Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wimpers
Adept I

Can't install RX 580 HDMI audio driver for Windows 7

Hi,

Since a few months or so the HDMI audio driver for my RX 580 is not working anymore and I also can't install it by hand with the .inf file.

But the device ID is not the same in Windows 7 as the one in Windows 10 where it works...

In Windows 7 the ID is VEN_1002&DEV_AAF0&SUBSYS_AAF01458&REV_00 but in Windows 10 it's VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100, the DEV_ID is AAF0 on 7 and AA01 in 10.

In both Windows' the GPU and audio device are listed under the same PCI to PCI bridge in the device manager so it must be the same, no?

Any way to solve this? I tried older versions of the driver package but there the DEV_ID's in the .inf files don't match too so I cannot install them.

But it just couldn't have changed now, could it? It also works fine in Ubuntu with the same ID as in Windows 10.

0 Likes
11 Replies

This is the Device ID for Windows 7:

and for Windows 10:

Here is the AMD Windows 7x64 Graphic Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580 

Run the AMD package and see if HDMI Audio is showing under Device Manager - Sounds,Video etc.

If AMD HD Audio is not listed. Then go the the native HD Audio Device and use Driver Update to guide Device Manager to the AMD Installation package created at C:\AMD and see if it installs the AMD HD Audio.

But first remove the current AMD Graphics package and then install the Windows 7 Graphics package and see if AMD HD Audio is showing after following the below procedure:

When you install or remove the current AMD driver use this basic method to remove and install the AMD Graphics driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

EDIT: You do have your Main Audio device connected to your RX580 GPU card correct?

Perhaps I failed to mention that I already tried this, this is in fact kinda what got it started.
I sometimes had very poor performance in Borderlands 3 a few months ago, 15-20 FPS instead of 60 so I installed a previous version of the driver at that moment with a restore of the factory defaults but this did not solve the issue so I reinstalled the latest version at the time.

Then I noticed the audio part was not installed anymore, so I tried to install the driver by hand via the Hardware manager but all methods failed. The automatic one, the one where you browse to the .inf file (that found no compatible hardware) and forcing an install by first selecting the type and then also pointing to the .inf file. The last way gave a warning about a possible incompatible driver because of a HW/SW mismatch but this also fails with an error that the system cannot find the specified file(s). Executing the MSI in the driver directory does not work either because this needs to be installed via the main Adrenaline installer.

Also, if one takes a look at "C:\AMD\Win7-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.7.2-July14\Packages\Drivers\Audio\HDMI\W764A\AtihdW76.inf", you can see the vendor and device ID's and they only mention VEN_1002 and DEV_AA01 and not the needed DEV_AAF0 to match the hardware.

I'm no hardware expert but it's kinda weird that the same hardware has a different device ID in different Windows versions, this should mean that those Windows use a different audio processor on the same GPU.

The only reason I've came here is that there is nothing to be found about this on the whole www. I also have been a computer (PC) enthousiast since 1996 and an IT professional (mostly Windows servers and clients) since 2001 so most of those things don't have any secrets for me.

And last but not least, I have 2 other audio devices in my system, a Realtek onboard HD audi and a PCI Sound Blaster XFi card. Both still work fine...

0 Likes

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) and ask them their recommendation to fix your problem from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Generally when I am updating a driver using Device Manager I just guide it to the folder where the driver is located. Device Manager will search the entire folder and choose the correct driver automatically or tell you there are no compatible drivers.

In you case, I would just direct Device Manager to search the C:\AMD\Win7-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.7.2-July14\Packages\Drivers\Audio folder and see if it finds the correct driver to install.

As you know you can only have one Main Audio Device checked in Windows Sound Panel.  Whatever you have checked as the Main Audio device is the one that will have sound working all other sound will be disabled.

I mentioned this because you said you have two other Audio devices, Your motherboard's own Realtek audio driver and PCI Sound Blaster XFI card.

If your Main audio device is using Sound Blaster as your main audio device then all other audio will be disabled.

I would remove the Sound Blaster card and see if your GPU AMD Audio driver starts working or is showing in Sound panel as active or needs to be checked as the Main Audio Device.

Plus, it is possible, the Sound Blaster card is preventing the AMD HD Audio from being enabled or is in conflict with the AMD driver.

EDIT: Here is my Sound Panel with my Bluetooth Headphones checked as the Main Audio device. I have my AVR connected to my GPU card via HDMI cable to get 5.1 Surround Sound but it is disabled as long as I have my BT Headphones connected. As soon as I disconnect my BT Headphones it automatically switches to my AVR Surround Sound (HT-R380) as the Main Audio Device and then I have sound coming from there.

0 Likes

Yeah, I guess I'll contact them but I though I this might have been a know issue. 
Or that they dropped official support for Windows 7 but still provided you with working drivers because it's been half a year since Microsoft dropped support. But this does not seem to be the case as they are still available for download and is not mentioned AFAIK.

And as I said, Windows has very little to no secrets for me. Drivers sometimes can be a PITA to to work but most of the time it's point and click. There's also a USB headphone I use from time to time and this is also just plug and play.

pastedImage_1.png

Normally there should be 3 or 4 more AMD HDMI audio devices there, I never had any conflicts with DMA or IRQ's. I have never ever used them but they should be there and ready to use, luckily AMD and Windows are not like Apple... 

I'll leave this thread open for now and update it if it gets (or doesn't) get solved.

Regards,

Wim

0 Likes

Sounds like a good plan.

I am not an IT Professional as you are, but sometimes even the best troubleshooter overlooks the most simple solutions at times.

I was just covering the basics since you have clarified what you have done in your situation. 

Hopefully you won't get a canned answer from AMD Support but some good advice.

Good luck and take care

elstaci

NOTE: One last suggestion. Try the RX580 on another compatible computer and see if AMD audio is installed and recognized. If it is then is something with your computer. If it doesn't than possibly you have a defective GPU card.

Also try a different video output on the GPU card to see if AMD audio will install and recognize in case the HDMI port on the GPU card is defective.

0 Likes

I have Win7 and RX580..no issues at all. My AMD drivers are the same as you mentioned for Win7... HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1007

I would try installing (clean install using DDU) the 19.12.1 drivers...they work for everybody. If you see the same issue...then I would look to all your add on sound devices.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/rade... 

Nah, doesn't work either. And I had already kinda done this with the AMD installer and safe mode.

I also don't have another PC but the card is definitely not faulty, it's software related. I also don't have time to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on another disk because I'm pretty sure it will work.

And it worked a few months ago, it just stopped after some tinkering around with previous drivers for performance in a specific game. But as long as you used the provided AMD installers and tools this should not happen...

I'm just gonna wait for the support ticket to come through.

wimpers
Adept I

Well as expected AMD support has not been any help. 

First of all the only suggestion they made was reinstalling a previous driver version (even after reading this thread) but I did not do that because this has already proven not to solve the issue. And they also wanted the DirectX diagnostic reports but since there were no problems there they were pretty worthless.

Now they are hiding behind the fact my BIOS is too old, July 2014, is a no no with a motherboard that is about the same age. And that Windows 7 is EOL and I need to upgrade to Windows 10.

0 Likes

Look elsewhere for your problem....I have Win7, same RX580, and a Intel motherboard that is so old it will not support Windows10.

Drivers install and work fine.

0 Likes
jason33160
Journeyman III

For those who still have this issue, this may solve your problem. I have a Gigabyte H97-D3H, and encountered exactly the same issue where the hdmi audio option wasnt showing at all. I have to update the audio driver of the motherboard and install again the AMD driver(sequence is important) then it works fine now. I am using window 7 as well

0 Likes