cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

joecrow
Elite

BSOD during 20.11.2 and 20.12.1 install RX5500XT

Win 10 x64 20H2, Gigabyte X570 UD mobo, Assus RX5500XT graphics card. CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz.

I have been runing this PC for 2 months using the 20.9.1 drivers without problem but when I attempted to update (after uninstalling in safe mode with DDU) to 20.12.1 during the installation (at 95%+ Audio Driver section) the system crashed with a WHEA "Uncorrectable Error" BSOD, restart failed and it went into repair mode and eventually rebooted but Radeon Settings would not open, I re-installed 20.9.1 without problem but on shutting the PC down it displayed the BSOD screen again with a permanent 0% and then restarted, the only way to shutdown was using the power switch. I restored the system from backup which fixed the shutdown problem and then uninstalled 20.9.1 with DDU and then re-installed 20.9.1  with absolutely no problem, tried the same with 20.11.2 and again got the WHEA BSOD and repair on restart problem etc, same as with 20.12.1. Also tried just updating without using DDU to uninstall 20.9.1 but same results. Also needed to restore from backup or restore point to get back a working system.

Hoping someone here knows what is going on and how to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I finally got the replacement mobo the Assus TUF x570 Gaming Plus, it came with bios 1407 installed which supports the CPU so have not updated it. The XMP profile 1 option correctly identified the DRAM speed and timings (3200) 16 18 18 35 1.35V in my case so left it at that and all is working well. I use a CPU fan with RGB which looks good with the Assus much more colourful than the Gigabyte mobo so no plans to turn it off although Aura utility which allows me to change the colour and speed etc adds little or nothing to the default mode.

The only negative is the basic audio, with the Gigabyte mobo if headphones were plugged into the front panel jack it would set up a 2nd output so you could switch between headphones and the speakers connected to the rear jack, with the Assus it just switches off the rear speakers until the headphones are unplugged, very minor issue though.

View solution in original post

45 Replies

I finally got the replacement mobo the Assus TUF x570 Gaming Plus, it came with bios 1407 installed which supports the CPU so have not updated it. The XMP profile 1 option correctly identified the DRAM speed and timings (3200) 16 18 18 35 1.35V in my case so left it at that and all is working well. I use a CPU fan with RGB which looks good with the Assus much more colourful than the Gigabyte mobo so no plans to turn it off although Aura utility which allows me to change the colour and speed etc adds little or nothing to the default mode.

The only negative is the basic audio, with the Gigabyte mobo if headphones were plugged into the front panel jack it would set up a 2nd output so you could switch between headphones and the speakers connected to the rear jack, with the Assus it just switches off the rear speakers until the headphones are unplugged, very minor issue though.

Glad to hear you got it running! The audio can be configured in Windows to output from whichever source you want by going into the audio settings. Just right click the speaker icon and select which output you want to use. I can have my headset plugged in and use just the mic part and output the rest of the audio via my speakers or I can enable both speakers and headset if I wanted to by enabling both. You may need to select "listen to this device" as described below, I forget because I only use one output at a time.

To hear your voice through the speakers, you need to open your audio settings and select the input (mic), right click select "properties" and check the "listen to this device" option. Why one would do that, not sure but it can be done. 

If you're still having issues with the RX 5500 XT, I believe it was, another poster on here went to Igor's Lab online and asked someone to make a modded vBIOS. They did and it fixed his issue with crashing and drivers in general. Apparently the person added Mac VRAM straps to the BIOS and it fixed the card. OP had an MSI Gaming RX 5700 XT.  

"It worked before you broke it!"

Thanks again but the audio problem is that when I plug the headphones (not using a mic at all)  into the front panel jack I get the popup asking if that is what I plugged in and I click on OK and the audio switches from the speakers connected to the rear jack to the headphones, all good. However when I click on the speaker icon in the tray it still says speakers, so nothing to switch to! With the Gigabyte mobo it showed a "2nd Realtek output" in addition to speakers and if I selected speakers it would switch back to the rear jack with the headphones still connected to the front.

Attached are screenshots of of the audio devices available, the first is without headphones plugged in the 2nd with them plugged in, as you can see they are identical.

I am at a bit of a loss on this, so anything you can add will be most welcome, not a big problem and in fact it might be an advantage it the PC was being used as an HTPC but its not and sometimes I like to leave the headphones connected and have audio over the speakers.

BTW no problems with the RX 5500XT now it was always only the problem running the update.

nohp.jpghpin.jpg

0 Likes

You need to right click that speaker icon and open "sound settings". There should be some drop down stuff to configure from there. By using the "manage sound devices" for input/output you should be able to select/define to whatever input/output config you desire. 

Glad to hear that the card is working good. That custom vBIOS fixes driver update issues, like you had described. If you run into that again, I would suggest going to "Igors Lab" and ask in there for a custom vBIOS. The OP that did that had problems with driver updates as well.settings areasettings area 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Only "Speakers" there no headphones, nothing to configure or select. Even stranger if I unplug and re-plug in the speakers to the rear light green jack I get a popup asking if I inserted something in the front jack!!!! Something not right. I'll keep you posted.

0 Likes

Seems to be the Realtek Audio driver recommended for the mobo. I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall it and after restarting with no internet connected, when I plug in the headphones it switches the audio to them and I get them listed in the dropdown along with the speakers, if I select "Speakers" it switches audio back to the rear jack, see screenshot below . I tried a reinstall of the Realtek audio driver and the problem returned, only "Speakers" listed. The driver version I'm using is 6.0.8971.1 which one do you have?

Nodriver_2.jpg

0 Likes