cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pkdrums
Adept I
Adept I

Cannot install latest drivers for Radeon 6870 (Windows 7)

Jump to solution

Windows 7 x64

Intel i5 2500K 3.3 GHz

Z68 Exreme3 Gen3 Mobo

2x Radeon 6870s

Every time I try and install any of the latest drivers for my Radeon 6870s, I seem to be unable to complete the installation properly. I've tried (non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.2.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb27), and (amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit). In both cases, during installation I get two popups referring to an issue with digital signatures (see attachment). Since windows recognizes it as an unsigned driver I think it does not allow it to install properly. This popup occurs for the ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, and the HDMI Audio driver. When I reboot afterwards, the CCC software or the equivalent settings software for the crimson drivers is installed, but when I attempt to open it it says that no AMD drivers are installed or were possibly installed incorrectly. Windows is stuck using the default VGA drivers at this time.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

Used DDU to clean everything between various install attempts. I tried turning off digitally signed driver requirement in the advanced boot menu (F8 during startup), and found the same issue. I attempted to turn off the program comparability assistant service and found the same issue. Disabled windows defender and firewall, still nothing. Tried to install (amd-catalyst-15.7-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit), found the same unsigned driver popup.

Where I am now:

I've used the display driver uninstaller to remove everything, and then found older drivers from the AMD website. I installed amd-catalyst-omega-14.12-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit and was able to get everything back to the way it was.

Any suggestions as to how I could properly install the latest drivers would be amazing! Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amdpete
Staff
Staff

Re: Cannot install latest drivers for Radeon 6870 (Windows 7)

Jump to solution

It looks like the Microsoft and AMD certificates have expired for those legacy drivers.  I will have to see what we can do about that.  You can still install the latest legacy drivers but you would have to enable test signing to do it.

Press Start->Search->cmd then right-click on it and click Run as administrator. In the CMD window type or copy this:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

and press enter. then restart PC

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Is your computer fully updated? SP1? Are the relevant 'Optional' updates installed, including the required C++ and .netframeworks upgrades?

pkdrums
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Trying to figure that out... I had windows update off for a few months, turned it back on recently. It says "Windows is up to date, there are no updates available for your computer". But I have a hunch that it may not be.,.. Many of the updates in the update history are listed as "failed". Is there some way to get windows to fully update itself? windows update history1.jpg

0 Kudos
pkdrums
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

It seems as though no matter what I try, I cannot get windows 7 fully updated. Manually downloaded updates won't install, fail, or tell me they are not applicable for my system. Windows update just runs "checking for updates" infinitely. I've spent hours and hours on this now.

Is it possible that installing windows 10 will resolve the issue and allow me to fully update my AMD drivers? I've been avoiding it but if updating 7 fully is impossible I'm willing to make the leap.

0 Kudos
amdpete
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

It looks like the Microsoft and AMD certificates have expired for those legacy drivers.  I will have to see what we can do about that.  You can still install the latest legacy drivers but you would have to enable test signing to do it.

Press Start->Search->cmd then right-click on it and click Run as administrator. In the CMD window type or copy this:

bcdedit /set testsigning on

and press enter. then restart PC

View solution in original post

pkdrums
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Unfortunately I just tried installing the crimson drivers in test mode and ran into the same issue, the popups about the digital signatures that I describe in my first post. There must be some way to get these crimson drivers to install.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon
Paragon

Jump to solution

I'm just wondering why you're bothering to update. I'd bet a virtual beer it won't make anything better for your old vidcard.

As for installing win10. Do it.

Also.. you seem like an intelligent person so grab the latest versions of..

1) OOSU10.exe  (O&O shutup)

2) Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4

these will help address privacy/security issues you may not like in Win10.

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution
pkdrums
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

It seems I've found a way to get the drivers to run finally.

fixed by typing in cmd:

Bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON Bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Then rebooting in advanced options and selecting "disable driver signature enforcement" and driver then attaches at boot.

This worked like a charm for me with the crimson 16.2.1 for my Radeon 6870's. The only thing now is that I have run these codes every time I reboot my computer, or it goes back to not running the drivers. If anyone has any idea about how to get this to stick permanently I would greatly appreciate it!

0 Kudos