cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

darius00
Adept I

Re: Can't install amdgpu drivers on Ubuntu 20.04.1 (5.4.0-56-generic)

Jump to solution

@mountkiddMy gpu is r9 390.  I tried "./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,rocr" like you suggested in fresh install, but still have same problem - black screen after restart. Can't enter terminal using alt + f4 in this black screen.
At the end of drivers install I get these warnings:
DKMS: install completed.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-45-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/green_sardine_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/dm-2
I: (/dev/mapper/vgubuntu-swap_1)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this.
Setting up amdgpu (20.50-1232447) ...
Setting up vdpau-driver-all:i386 (1.3-1ubuntu2) ...

mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@darius00   Those are just warnings for firmware on newer cards and can be ignored.  The R 390 is a legacy card, so the rocr can be left out.

Were there any other msgs after the setting up vdpau...? 

You may have to try other alt+Fn keys.  alt+F4 works on my systems, other users have had success with something else.  After boot, wait for disk light activity to subside, then try alt+F1 give it a few seconds, if nothing then alt+F2..F7 in turn with a few seconds in between each.

I think you are very close to having it running...

Tags (1)
c_zagarskas
Adept II

Jump to solution

darius00

I can confirm I too am having the same problem.

Even on a FRESH system (ie: MB, blank SSD, Vega 56 GPU, LTS 20 fresh install from the USB - right "out of the box" so to speak)
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amdgpu-pro-20-45-amdgpu-dkms-fails-on-fresh-install-ub...

I have to press "left ALT key + RIGHT arrow key" couple times to enter into GRUB
login and then run "amdgpu-pro-uninstall" in order to get past the black screen. 

c_zagarskas
Adept II

Jump to solution

vtcrno
--no-dkms does not exist in this version of amdgpu-pro

When I enter that command I get an error that says it's not a valid tack on option...

c_zagarskas
Adept II

Jump to solution

bridgman
Did the 3-18 release happen?

I downloaded what I thought was the new version on the 19th (and again today on the 20th) and still ended up with errors (even on a new system build) - Went here:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-45
got this one: amdgpu-pro-20.45-1188099
=> dpkg: error processing package amdgpu-dkms (--configure):
(and from there, the cascade is dependency errors)

bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

re: did the 3/18 release happen ?

Yes, I tried entering a few different chips in the driver download page (most recent was RX5700) and each time it pointed me to the 20.50 download. Here's the page I ended up on:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-...

re: no-dkms

My recollection was that no-dkms was only an option for the all-open install option and not for --pro. When I was asked I was told that one of the components (probably OpenCL) could not work with an upstream driver. That surprised me... checking to see if it is actually true.

Anyways, if you were trying a --pro install please try without it, and vice versa.

And yes, I will get my butt into the office in the next couple of days and bring home a test system so I can actually try these things out rather than just making suggestions. Having only one Linux box at home is pretty limiting.

ableeker
Adept II

Jump to solution

@mountkidd The particular command, amdgpu-install --headless --no-dkms --legacy=rocr, serves a specific purpose, but probably shouldn't be used by everyone. By the way, the no-dkms parameter used to work with amdgpu-pro-install, but in 20.40 or so it has been changed, and now only works with amdgpu-install. The end result is the same however. Like I've explained in earlier posts, I use these particular parameters to install only OpenCL, without changing the amdgpu stack, and without building a kernel module.

I want to do this, because I wanted to run Folding@Home, the massively distributed application that can be used to calculate the structure of the covid-19 virus (which has the focus at the moment I believe, but can be used for other medical purposes). For this application, and some others like blender, and darktable, I needed a working OpenCL 2.0 with image support.

I also didn't want to change the amdgpu stack, because that's great for running games and other 'ordinary' applications.

This was complicated by the fact that I was running Ubuntu 1910 that wasn't supported, and failed to install. Later I switched to 2004, that once again wasn't supported, and I'm currently running 2010, that yet again isn't supported. This is because amdgpu-pro-install will try to compile a kernel module, which only works when you're running the right kernel version. So I wanted to run the upstream version.

And last but not least, because the GPU I'm using is a Vega 64, I didn't need, or want to install Orca, only RoCr (used to be PAL).

Fortunately, all this is possible if you use amdgpu-install with parameters opencl=rocr (only install RoCr, don't install Orca), headless (only install OpenCL, use existing amdgpu stack), and no-dkms (don't build the kernel module).

This installation may not be for everybody, however.

But because I install this way, I also noticed a bug that's been introduced in 20.45, and is still present in 20.50. Installing amdgpu-pro this way just ignores the no-dkms parameter. When you're installing 20.45, even though you tell it not to use dkms with --no-dkms, it will try to build the kernel module, fail, and adding insult to injury, will then blacklist amdgpu, so Ubuntu will fail to boot to the normal graphics mode.

0 Likes
ableeker
Adept II

Jump to solution

Versions of amdgpu-pro 20.45, and 20.50 display a new bug, caused by the use of RoCr, instead of PAL. The current versions of RoC since 3.5.0 render Luxmark 3.1 benchmark images incorrectly using the default compiler options. You have to disable the fast relaxed math option to render correct images. This may well indicate that fast relaxed math is broken in RoC.

amdgpu-pro used to display correct images with fast relaxed math enabled. However, because 20.45, and 2050 are using RoCr now, they now exhibit the same behaviour as RoC. So with these versions if you've enabled fast relaxed math, Luxmark will render incorrectly, and you'll have to disable fast relaxed math to render correct images.

0 Likes
darius00
Adept I

Jump to solution

@mountkiddtrying multiple install combinations with ./amdgpu-install and ./amdpgu-pro-install and always getting same result - black screen after restart. While in dark screen no combination to open terminal like alt+f1..f12 or ctrl+alt+f1..f12 works. Only ctrl+alt+del to restart works. Drivers installation gives no error. This is entire installation log: https://pastebin.com/m1akZYVk

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

The install log looks OK - can you pastebin /var/log/kern.log after an unsuccessful boot ?

0 Likes