cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ezemeriggi
Adept I

cannot install drivers for Gigabyte 5600xt Gaming OC, BSOD during installation

New pc with fresh windows installation so no older driver issues.

The GPU is working because it displays image and let me install windows and boot into it but when I try to install latest radeon adrenalin drivers (20.2.2) it crashes during installation. A black screen appears and the system doesn't work anymore.
I tried to remove the old drivers in safe mode using DDU but it wasn't enough so I had to reinstall windows.
I tried with the same driver and old drivers (20.1.4, 20.1.3 and 20.2.1) and the same thing happened again.
Don't know what to do.
PS: I also tried using the stock bios and the FAO bios from gigabyte which is the BIOS that enables 14Gbps on the memory.

0 Likes
2 Replies
werty66
Journeyman III

If it's any consolation, you aren't alone in this issue.  I recently switched from a 980 GTX to a Radeon 5600 XT.  I thought the swap would be painless but it seems I was sorely mistaken.  I uninstalled the nVidia drivers using DDU and even did a fresh install of Windows, but I cannot seem to get the drivers to install properly.

Initially, I managed to get the install software to run and install a driver, but noticed some issues when playing iRacing.  I could get 120+ FPS no issue when viewing a replay, but once I started racing, my FPS tanked to 35.  I have no explanation for this other than the driver was not installed properly.  I've also noticed some other AMD software trying to install on startup, and upon agreeing to install, it tells me that the driver is corrupted and must be reinstalled.  Once I try reinstalling, it freezes windows and forces a reboot.

I tried uninstall the driver using DDU (wiped AMD folders and everything), but I keep having the same issue.  I've tried installing it in safe mode but it continues to freeze and reboot.  I contacted AMD but they haven't responded yet.  I'm seriously considering just sending it back and getting an nVidia.

0 Likes

I contacted both AMD and gigabyte.
Amd asked me to do a clean driver installation using DDU and perform a clean boot OS.
Things that I've already done.

Gigabyte on the other hand asked me if by any chance I have any other GPU. Which was a great idea, actually I have a gigabyte 5700xt which is working properly.
So I swapped the 5600xt in the system where the 5700xt is (which also has the radeon adrenalin 20.2.2 already installed) but it didn't work.
The system boots but the radeon software doesn't seem to recognize the 5600xt.
It says "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly . Please install the AMD driver appropiate for your AMD hardware".
Then I put the 5700xt back in and everything worked like always.
So it seems that the caurd is faulty or the driver isn't recognizing the 5600xt which is odd since this driver is new and is supposed to recognize the 5600xt

0 Likes