cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dr_henrik
Adept I

Cannot install chipset driver 2.04.04.111 on X399 chipset

I get the message 'This installer is intended to be deployed only on an AMD system. Exiting installation as the requirement is not Satisfied' when I am trying to install the driver. This is after uninstalling the the version 2.01.15.2138 which still will install fine on the system. I am running an ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING mobo and AMD Threadripper 2950X processor. 

Can anyone please suggest how to solve this issue?

17 Replies

Here is the latest X399 Threadripper Motherboard CHIPSET Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-tr4/x399 

Try using Microsoft Installer/Uninstaller Troubleshooter to uninstall and install the latest version of the CHIPSET. It has helped other Users to install AMD CHIPSETs in the past. I have attached it to this post for you to download and use if you want.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed for your Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA 

Unfortunately Windows 10 is generating the exact same error message still. I am running Bios Version 1203 i.e. the latest BIOS. The question is what has changed in the installer executable from V 2.01.15.2138 which is working.

0 Likes

Did you utilize the Microsoft Troubleshooter?

See if this Asus Support page on how to install and uninstall AMD CHIPSET helps any: [Gaming NB] Update driver - How to install AMD chipset driver ? | Official Support | ASUS Global 

NOTE: Before installing the latest CHIPSET driver make sure the following folder is deleted C:\AMD CHIPSET.

0 Likes

I have followed all the steps and still get the same error message from the installer implying It is not an AMD system.

What processor do you have installed?

0 Likes

I am running an AMD Threadripper 2950X.

0 Likes

I am really at odds on why an AMD CHIPSET will misidentify your motherboard as a Non-AMD Motherboard.

Personally sounds like some sort of corruption in your Windows Registry. just my opinion.

You mentioned a previous AMD CHIPSET installs correctly without any issues correct?

Then I suggest you leave the previous AMD CHIPSET installed for the time being until a new version of CHIPSET comes out that you might be able to install properly.

Meanwhile open a Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form  and let them know the problems you are having. Maybe they seen this before.

Maybe amdmatt‌ or @Ray_M  the Moderators here at AMD Forum has seen this before and knows a fix or work around.

0 Likes

Thank you for taking your time helping me out, I have opened a ticket with the AMD support, thank you for their contact info.

This User just opened a new AMD Thread with the same exact problem you are having: https://community.amd.com/thread/251661 

I mentioned for him to reply to this thread also.

The more Users that start complaining about this CHIPSET bug the better for AMD Support to become aware and try to provide a future fix.

0 Likes
rojmiller
Journeyman III

The issue seems to be related to the bios that is installed on the system. On my system with a relatively recent MSI bios (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B), the new installer worked perfectly. On an otherwise identical system, but with an older bios (prior to AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab), I got the same message as above. My solution was to install an older driver from: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 . The latest one that worked was 2.01.15.2138, from Jan 16 2020.

yrofddragon
Journeyman III

I am having the same issues on my ASUS X470. It is not Bios related as I have done no such updates before this issue occurred. I am assuming something happened via an MS update or something

0 Likes
keithdsz
Journeyman III

I have an x570 MEG ACE with the latest bios (v19). I've been plagued with this issue ever since I updated to the 2004 version of Windows 10.

I finally found a workaround for this. Keep in mind this might not work for all. My username has two spaces in it. This apparently was causing an issue with the installer. I tried changing the TEMP and TMP paths to no avail - driver extracted but installation failed with error 1603.

Here's how I solved the issue:

Enable the built-in administrator account with the following cmd command (elevated/admin mode - your user account needs to have administrator right)

net user administrator /active:yes

In order to set a password for this account type this command next:

net user administrator <Password>

where <Password> is the actual password you want to use for this account.

I'm not sure if setting a password is necessary for everyone, my admin account seemed to have a password already (I don't remember setting it), the above command seemed to overwrite/reset it.

[more details about the above commands may be found here: Windows 10 tip: How to enable the built-in Administrator account (and why you shouldn't) | ZDNet ]

Log into your admin account (switch user/log out of your present account and log into the admin account).

Download the latest amd chipset driver for your board and install it.

Mine worked without any issue.

If you want to disable the admin account:

1. Log out of the admin account

2. Log into your normal user account

3. Enter cmd (elevated mode)

4. Type the following command: net user administrator /active:no

5. Exit cmd.

The drivers installed in the built-in admin account should be visible the add or remove programs list of your default account.

The main issue with this clunky method is that you need to go into the admin account to reinstall this driver, at least until amd resolves this issue.

I also think it might be possible to simply create a new account with admin privileges without any space in the username and install your driver. (Haven't tested this myself)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

I also had a User Name with spaces in it.  I tried the exact work around described and can confirm it also solved the issue for me, logged into the master Admin and it installed promptly without any further problem. 

Seems odd that the User account having spaces in the name would have any effect on the Installer seeing the AMD chipset on the machine.  I wonder if it has to do with the last Windows hotfix for 1204?  Almost like we're back in the DOS age, lol.

0 Likes

Works for me too. There is a bug for the installer when the user account name folder has a space.

0 Likes

worked but now i am getting installation failed issue.

0 Likes

this way worked for me ...  on asrock b550 pro4

0 Likes

Oh, it's worse as of 7/27/2022.  Not only did I have to go through the whole 'create an administrator account' thing, but the installer COULDN'T FIND WHERE IT PUT THE FILES.  I literally had to use the error logs to hunt down the executables and run them, and when they DIDN'T run (3 out of 5 drivers) I had to go to each driver folder and manually install them.

I finally got it done, but - AMD WHAT IS THIS CRAP??? I CAN WRITE BETTER CODE THAN YOU.

0 Likes