cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tnefele
Newcomer

CAnnot Installing Drivers Or Update Windows 10 - r9 290

I have an AMD Radeon r9 200 series GPU. When i bought it 2 years ago i downloaded amd catalyst driver and it has worked fine with no issues.3 days ago i decided to update my driver to the latest one(AMD Radeon Crimson) because my old one had no option for advanced resolution adjustments that I had to use in order to record my screen for literally only 2 minutes.So I uninstalled the old software and installed the new one.At first I managed to install it and also use it to record my screen,but later on I realised that its not working and my amd gpu wasnt even used nor detected by the pc.So i tried uninstalling it many times and installing other versions of the software(obviously,compatible with my windows 7 OS and my gpu...).When installing all these other drivers(including the one i first tried that managed to install successfully but wasnt working),i kept getting errors(error 1603)(everything but AMD Display Driver installs successfully) and also instead of my graphics card name,display adapter in device manager got changed to Standard VG Graphics Adapter...After many attempts i started going through forums and videos trying to find a solution,i tried using DDU and uninstalling everything AMD related,i tried all the solutions listed on your website.At that point i almost gave up but than I realised that I havent updated windows in almost 2 years and later on I saw that windows should be fully updated before attempting to install the drivers on the forum.BUT this is when my other problem comes in,my windows updates keep failing...I keep getting errors and even tho i have also tried many solutions for this I couldnt fix it.I assume it has to do something with my GPU not being detected by my pc(because I have no drivers for my GPU and I cant install them)...Now,I have no idea what to do...I'have spent last few days trying so hard to fix this and i got nowhere.Cant install AMD software cause my windows is not updated and I cant update windows cause my driver is not recognized.Help please.......

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

That doesn't mean you have no problems, btw...;)  Look, your system is *riddled* with malware and viruses--do yourself a *big* favor and dump Win7 ASAP.  If you don't then you can look forward to a *lot* of this in the future.  Do not reinstall Windows 7.  Do not upgrade from Win7 to Win10 (which would preserve all of your installed programs, but which you can't do because you let the malware run wild and you don't want to bring that forward.) Instead, do a format C:\ followed by a clean install of Windows 10--the latest release version is terrific, btw.  Then rebuild your installed software base.  Had you been taking care of business regularly you would not need to do any of this. 

Quote: "i already tried sfc scan but it showed no problems."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
43 Replies

Usually, there will be a folder created..."old" that will have things like pictures, etc saved.

You probably have a OS reinstall function on your laptop...check here for which keys activate it (or check with the laptop manufacturer/owners manual). 4 Ways To Factory Reset Your Windows Computer

0 Likes

I dont have a laptop.

0 Likes

So there is no way to save my data somehow and just reinstall windows? Since I have 1TB of important stuff I dont wanna delete so Im just wondering.

0 Likes

Download a free version of Easeus TODO PCTRANS. creates an image of most of your installed programs on an external Hard drive. After reinstalling Windows, Reinstall TODO PC TRANS and use it to transfer back all the programs back to the new Windows. You can choose which programs you want to transfer. Some programs you may need to "Repair" or Reinstall though. It is not the best, but it is free and at least you won't have to start from scratch. You can also google PC TRANS type programs and see if there are other better ones you can use.

By the way, Have you tried an ingrade Repair of Windows? Basically is reinstalling Windows on top of the same version using an .ISO file.

Also download Spybot - seek and destroy. It is similar to Malwarebytes and also is free.