cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

alexdan
Journeyman III

Cannot install any crimson driver.Freezing during installation and blackscreen during every subsequent boot. HD8850m w Intel HD 4400 enduro

Hello!To start with the sidebar for social media is going over my text when i write the reply.Back to more important issues.I've been having the issue with the installer freezing up my system for the last two days.Before that i've been having intermittent issues where i would find my screen black, recently right before i tried reinstalling the drivers amd started throwing driver not responding and recovering errors.Next day i checked the driver itself in device manager and it had just the basic one windows basic adapter.I decided to do a reinstall so i used DDU uninstaller and went trough the process.When i started the setup process the system hanged for a second while at installing the driver at 19% then freezed my system at 39% when it says that it's installing amd settings and ever since then it keeps doing that.I tried doing unistalls, updated windows, the most recent oem drivers for the onboard intel graphic board which are a month old i think or 2 max.The problem it seems to be with radeon settings and the crimson part of the package.What is more wierd after the windows update the laptop booted with the original driver from windows and i tried to install 16.8.2 over it but it froze at 19% permanetly this time.After each freeze i can only boot in safe mode, and normal mode if i remove everything with ddu or amd cleanup utility.

My laptop is a dell inspiron 3537 with the service tag HZ18702.

Motherboard:...

GPU: HD 8850M rebranded as a r9 200MX and intel HD 4400 graphics enduro tech.

Driver versions: 16.8.2 16.7.3(now none works).

Update:I just tried the 16.8.3 hotfix and now the installation process goes up to 59% at amd system branding or settings branding and then freezes with all the other symptoms.

I have used kingfish's way to install drivers ever since i bought my laptop almost two years ago because there was an issue with windows 8 and enduro tech.I also disabled windows installing it's own driver over mine because it used to do that every time i booted the laptop.After the windows update i had to do it again.

Update: I deactivated windows update for the intel onboard graphics card and the amd dedicated one, did a clean reinstall of both intel and amd and now it is again stuck at 39% at AMD Settings component.

I'm really dissapointed with amd, i've been having various issues with this laptop's amd hardware at times but i found solutions for them.

Update2:I just managed to install Version 15.201.1101, A01 from my dell laptop page.It is incredibly outdated and has the CCC not crimson.I suspect the issue  is with crimson.Maybe someone from AMD will get around looking into this problem,i've lost faith into the company atm and i am incredibly frustrated with the whole situation.I lost days trying to fix this.

Update3:Gave it another go using the newest intel driver from the intel website still the same problem.I'm still running on the 1 year old drivers.This problem popped up a few days ago.

0 Likes
13 Replies
alexdan
Journeyman III

Re: Cannot install any crimson driver.Freezing during installation and blackscreen during every subsequent boot. HD8850m w Intel HD 4400 enduro

No response whatsoever?amdmattray_mfsadough

I have put the event logs when i tried to install the 16.8.3 driver.The only driver that is working for me is a year old not even crimson and has unbearable performance in games.Can someone help me pls?

0 Likes
rafaelfranca
Journeyman III

Re: Cannot install any crimson driver.Freezing during installation and blackscreen during every subsequent boot. HD8850m w Intel HD 4400 enduro

I have the same problem. You upgraded to Windows 10 Anniversary (14393)? I am using the latest update available 14393.105. But in my case, the video card is the HD7730M. I've seen reports that have to do with the secure boot.

I will try to install the driver you mentioned. Currently my laptop is unplayable. I can not install any video driver.

0 Likes
alexdan
Journeyman III

Try the leshcat unified drivers if you also have an intel integrated card.The thing is i didn't have any sort of problem until this month and  i didn't do any change to my laptop apart from installing a codeck pack, i even did the upgrade after the troubles started.Make sure to clean with ddu or amd cleanup utility after every uninstall.

0 Likes
alexdan
Journeyman III

I managed to install 16.8.3 .I did a hard reset of windows 10 with keep my files option then i started to install the drivers the usual way but it didn't work, i had the same problem with amd. I ran ddu again and then did any updates that i had. Windows installed it's own drivers i don't know if it did so for the intel onboard too.After that i started the installer for amd without deleting anything and it worked but then my computer froze when i was at the blue restart screen.I did a hard shutdown and when i started again i had no issue. I hope it helps someone, i tried to fix this for days now and i'm relieved i finnaly got it to install.

0 Likes
ronguard
Adept I

Hello,

I'm having the same situation since February. I tried to find a solution but I only found a guy with the same problem.

Installing AMD Display Driver crashes my laptop and Black screen boot. - Laptops - Laptop Tech Suppo...

Every time I try to install the AMD drivers my laptop freezes in the middle (might be the same percentages as you), so I have to manual restart it, the computer freezes again after 1~2 minutes since the reboot, so I had to disable the AMD graphic card on Device Manager and only use the Intel one.

Even the version from windows update have the same issue.

I just gave up.

I'll try this catalyst version later, could you tell me all the steps you did?

Windows 10 Pro x64

AMD HD 8850M/R9 M265X

Intel HD4400

DELL Latitude 3540

alexdan
Journeyman III

Ok i'll try to list the steps as best as i recall them:

1.I did a hard reset of windows 10 with keep my files option.

2.Immediately after i tried to install the drivers using the ddu cleaner method and i had the same problem.

3.Cleaned the amd drivers using ddu in safe mode to get back to normal.

4.Ran windows update until it had nothing to update which in turn installed windows drivers for my card not windows adapter but actual drivers.Of note here after i installed the intel drivers i never touched them again so i don't know if windows installed it's own drivers over them but i find that unlikely.The intel drivers were from the dell website as they were quite recent.

5.I went to amd and selected my board and options manually and downloaded drivers again(i went for m200x drivers and not the hd 8xxxm ones, it is a bit confusing with the rebranding stuff) so maybe try 8xxxxm if 2xxm one doesn't work, i don't know it is any actual difference because in device manager it shows the new name except when i install dell or windows drivers.

6.After it installed i went for restart but as the blue windows screen was displaying Restarting... my system froze and i did a hard reset again.When it booted back up there were no problems or issues and i had none to this day.

7.I disabled windows update's ability to install drivers over mine for the graphics cards because this happened in the past and they were older versions than what i had installed.

PS:At every prompt and after every install/change i restarted accordingly.

0 Likes
hoangdung95xt
Journeyman III

Hello!  I have the same problem with windows 10, did you find a solution?? Thanks
My laptop is 3537 - i7 - 8850m & 4400

0 Likes
ib1994
Journeyman III

same issue here, notebook samsung np670z5e-x01hs

intel i5 3230m, radeon hd8850m, intel hd4000

windows 10 (build 14393.447)

kingfish
MVP

0 Likes