cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

majaczos22
Adept I

Catalyst installer doesn't install display driver

I reinstalled my Windows (7), I did a clean install so I thought it would be the time to try the new GPU driver. I have an old GPU (HD 7770 GHz Edition) and I was using older Catalyst driver because it was working fine.
So with the clean start I installed AMD Adrenalin 18.9.3 which shows as the newest for my setup. Since then I had regular errors about "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" when using Firefox browser. It seems like a known bug because even now the newest Navi cards do the same in Firefox when hardware acceleration is on.
I know such error message can be caused by failing hardware but it's not the case - I had ZERO issues on Catalyst, I have zero issues now when I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox settings. It's a driver issue.

So I decided to go back to the good old Catalyst. I downloaded the 15.7.1 version from AMD's website which should be compatible with Radeon HD7000 series. I uninstalled old (well, technically new) drivers, I used DDU in safe mode to get rid of the remains but when I tried to install Catalyst - it failed. It failed to recognize (?) and install the GPU/display driver. It only installed AMD HDMI audio driver and AMD Catalyst install manager. Question mark is there because install log shows that it identified my GPU (0x683d) correctly! (screenshot attached)

I don't know what's going on anymore, I tried a couple of times with the same result. Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Replies
majaczos22
Adept I

Ok, since Catalyst 15.7.1 didn't work I managed to download 13.4 from Guru3d (hopefully it wasn't corrupted becuase it was modified), installed with no issues, GPU works like a charm. With hardware acceleration enabled there are ZERO issues, no "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" errors whatsoever.

There is a very new Windows 7 x64 driver for the HD 7777 GPU card at AMD Download page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd-radeon-hd-7770-g... 

Here are some Previous AMD Drivers for the HD7777: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series/amd... 

See if any of those newer drivers works without crashing or having GPU errors. If not then install again the very old Catalyst Driver since you know it works.

If fact, if that old driver is working, as you said, without any problems and you are happy with it. Then don't bother updating and possibly have more issues.

Use the above links as a future reference in case a game or program requires newer drivers.

0 Likes