cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aminlv
Adept I

Re: Can't install amdgpu drivers on Ubuntu 20.04.1 (5.4.0-56-generic)

Jump to solution

well i tried them anyway
beside if i dont use usr/bin/amdgpu-pro-uninstall.... after every fail attempts 

it dont even boot

all i see is black screen

0 Likes
mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@aminlv   When you booted to a black screen, did you try alt+F4 to get a login prompt?  Doing this might have allowed a login followed by startx to get the gui back.

0 Likes
mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@bridgman 

>>> We should have a 20.50 driver posted on Thursday (3/18) with kernel 5.8 support. <<<

Success - 3x! 

Installed amdgpu 20.50 on 20.04.2 w/5.8.0-45 kernel.  Clean install w/ amdgpu-install -y  --opencl=legacy,rocr --no-dkms --headless.  Video on this host is fglrx vintage, Thames 7500M, so main driver is MESA/Clover

Installed amdgpu 20.50 on 2 other hosts w/ RX480 20.04.2 & 5.4.0-67 kernel.  Clean installs w/ amdgpu-pro-install -y  --opencl=legacy,rocr.

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

That's great. Apologies for the delay but glad to hear it's working now.

0 Likes
aminlv
Adept I

Jump to solution

screen with alt+f4 flickering unable to type...

with alt+f2 manage to login to console but sudo startx refused to run...

in the end u reinstall whole OS and retried with

sudo apt-get install -y linux-image-generic

sudo apt-get purge ......

after that i didnt get error code 1

however i get this warning 

WARNING: nomodeset detected in kernel parameters, amdgpu requires KMS

i still see black screen but in console i confirmed gpu seems installed

wondering how to fix this part now..

its like solving 5000 pieces puzzle =_=

0 Likes
bridgman
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

>WARNING: nomodeset detected in kernel parameters, amdgpu requires KMS

Guessing you have this in your grub settings ? Nothing is going to work while nomodeset is there.

>sudo apt-get install -y linux-image-generic

If you use the newly posted 20.50 driver you won't need to go back to the generic kernel - a stock 20.04.2 install should work.

0 Likes
ableeker
Adept II

Jump to solution

After restarting the computer, I couldn't start Ubuntu normally, I only had a low res image. This occurred after 20.45 failed to install. Not only had it ignored the --no-dkms parameter, it had blacklisted amdgpu as well! I had to remove the blacklist before I could boot normally.

0 Likes
darius00
Adept I

Jump to solution

GPU: R9 390
Installed fresh ubuntu 20.04.2.  Kernel 5.8.0-45. Original drivers are "radeon". Everything would be good, but always after ~10minutes of usage screen goes dark.

trying install AMDGPU drivers  20.50, but after install just by .amdgpu-install or with parameters - .amdgpu-install -y --opencl=legacy,rocr --no-dkms --headless   after restart ubuntu can't boot anymore. Always black screen.

Black screen doesn't add any records to syslog or xorg logs.

Any idea? I really want to use ubuntu, but it's unusable.

0 Likes
mountkidd
Adept II

Jump to solution

@darius00   You haven't said which card you are installing and knowing that and what video drivers you intend to be using would help a lot.

Your "amdgpu-install -y --opencl=legacy,rocr --no-dkms --headless" install string raises some questions.  no-dkms says skip building custom modules for your system, use only canned libs.  headless says install opencl only, nothing else.  Video drivers would default to whatever comes with the kernel.  Is that really what you want?  Why?

Using ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,rocr should work right out of the box for your 20.04.2/5.8.0-45 and give you the full AMD video driver stack tailored to your system.  Of course after running ./amdgpu-install --uninstall to remove everything from your previous attempts.

darius00
Adept I

Jump to solution

@mountkiddThank you for your response!
My GPU is R9 390.  Honestly saying I don't know much what those parameters in my previous attempt means. I just saw someones comment that it worked with that combo and I tried. Will try your suggestion "/amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy,rocr"

0 Likes