cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BSOD Stop Error (Atikmdag.sys)

Hello,

First post here on the forum, I really don't know what else to do.

Since around mid december 2017 I've been having BSOD when I play X-Plane (flight simulator). It worked just fine before. There had been an update causing issues with AMD cards but this was mainly a crash in the main menu, this has since been patched.

The BSOD happens at random points, sometimes after five minutes, sometimes after 1-2 hours of playing and on some special occasions not at all.

It says that  atikmdag.sys fails and stop code is: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

I had to do a fresh install of windows 10 also, as windows being windows it during an automatic update threw me out of my user profile which was annoying, after installing windows and then all the drivers (and I believe around december a new AMD driver would have come out for my card?) and games were fresh install so was looking forward to playing and then bam... BSOD's.

I got so annoyed at it happening again yesterday so I took the following steps (in this order):

Windows Memory Test - No issues found.

Graphics Card Check - Windows says it's working properly.

Fresh DirectX.

Uninstalled AMD driver using Guru3d in safe mode.

Installed the latest driver again.

Full Maleware Scan - No issues.

Full virus scan - no issues.

I also turned windows auto driver update off (i've heard that it can install the wrong things and clash with installed drivers??)

I was confident this would have to sort it, but played again last night and about an hour in BSOD again.

Is there something I am overlooking? I really want to just be able to play my game.

I've attached two notepad files, one is the copy of infor from all three pages in the AMD driver software and the other is system specs from Speccy.

Thanks for at least giving a read even if you have no ideas, much appreciated.

Kieran.

Edit: I have a further question, is it possible for this particular BSOD to occur due to overheating of any parts? Or would that be completely unrelated. Once again reinstalled my driver under same conditions as last and have now installed two 105mm fans on top powered by PSU as well as same size on on front at bottom and the difference in temperature in game is noticeable two tries so far no BSOD I haven’t done a long one yet just a short couple so will update if and when, in meantime if anyone has ideas please give me a shout

Message was edited by: Kieran Harvey

Further Question to Ask

0 Likes
4 Replies
correctorhun
Journeyman III

I have a similar problem.
At any random time, my system crashes and i get a bsod - System thread exception not handled, referring to atikmdag.sys. (I noted that every time It crashes there is a glitchy background noise, a high pitch sound playing continously)

It happens to me randomly, even if it is not under any real load. While browsing, gaming, or anything.

When it happened for the first time, half of my system files disappeared, so I had to reinstall the whole system, but it keeps happening again, but now at least I'm not stuck in a self-repair boot-loop like last time (that's progress, I guess). I tried cleaning the registries, everything the internet could have come up with(sfc, ccleaner, etc...), no use. I tried wipeing the drivers (with both DDU and the AMD software - both in safe mode) and then reinstalling, and here comes the interesting part: I'm getting error 1603 no matter what I do. I've searched for fixes on both problems, but it looks like I can't solve it at the same time, because one prevents the other.
One interesting thing I noted was that when I tried to run the driver installer manually from the downloaded 'packages' folder, It couldn't because "My version of Windows is not a compatible platform" or something like that. Tried updating it.
When I try to install it again, it says I already have a driver partially installed. I can't do anything with it. The installer runs through the process, and in the end it gives the error.
I tried most things to solve the 1603 alone, with no success - everything the AMD site and the forums recommended, didn't help.

So, the two things might be related, at least in my case.

0 Likes

I forgot that, I also get the buzzing noise when it’s crashing.

I too had the endless boot loop issue, I dont now though after reinstallig driver not sure how that works.

I wonder whether the amount of crashes I’ve had resulting in the endles loops where I have to force shutdown has damaged files in the system?

The only file the BSOD says it has problem with is atikmdag.sys

0 Likes
emiliohoffmann
Journeyman III

Hey,

I had the same problem and manage to fix it.

What I did was:

1 - Download DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller)

2 - Enter windows safe mode and run DDU

3 - Restart and install an old version of the graphics card driver from this link. https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

I got the "Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2".

Hope that can help you.

0 Likes

Muchas gracias, solucione el problema reinstalado Windows pero igual

muchisimas gracias por tu ayuda

2018-03-12 15:54 GMT-03:00 emiliohoffmann <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: BSOD Stop Error (Atikmdag.sys) in Drivers & Software

0 Likes