Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Can't boot after graphics driver update 1/9/17

I was just notified of a new driver today, so I went ahead and installed. I then went on to play some video games as I do on most nights, when suddenly my game freezes without warming, and I was forced to perform a hard shutdown. When I went to go reboot my computer, neither my two monitors nor my TV screens came on. All black, and displaying no signal when turned on/off. You can see/hear the lights, fans, etc inside the computer when the power button is pressed, however. I used the cables I do now, and plugged my monitors into another PC, and they worked without error. I don't think I fried my card when it was running at 60 C, and the fans on it are still spinning when the PC is on, so I can only attribute it to the new drivers.

Unlike other posts I've seen here, I get no boot screen whatsoever -- I don't even see my BIOS flash up. The screens stay off the entire time. Any help would be awesome. I'll post some of my relevant specs, but I'm going off of my mind, seeing as to how I'm unable to access my PC. Any help on the matter would be amazing, seeing as to how I have a pretty significant amount of schoolwork stored on there.

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA
CPU: AMD FM3+ 6350
GPU: Sapphire R9 280x

9 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: Can't boot after graphics driver update 1/9/17

I think your PC cannot start.It may be anything.

1.Remove GPU and RAM and take out BIOS battery for 5 sec

2.Start PC. If it has long continuous beeps go to next step. If no beeps -your CPU or PSU or motherboard is dead

3.Install one RAM module. Three long beeps and one short -go to next step.If no beeps-try another module RAM and RAM slot. If still no beeps-your RAM or RAM slots or CPU memory controller is dead.

4.Install GPU.If still Three long beeps and one short-your GPU or GPU power cable is dead.You can try another PCIe slot and another GPU power cable/connector

If no beeps and no image-GPU output is dead. Try another video output.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

You might have the same problem a lot of people have been experiencing with 16.12.2. Wattman's introduction wasn't a smooth one for people who use more than one monitor or have a single monitor with refresh rates higher than 120Hz. Try booting into safe mode, uninstall drivers, reboot, reinstall drivers, and leave overclocking alone until further notice. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thank you for your replies. Later last night, I attempted to boot my computer and it started up as normal. After that, while browsing online looking for last month's drivers, I encountered the same crash/inability to boot after about 15 minutes of use, except this time I was able to get it to turn back on after about 20 minutes instead of the 3-4 hours I was trying to get it to turn back on initially. I was luckily able to find the driver install download from December in my downloads folder, so I reinstalled that and haven't encountered any problems since, gaming or otherwise.

I do have a dual monitor setup, but the crashing was seemingly indifferent to how many monitors I had plugged in, seeing as to how I unplugged all but 1 when I was trying to get it to start up and was still experiencing crashing. Odd, but I'd guess it'd be some type of discrepancy between my hardware and the new driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Hello

I have just tried to install this new update and guess what, i cant do it... Green screen while installing. Cleared drivers evidence with DDU+AMD uninstall tool and tried again...same result green screen while installing.

Clean all with DDU reinstalled drivers 16.12.2 from Dec2016 and all is fine..

OS Win10

R9 380

i7 6700

16gb 2400mhz

Display G276HL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I have the same problem bro.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Don't unplug one! I had the same experience as you and was forced to boot into safe mode to uninstall amd's driver.

Either start the computer with only one monitor or two. If I start with two, get the bug, and try to resolve it by unplugging a monitor, the driver will break beyond repair. If you would like to use two monitors, don't touch Wattman. If messing with overclocking is irresistible or some other program screws it up then fire up Sapphire Trixx and use its reset feature and restart your computer. Touching Wattman with two monitors installed will ensure you have a really bad time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elite
Elite

Does that mean Raja acknowledged the problem's existence?! I'm happier now knowing they are aware of the problem and plan to resolve it soon hopefully. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah...hopefully they won't take 6 months to correct it...

0 Kudos