cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jbclem
Journeyman III

catalyst 14.4 display driver not installing

Trying to install in WinXP the Catalyst 14.4 package.  The Install Manager log reports success in everything but the AMD display driver(FAIL...Driver Install: the driver package is not signed).  And in Device Manager I'm told the drivers for this device are not installed(Code 28).

I downloaded the package from this page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-6000-series/amd-radeon-hd-6570 .  It was revision 14.4, 179 mb in size, dated 4-25-2014.

I first removed and uninstalled a previous Catalyst installation and so started from scratch.  But the problem is still the same.  Does anyone know how to correct this problem and get a good driver installation.

0 Likes
2 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

The system date must be correct and the system up to date with Windows Update.

0 Likes

Since you have such an old Windows OS, here is Microsoft's explanation and troubleshooting tips on various Device Manager errors including Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314464/how-to-troubleshoot-unknown-devices-that-are-listed-... 

Troubleshooting hardware issues

To determine the cause of an unknown device, use one of the following methods:

• Remove hardware devices from your computer

Remove hardware devices one at a time until the unknown device is no longer listed in Device Manager. Be aware that this method may be time-consuming and is not always reliable.
  • Determine whether the device driver is digitally signed

When you install a device driver, and Windows detects that it is not digitally signed, you may receive a warning message and the option to cancel or continue the installation This message is displayed only if your computer is configured to display a warning message whenever an installation program tries to install a device driver without a digital signature.

Note A device driver that is digitally signed can still be listed as an unknown device in Device Manager.

For more information about driver signing for Windows, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

You can block the installation of device drivers that do not contain a digital signature. Use this approach when you want to prevent any deliberate attempts to destabilize the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type control sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Click the Hardware tab.
  3. Under Drivers, click Driver Signing, and then click Block - Never install unsigned driver software.
  4. Click OK two times.

To view a list of device drivers installed on your computer that are not digitally signed, use either of the following methods:

• View the Setupapi.log file

Look for entries that resemble the following:
    The file (C:\Windows\inf\ntapm.inf) is not digitally signed, ignoring driver date.
    Installing section epatapi_inst from C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\parallel port test drivers\epatapnt.inf
    An unsigned or incorrectly signed driver (C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\parallel port test drivers\epatapnt.inf) was installed for Parallel ATAPI Adapter.. Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
    Copying file C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\parallel port test drivers\epatapnt.mpd to C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\epatapnt.mpd.
    An unsigned or incorrectly signed driver (C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\parallel port test drivers\epatapnt.mpd) was installed for Parallel ATAPI Adapter.. Error 0xe000022f: The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information.
  • Use the File Signature Verification tool

The File Signature Verification tool lists all the unsigned drivers that are installed on your computer. It creates a Sigverif.txt log that is located in the %SystemRoot% folder. Use any text editor (for example, Notepad) to view the file. To use the File Signature Verification tool to display a list of drivers that are not digitally signed, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type sigverif, and then click OK.
    2. Click Advanced, click the Search tab, and then click Look for other files that are not digitally signed.
    3. Click to select the Include subfolders check box, and then click Browse.
    4. Locate and select the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers folder, click OK two times, and then click Start.
    Review the list, and then contact the driver manufacturer for information about how to obtain an updated driver that is digitally signed.

USB devices that are based on earlier versions of the USB specification may create ghost devices that appear when the device is connected, and then disappear when the device is disconnected. Also, the device may work fine, but may create a disassociated unknown device. This is typically caused by firmware that is either outdated or configured incorrectly. In this case, contact the device manufacturer for updated firmware.

A ghosted device can appear if you manually install a driver for a Plug and Play device that the computer has already detected and installed. You can resolve this issue by deleting the ghosted device.

0 Likes