I assume since these forums exist, AMD actual support is unavailable even if paid?

I don't know what is going on that the basic driver works and the AMD drivers do not all the way back to 2019.  I don't game, and so if the PC works in this configuration, I guess I'm good to go, although I assume with the MS basic I'm not accessing all of the video memory.

0 Likes
0 Replies