cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

odifyltsaeb
Adept I

Can i install radeon drivers instead of Dell drivers on my Inspiron 15 7548?

Hello

I have dell Inspiron 15 7548 and it's AMD drivers are 4 years old - https://www.dell.com/support/home/ee/en/eebsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=c2jng&oscode=wt64a&p...

And there are some posts out there which claim, that the switchable graphics do not work when they do not use drivers provided by DELL. Is this true, does someone have any experience with it? Will someone recommend using AMD drivers (https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-...) instead?

Alan

0 Likes
16 Replies

You are trying to install the wrong driver.

What APU do you have?

Laptop graphics update...How to 

Laptops have different requirements/procedures than desktop computers when updating graphics drivers. It all depends on the processors....either Intel or AMD. 

For laptops with AMD processors/APU's:

You do not update the discrete graphics card...you update the APU. This updated driver serves both the integrated and discrete graphics. It is the only driver you install. It is important to know the integrated graphics on some APU's...

Thank you for the link, 

How do I find out what APU do I have?

About the link. The link you gave me, directs me to https://www.amd.com/en/support for manual download. I start making choices:

- Graphics

- AMD radeon r7 series

- AMD Radeon r7 200 series

- AMD Radeon r7 m270 which brings me to: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-..., which is exactly the link in my initial post. Am i supposed to download and install them or not (using the guide from your link of course - cleaning up the old install and so on)?

0 Likes

You will need to make sure your Intel graphics driver is fully up to date first before loading the new AMD driver. Assuming you are on Windows 10 64 bit. This is the link to the correct driver AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 Drivers & Support | AMD  

AMD suggest the 19.5.2 driver as the newer optional 19.6.2 driver is actually a fork of an older driver than 19.5.2 and is getting a bunch or reports of issues.

I personally had issues with the 19.5.2 driver and felt the 19.5.1 driver was much better than the last 2 later drivers. That previous driver is 19.5.1 and it is compatible with Windows 1903 if you are already on the latest or yet to migrate to the latest Windows version.  The link to that previous driver: AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 Previous Drivers | AMD 

Again if these driver don't work on you model as you Dell drivers did, you may just have to clean install you old Dell driver again.

0 Likes

He doesn't have any Intel graphics

0 Likes

Sorry but he has not said that and according to the Dell site that model only comes with intel graphics and the amd mobile GPU. I didn't answer without looking it up for myself.

0 Likes

Download Speccy and it will tell you Download Speccy | Find your computer specs, free!  or look for a sticker on the laptop..maybe on the bottom.

Do not install (or try) to install any of the drivers you looked at.

0 Likes

Wait a minute...you said you had:

AMD Radeon r7 m270 and AMD radeon r7 series

That indicates a AMD APU processor...is this what you meant?

EXAMPLE:

0 Likes

If you do have a Intel processor:

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 Drivers & Support | AMD 

0 Likes

Stupid me...I just noticed you posted the laptop model...and you do have a Intel processor:  https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-15-7548-Notebook-Review.139966.0.html 

So> 

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

Your laptop has the older Enduro switchable graphics, which is not supported anymore in the new drivers. The last driver where it is supported is the 19.4.3. None of the drivers since then support it.

Get those drivers here > AMD Radeon™ R7 M270 Previous Drivers | AMD 

Edited

0 Likes

Out of curiosity would you only know that 19.5.1 is supported by downloading then reading the release notes? Just asking because looking up his mobile graphics it suggest the later driver. I had already recommended the 19.5.1 driver myself as I feel it is the most stable of the last few drivers.

0 Likes

Good point. There wasn't any fanfare about the cessation of support anywhere except the 'read me' in the 19.5.1 drivers...which is strange. No one would know unless they read the notes on that particular driver.

I am in the process of updating a laptop for a client ...and had/have issues installing this driver. Seems I misread the notice:

• Support for AMD Enduro™ technology switchable graphics mode has been discontinued starting with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.1. Users who wish to continue to use AMD Enduro™ technology switchable graphics mode may do so with prior supported Radeon Software releases.

It does not work...what does work is 19.4.3. I had assumed they meant the last driver that supported it was the 19.5.1...I guess they meant 19.5.1 is the first that doesn't have support.

However, newer laptops for the most part, do not use Enduro so newer drivers are appropriate.

0 Likes

The answer, IMO, is to put that notice in all Mobility driver 'Read Me'...if anyone reads it.

0 Likes

You would think that they honestly should split that graphics option from the main page then to with or without enduro. Or on the single download page have that option. The way they do things is super confusing for the end user.

0 Likes

In addition to what @kingfish already said. Know that it can be hit and miss if the APU driver will work as your Dell driver did. The issue is that the AMD drivers are "Vanilla" meaning they don't have any customization that Dell made to the drivers to work with their implementation of the hardware that may differ from the orginal reference specs given by AMD. OEM's such as Dell, HP, Acer, all of them, do this quite a bit. Unfortunately they don't keep releasing new drivers for long. Some budget laptops see the biggest disparity in this and often only ever get one custom driver. It's a bad practice but honestly, the OEM's only guarantee that you computer will work as it was supplied for the duration of the warranty and they will gladly sell you another. This is why I still strongly suggest good custom built desktop computers for use when you don't need portable as they follow standards much better.

So basically you can go ahead and load the APU driver for your device. If that does not work you can run DDU and clean install the last driver from Dell again. If needed, Dell does have a pretty good support department compared to some of the other OEM's so you can talk to them about any issues too. You can also open a support ticket if necessary with AMD here: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

SO to be clear for you the final driver that supports your enduro graphics is 19.4.3. There will be no newer driver according to AMD.

0 Likes
odifyltsaeb
Adept I

Thank you pokester and kingfish‌. You guys are awesome. 

I did download the latest driver for now and installed it and it seems to be working fine for now. At least I could configure the switchable graphics and they work. At least with an older game like WoW. If the computer does start failing then I'll use the driver removal tool and install the older version of the AMD driver.