cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jl5086
Elite

Certain games @30hz at all resolutions?

Problem is this:  In Wolfenstein: YoungBlood and World War Z when the game loads it changes my monitor to 30hz refresh rate, and it does this no matter what resolution I choose.  I have an RX5700 XT connected over HDMI to a TCL 55S401 4K tv, which runs natively at 3840x2160 @60hz in windows, and in most other games they also run just fine at this resolution just fine, and when I lower to 1440p or 1080p they still run fine, and always at 60hz.  In wolfenstein; youngblood, if I run it in borderless window mode then I will get 60hz, but if I try full screen it switches to 30hz.  But with World war Z, even in borderless or windowed modes  it still sets the screen at 30hz no matter what, even down to 720p.   I am sure it's not a bandwidth issue, because all other games have no trouble running at 60hz all the way up to 4k, in both borderless and fullscreen.   This TV has game mode which can be enabled manually if wanted, but whenever a game starts it automatically enables game mode, and you cannot disable it when it says "game mode enabled by console", but again this shouldn't be the problem since all the other games that work fine also force the use of game mode. 

Now,  if I switch from Vulkan API to Directx 11,  the problem is solved, the refresh is right back at 60hz, but this is still a problem, because I didn't buy the latest hardware to run my games directx 11.  I have always been 100% AMD when I build my rigs, and have been VERY happy with them, now it looks like game devs might be using Vulkan more and more often in the future, if this is the case I really feel it necessary to find out why this particular API is causing me troubles.  I really don't know what to do at all here, from what I have read, all the required resources are installed via the GPU drivers, as opposed to Directx, which is installed separately, by the games or by windows, and therefore is easily uninstalled, repaired or updated by the customers if needed.   Besides these few games having display issues, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus flat out refuses to load, giving a slew of Vulkan related errors when attempted.   I am concerned that a game released mid 2019, and seems to have chosen to forego using DX12 altogether to use Vulkan instead, may indicate more games in the future also going that route.   Given the fact that I really can't do much at all to try and "repair" the Vulkan issues,  I am just left checking daily for GPU driver updates, and hoping it may improve this.   If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

p.s.  I have tried clean install of display driver (and other versions)  also a complete reinstall of Win10 was done.

0 Likes
2 Replies
jl5086
Elite

I thought I would add an update since I've had no response here so far.  So I went and purchased Red Dead Redemption 2 the other day, and sure enough if I try to run it in Vulkan mode I get nothing but 30hz on my screen, regardless of whether I actually have the in game settings on 60hz or 30hz.  So again another game which is unplayable using the Vulkan API mode.  I am getting very disappointed here, the game runs fine in DirectX 12 API, so it's definitely a vulkan issue.  It is not the monitor because on my samsung screen, it does the exactly the same thing.  I really can't find a single other place to get support for this problem, Rockstar games just says it's definitely more a GPU manufacture/ Driver issue, and Vulkan doesn't have any support available anywhere, and no downloads or troubleshooting of any sort that I can find.  Just to recap, EVERY game which uses the Vulkan API forces the GPU output to a refresh rate of 30hz, no matter what the resolution/refresh rate is actually set to, and this is if the game will actually load.  Sometimes I can play it in "Windowed mode" and the refresh will be OK, but then I have to either play in a little tiny square, or play the game in 4K (which unfortunately this 5700xt just cant even come close to reaching 60fps anyway, so whats the point?)  I will try swapping in my rx580 today and see if it changes anything.

0 Likes
jl5086
Elite

it would be really nice for some help with this STUPID problem!

0 Likes