Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Can't get ROTTR to launch in dx12 anymore

Jump to solution

ROTTR won't launch if I try to use dx12. I can play the game just fine as always if I'm in dx11 but after the latest patch I wanted to test dx12 mgpu. I thought maybe it was the game so verified game cache and all was well, then I even deleted it and re downloaded it / installed it again. Still doing it.

Just tried 16.7.2 (which I know was just a hotfix) but nope. No go. Anyone else?

I've attached the error message I get every time,

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Can't get ROTTR to launch in dx12 anymore

Jump to solution

UPDATE: soooooooooooooooooooo didn't realize I still had a reshade file in my directory. ugghhhh, after scanning and scanning through the files I saw something that didn't seem right. Deleted a few things and then verified cache again, let it get the proper files and boom I'm in dx12 mgpu

Oh and freesync is working as well!

So for anyone else that may stumble upon this with a similar issue.. NO RESHADE / SWEETFX!

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Highlighted
Staff
Staff

Jump to solution

Works fine for me, post your full system specs and game settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've had zero issues before hand, it's just odd

asus rampage board

16gb ripjaw 2400mhz ram

3 x 290's (3rd card disabled usually)

evga 1300g2

everything watercooled (d5, 2 x 1080 rads, xspc blocks on gpu's and ek copper on cpu)

every other game on my rig runs just as good as ever, even ROTTR in dx11 runs perfect. Once I click dx12 and launch the screen goes black like it's going to pop up the first log screens and boom back out to desktop

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Do you have any overlay software running? If so disable it, same for the steam overlay.

Verify ROTTR cache files in steam.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Re: OP I had the same problem on the latest drivers as well with 2x RX 480s. I reinstalled Windows 10 and the problem went away. Now I can run DX12 fine, but without FreeSync working.

amdmatt, I cannot get FreeSync in DX12 to work in ROTTR. I'm currently running 16.7.2 Hotfix drivers. The latest update has added multi-gpu support which is appreciated, but it seems to not play nicely with FreeSync. I've tried everything from, switching between Exclusive Fullscreen in ROTTR, different drivers, reinstalling windows 10, verifying cache, disabling steam overlays, turning FreeSync on and off on my monitor as well as in Crimson. I have an ASUS MG279 monitor and have tried running the game at 60hz and 90hz (the FreeSync supported options). FreeSync is working fine in other games, it just isn't working for me in ROTTR in DX12.

One commenter said this: "There are known Freesync issues with DirectX 12; albeit, only under specific circumstance in graphics processing unit utilization. Rise of the Tomb Raider should be exempt from scenario, and Freesync should be just fine. To my knowledge these issues are specific to proprietary software's conflict with the DirectX 12 API and Freesync. E.g. Windows Store (Windows 10)."

Please see this thread I created on steam to try to address this issue: FreeSync not working in DX12 with the latest update (RX 480 CrossFire) :: Rise of the Tomb Raider Ge...

amdmatt, do you have any insight?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

No, but i do have the game myself so i can test this locally and if i find the same problem i will share my findings with engineering.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I tried disabling afterburner / osd and still nothing

Verified steam cache twice never finds anything wrong

I appreciate the ideas. I've kinda given up I'll just run it in dx11 lol.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

No way I'm reinstalling Win 10 when every single other game (quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite a few installed) works beautifully.. including DOOM on vulkan WOOOO that runs so good This is still a pretty fresh install anyway.

Who knows maybe that would help, but not worth the effort. I'm glad that solved your problem though but sucks about freesync. I just purchased a freesync monitor too

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you amdmatt!

Can you share your results with us here? I'm assuming you're testing the RX 480 in CrossFire config.

Someone with 290 cards in the Steam thread I linked reported FreeSync was not working for them either. However, several others with 290s (including CrossFire) have it work fine. No reports on R9 380/390.

0 Kudos