Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

raynorbg
Journeyman III

BSOD Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver caused by atikmdag.sys on R9 290 Tri-X

Hello everyone,

First thing my english skills is bad, I'm a french man but I will tried to do my best to explain my problem ^^

Since many months I have randoms bleu screen of the death 1 or 2 times in a week. This is mainly caused by atikmdag.sys. I have tried clean install of my driver with DDU in safe mode or with AMD Clean UP Utility and tried install different version of the driver but my problem is always present...

I have very good temperatures on my CPU (rarely over 60°) and GPU (around 60-65° depend of the season) when I'm playing games like CSGO, Heroes Of The Storm, iRacing, etc...

This is really strange because this problem has begin in september without any reason when I was under driver Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1.

Please help me !! I'm really afraid about my problem because I can't find a solution

Here my bleu screen report from WhoCrashed and more specifications for my thread :

On Wed 20-02-19 15:54:20 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022019-5046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B3440)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFF9905AA91D080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 20-02-19 15:54:20 GMT your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x6B3B4)
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0xFFFF9905AA91D080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0338124.inf_amd64_b9b08b9409c1138e\B337967\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin Edition 19.1.1
  • Display Devices
    • Samsung 24" (I don't know model) on 1920x1080 but my native resolution is 2560x1440.
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Asus Z97-A + Version 1008 (29-05-2014)
  • CPU/APU
    • i7-4790k @4.4 GHz (Turbo Boost enable)
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Seasonic X-750 (Certified 80+ Gold)
  • RAM
    • 8 Go DDR3
0 Likes
28 Replies

0 Likes

Hello kingfish,

Thanks for your answer, I have the latest Adrenalin Edition 19.1.1 WHQL after a clean install with DDU few weeks ago. On release notes of 19.2.2 there are nothing fixed about my issue... My problem is always present on different driver beta and WHQL...

0 Likes

Maybe read through this > https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1641 

0 Likes

I'll check but please on the driver I must download 19.1.1 if I have this version ?!

What's wrong with my driver 19.1.1 ?

0 Likes

You should try the latest driver version 19.2.2. Not every fix is mentioned in the notes. My R9 290X has no issues with either...but I have Windows 7.

0 Likes

How to know if I must download driver for R9 290 or R9 290X ?

0 Likes

If not stated otherwise on the website, the drivers are the same.

0 Likes

You download the R9 290....that's what you said you have.

AMD Radeon™ R9 290 Drivers & Support | AMD 

0 Likes
detrophy
Adept II

I fixed this problem with DDU uninstalling the display driver in "abgesicherten Modus" (safe mode?) and disabling windows automatic driver updates. Then I rebooted normal and closed every program that could get in conflict with the driver install in any possible way (like iCue, HWInfo, MSI Afterburner, Adobe Cloud and so on...). After this, the driver installed the way it should and everything went "fine" from then on.

0 Likes

Hello destrophy,

Thanks for your answer. I'm using sometimes MSI Afterburner (just for watching my temperatures in-game with an overlay) and HWInfo. I think there are maybe a conflict with a software and my driver ?

Are you disabled Windows Update only for update or not ?

0 Likes

You can disable automatic driver updates completely using this method:

1. Go to Control Center (old one) by typing "control center" into windows search.
  2. Click on "System" and look on the left side of the window.
  3. Click on "Advanced system settings"
  4. Go to the "Hardware"-tab
  5. Click on "Device installation settings" and choose "no"

HWInfo and MSI Afterburner are using some system ressources to access your hardware to read and sometimes write some data from / to it. So yes, this could be a culprit.

0 Likes

I did another clean installation of my driver but before it I have unplug my Ethernet cable untill driver install is done... We'll see but I'm desesperate

0 Likes
raynorbg
Journeyman III

Another BSOD this afternoon :

crash.JPG

More atikmdag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys (what is it ?). Maybe dxgkrnl causing my random BSOD even after a clean install of my driver ?

atikmdag.sys    atikmdag.sys+fbc2b    fffff800`46d90000    fffff800`4a040000    0x032b0000    0x5c368cf5    10-01-19 01:08:21                        

dxgkrnl.sys    dxgkrnl.sys+3a790    fffff800`421f0000    fffff800`4252f000    0x0033f000    0xb964ef01    25-07-68 00:55:45            

0 Likes

I get many BSODs too and I think the graphic driver is the reason behind all the BSODs.

Just to try: Use the old one which has worked fine and if the BSODs are gone you „just have to wait for a new driver“.

0 Likes

Try the new drivers > https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-2172 

0 Likes

Not working BSOD now.

atikmdag.sys    atikmdag.sys+fbc2b    fffff803`3f5d0000    fffff803`42880000    0x032b0000    0x5c368cf5    10-01-19 01:08:21                 

dxgkrnl.sys    dxgkrnl.sys+3a790    fffff803`381b0000    fffff803`384ef000    0x0033f000    0xb964ef01    25-07-68 00:55:45  

And

HID-compliant headset error : Le périphérique HID-compliant headset (emplacement (unknown)) est hors connexion en raison d’un blocage du pilote mode-utilisateur. Windows essaiera de redémarrer le périphérique à 5 reprises. Pour plus d’informations sur ce problème, contactez le fabricant du périphérique.

I'm using HyperX Cloud 2...

0 Likes

Okay, could you try to stop using the USB-audio device (HyperX Cloud 2)? Maybe the driver for this device is messing something up?

0 Likes

I don't know, I can plug my headset only with USB... I have tried on different USB from my motherboard, problem is same.

On BluescreenView I have atikmdag.sys and dxgrnl.sys causing BSOD, what is it ? Maybe dxgrnl.sys causing my BSOD... 

0 Likes

I did SFC /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth all is OK...

0 Likes

Just to be sure that this device is not causing this, you should stop using it for about 1-2 days (this should be enough to check if you get a new BSOD).

0 Likes
raynorbg
Journeyman III

bsod2.JPG
0 Likes

Okay, this is caused by the AMD driver. Did you OC your card, or maybe undervolted it? Do you use a custom bios with altered frequencies or voltages?

0 Likes

Nope, never overclocked my graphic card

0 Likes

Do you have any third party graphics/cpu controllers installed on your computer? Trixx, Asus, Afterburner?

0 Likes

I had MSI Afteburner but this sotfware is uninstall from my computer now. I'm only using CPUID HWMonitor for checking temperatures. Another BSOD now after starting my computer and open Steam, it freeze and crash. D*mn I was happy 6 days without crash xD.

This is fully random, impossible to find any solutions. Bleuscreenvieweurs said my BSOD are caused by atikmdag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys like always lol. Maybe tried a older driver i don't know yet...

My Bios is set to default setup. Nothing is overclocked

0 Likes

After uninstalling MSI Afterburner you haven’t had a single BSOD in 6 days?

Maybe we’re getting closer.

Could you take a screenshot of all installed apps?

1. press windows key
  2. type in control center
  3. go to the old control center
  4. open programs and features (Programme und Funktionen)
  5. take a screenshot of all programs in that list.
0 Likes

Third party controllers can conflict with AMD/Wattman settings and controls. Disabling it does no good..delete it as it has made registry changes. Perform a clean install while disconnected from the internet..do not reconnect until all has finished and you have rebooted your computer for the last time. In the ______ game profile (fill in the blank) set the temperature to manual 70c-75c. Set the Power Limit to +50. Click apply at top of page. Do not change any other setting..leave at default.

0 Likes
johnsf
Journeyman III

I had the same problem, even with the installed latest driver.

I figured out that if I dissable all the other monitors/displays (HDMI)  and only use the primary (DP) the problem goes away.

I use HDMI on two monitors and DP in primary.

I dont know if theese interface mix causes the problem or not since I dont own monitors/displays with only DP

Regards.

0 Likes