cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tnefele
Newcomer

CAnnot Installing Drivers Or Update Windows 10 - r9 290

I have an AMD Radeon r9 200 series GPU. When i bought it 2 years ago i downloaded amd catalyst driver and it has worked fine with no issues.3 days ago i decided to update my driver to the latest one(AMD Radeon Crimson) because my old one had no option for advanced resolution adjustments that I had to use in order to record my screen for literally only 2 minutes.So I uninstalled the old software and installed the new one.At first I managed to install it and also use it to record my screen,but later on I realised that its not working and my amd gpu wasnt even used nor detected by the pc.So i tried uninstalling it many times and installing other versions of the software(obviously,compatible with my windows 7 OS and my gpu...).When installing all these other drivers(including the one i first tried that managed to install successfully but wasnt working),i kept getting errors(error 1603)(everything but AMD Display Driver installs successfully) and also instead of my graphics card name,display adapter in device manager got changed to Standard VG Graphics Adapter...After many attempts i started going through forums and videos trying to find a solution,i tried using DDU and uninstalling everything AMD related,i tried all the solutions listed on your website.At that point i almost gave up but than I realised that I havent updated windows in almost 2 years and later on I saw that windows should be fully updated before attempting to install the drivers on the forum.BUT this is when my other problem comes in,my windows updates keep failing...I keep getting errors and even tho i have also tried many solutions for this I couldnt fix it.I assume it has to do something with my GPU not being detected by my pc(because I have no drivers for my GPU and I cant install them)...Now,I have no idea what to do...I'have spent last few days trying so hard to fix this and i got nowhere.Cant install AMD software cause my windows is not updated and I cant update windows cause my driver is not recognized.Help please.......

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

That doesn't mean you have no problems, btw...;)  Look, your system is *riddled* with malware and viruses--do yourself a *big* favor and dump Win7 ASAP.  If you don't then you can look forward to a *lot* of this in the future.  Do not reinstall Windows 7.  Do not upgrade from Win7 to Win10 (which would preserve all of your installed programs, but which you can't do because you let the malware run wild and you don't want to bring that forward.) Instead, do a format C:\ followed by a clean install of Windows 10--the latest release version is terrific, btw.  Then rebuild your installed software base.  Had you been taking care of business regularly you would not need to do any of this. 

Quote: "i already tried sfc scan but it showed no problems."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
43 Replies

Thanks for the fast reply,I have tried all of that(im doing sfc scan now again tho) but didnt work.I REALLY dont wanna reinstall windows by the way.

0 Likes

The thing to remember is, after you run the update(s) and reboot...go to Windows Update and run it again. Do not stop until you get this message:

Also, make sure you have WU set to:

Yeah,I dont have that ticked I will try it now.

0 Likes

wow.pngI just spent like 5 hours waiting for this update and it ends up like this...

0 Likes
tnefele
Newcomer

This is ridiculous...I spent so much time trying to fix this...my GPU works fine,i dont understand why I cant install the drivers or update windows...

0 Likes

Hi,

Did you try System Restore to restore your Windows 7 installation to the point before you removed your AMD Drivers?
Not guaranteed solution but  ... it might work.

Bye.

0 Likes

Nah,I dont have the restore point and its been like 7 days since it happened.I managed to find a working gpu driver yesterday(amd catalyst 15.4.1) and this is the one I used to have one week ago(it worked fine but i wanted to try the new one).Even tho it has installed successfully, my GPU is still not detected by my PC...When I try to update the Standard VGA Adapter in the Device Manager i get the same message(check the screenshot i attached in the main post).I dont understand why my GPU cannot be detected,its working properly and I installed the AMD catalyst now but its still not working.Windows update has nothing to do with this because im not using the latest AMD driver...

0 Likes

Then use whatever driver works. Forget about any current/new driver...you won't be able to install them until you update your OS. 

0 Likes

But even tho i installed the old driver,my GPU is still not working,the driver uses Standard VGA Adapter instead of my AMD Radeon R9 200 series...aha.png

0 Likes

Like I said at first...update your OS. Many people have had the update issue...I did a reinstallation 2 months ago. If you follow the advice in the link I gave you, you can install all the updates. Quite frankly, everyone who has read it and followed the directions​ complete the updates. So....

0 Likes

Are you saying that I should reinstall my windows or that there is a way to update it?

0 Likes

Okay,will try it again.

0 Likes

27a789d6d21f3d7d5d204cb4f5d0de93.pngNope,still cant update it...I literally did everything from those forums and it just wont update.I guess it has to do something with the driver than.Btw,I uninstalled the Standard VGA Adapter and now i only have a Video controller(VGA compatible) in Other Devices.e1a8e96968e886790c989d0240c6b537.png

0 Likes

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/949104/how-to-update-the-windows-update-agent-to-the-latest...

How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version

Applies to: Windows UpdateWindows 8.1Windows 7 More

If you have automatic updating turned on, the latest version of the Windows Update Agent is downloaded and installed automatically on your computer. Or, you can manually download and install the Windows Update Agent.

Resolution

Automatically download the Windows Update Agent

To download the Windows Update Agent automatically, follow these steps:

1. Turn on automatic updating. Follow these steps, for the version of Windows that you are running.
  2. Restart the Windows Update service. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Press the Windows logo Key+R to open the Run box.
    2. Type services.msc in the Run box, and then press Enter.
    3. Right-click Windows Update in the Services management console, and then select Stop. If you are running Windows XP, right-click Automatic Updates, and then select Stop.
    4. After Windows Update stops, right-click Windows Update, and then select Start. If you are running Windows XP, right-click Automatic Updates, and then select Start.
  3. Wait for Windows Update to start, and then verify that the Windows Update Agent is updated.

Manually download the Windows Update Agent from the Microsoft Download Center

Click the download link for your version of Windows to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent.

Stand-alone packages for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

Stand-alone packages for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Note Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 with update 2919355 already include the latest version of the Windows Update Agent.

More Information

If you receive a Windows Update error, try Solutions for common Windows Update errors.For more information about how to check which version of the Windows Update Agent is installed, follow these steps:
  1. Open the %systemroot%\system32 folder. %systemroot% is the folder in which Windows is installed. For example, the %systemroot% folder is C:\Windows.
  2. Right-click Wuaueng.dll, and then select Properties.
  3. Select the Details tab, and then locate the file version number.
Note The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8.1 is 7.9.9600.16422. The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 8 is 7.8.9200.16693. The latest version of the Windows Update Agent for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is 7.6.7600.256.
Improvements in version 7.6.7600.256 of the Windows Update Agent
  • A hardened infrastructure so that the Windows Update client will trust only those files that are signed by a new certificate. The certificate is used solely to protect updates to the Windows Update client.
  • A more secure communication channel for the Windows Update client
Improvements in version 7.4.7600.226 of the Windows Update Agent
  • Improved scan times for Windows updates
  • Improved Windows Update UI for computers that are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
  • More visible and detailed descriptions of updates
  • Improvements in how users are notified about service packs
Issues that are fixed in version 7.2.6001.788 of the Windows Update Agent
Version 7.2.6001.788 of the Windows Update Agent fixes the following issue. This issue was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
  • When you try to install 80 or more updates at the same time from Windows Update or Microsoft Update, you receive a "0x80070057" error code.
Improvements in version 7.2.6001.784 of the Windows Update Agent
  • Improved scan times for Windows Update
  • Improved speed at which signature updates are delivered
  • Support for Windows Installer reinstallation
  • Improved error messaging
Issues that are fixed by version 7.0.6000.381 of the Windows Update Agent
Version 7.0.6000.381 of the Windows Update Agent fixes the following issues. These issues were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
  • The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crashes on a Windows Vista-based computer. For more information, see An update is available to fix a Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) crash on a Windows Vi....
  • A fix is included that reduces the number of restarts that are required for the stand-alone installer when Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI) files are being used.
  • User interface elements in the Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese languages are fixed.
  • The Windows Vista installation experience is improved.
Windows Update helps keep your computer up-to-date and secure by downloading and installing the latest security and other updates from Microsoft. Windows Update determines which updates apply to your computer.

Microsoft periodically makes software updates available to users of Windows and other Microsoft software. These include updates that improve reliability and performance, updates that provide new protections against malware and other potentially unwanted software, and upgrades to Windows features. To improve the performance or the reliability of hardware components on the computer, Microsoft may also provide updates to device drivers that are supplied by the computer manufacturer.

If you turn on Windows Update, software components that are directly related to Windows Update will have to be updated occasionally on your computer. These updates must be performed before Windows Update can check for required updates or before it can install other updates. These required updates fix errors, provide ongoing improvements, and maintain compatibility with the Microsoft servers that support Windows Update. If you disable Windows Update, you will not receive these updates.

Windows Update is configured to install updates automatically when you select the recommended option during Windows Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) Setup. You can also turn on Windows Update by selecting one of following settings in the Automatic Updates item in Control Panel:
  • Automatic (recommended)
  • Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
  • Notify me, but don't automatically download or install them
After you turn on Windows Update, the required updates to components of Windows Update will be downloaded and installed automatically without notifying you. This behavior occurs regardless of which setting you use to turn on Windows Update. If you do not want to receive required updates, you can disable automatic updates in Control Panel.

The updates to Windows Update itself typically do the following: Address feedback from customers, improve compatibility, service performance and reliability, and enable new service capabilities. When the Windows Update server is updated, a corresponding client update is typically required. During an agent self-update operation, Windows Update Agent files may be added, modified, or replaced. For example, Windows Update Agent files that help display the user experience or that determine whether updates apply to a particular system may be added. This behavior occurs when a system is set to automatically check for available updates. This does not occur when automatic updates are turned off. For example, this behavior does not occur if you select Never check for updates in Windows Vista and Windows 7 or if you select Turn off Automatic Updates in Windows XP.
Administrators will receive the latest version of the Windows Update Agent for deployment through Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).

Yeah I have the latest version of Windows Update Agent,errors are still here...same errors everytime.It takes like 5 hours to install and than at the end it just gives me the errors,I have tried so many things and just cant get it to work.

0 Likes

I cannot even start windows defender or troubleshoot problems.Again getting errors.c080478a067a67af270b8d30c82200ce.png

0 Likes

Possible...not likely..you have a virus. Download a run Malwarebytes (free) and do a THREAT scan. Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal | Malwarebytes

0 Likes

4423c38f87af4f56f8b2f09c1f834749.png

0 Likes

666....omen The Beast has taken over your computer...

You did delete all of them didn't you?

God bless

So Im going to wait for this thing to scan and will delete all the bad stuff and than tomorrow will try updating windows again.

Run the scan again after you delete the malware...see if it got them all..

0 Likes

Still getting the same errors after deleting all the bad files and restarting PC.It takes like 2 hours for 100mb update to get to 12% and than it crashes. Helppppppp

0 Likes

I feel like I've tried everything about the windows update...It just cant update with the missing display device I guess.I tried installing it manually and it just fails again,cant start windows troubleshoot it also fails,cant start windows defender it also fails,all games and programs dont work obviously cause gpu is not properly installed...

0 Likes

Looks like you are going to have to re-install Win7 from scratch. Make sure you do all the updates...good luck.

0 Likes

Try this if you don't have a disk > Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

0 Likes

Try running a system check. Open a command prompt as Administrator. Copy/paste this in the window   sfc /scannow  and run it. Any file that was found and couldn't be repaired..do this > Fix SFC /scannow errors that were not repaired

0 Likes

i already tried sfc scan but it showed no problems.

0 Likes

When going to Device Manager>action>add legacy hardware>display adapters I can add intel express family chipset or something...Is there a way to use that in order to update windows and than after updating windows,adding the amd gpu?

0 Likes

That doesn't mean you have no problems, btw...;)  Look, your system is *riddled* with malware and viruses--do yourself a *big* favor and dump Win7 ASAP.  If you don't then you can look forward to a *lot* of this in the future.  Do not reinstall Windows 7.  Do not upgrade from Win7 to Win10 (which would preserve all of your installed programs, but which you can't do because you let the malware run wild and you don't want to bring that forward.) Instead, do a format C:\ followed by a clean install of Windows 10--the latest release version is terrific, btw.  Then rebuild your installed software base.  Had you been taking care of business regularly you would not need to do any of this. 

Quote: "i already tried sfc scan but it showed no problems."

0 Likes

For someone who doesn't maintain their computer, that's good advice.

0 Likes

Alright thanks guys,I think ill just transfer some things that I need on my external hd and do a format C:\ and hopefully install windows 10 this week.

0 Likes

Hey,I transferred some folders I needed to my external disk,now Im going to format the C:\ drive and install windows 10.I was wondering do I need a windows CD or can I format it and install windows 10 without a CD or anything?

0 Likes

Thank you guys,after formating my disk and installing windows 10 all the drivers just updated instantly.

0 Likes

Can I save all my data before reinstalling windows?

0 Likes