Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

janemadelyne
Journeyman III

BSOD crashes using android emulators with VT, Ryzen 2600x

Hello,

I've asked this question on a different forum before, I'll try to keep it succinct.

I've upgraded my pc with a new Ryzen 2600x, a new motherboard and a new M.2 SSD with a clean Windows 10 install. Full specs were as such:

AMD Ryzen 5 Hexa core 2600x
Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3
MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G (old)
16 GB RAM 2.4GHz (old)
500GB M.2 SSD
Windows 10 (clean install)

600W PSU (old)

Problems: After enabling SVM and IOMMU, using either Bluestacks, Nox or Memu (android emulators) causes BSOD crashes. Enabling Hyper-V or Hypervisor only speeds up the BSOD happening. On screen it says 'System Service Exception', delving further I find stopcode 0x000003b, caused by driver nostkrnl.exe.

After trying a few things regarding SVM, HyperV/Hypervisor, driver-reinstall, a memtest and disabling antivirus, I made two changes in my build. I upgraded my RAM and Motherboard to:

Corsair Vengeange LPX 3200MHz 16GB

ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4

The problem persists. The same BSOD code, clean installed the drivers, ran a DISM and SFC (if I recall correctly) and nothing comes up. I can play videogames, run a benchmark but only the android emulator causes the BSOD. If I can't find a fix, I may need to return everything I've bought and try a completely different build, but I really prefer to get this working.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Here is a good explanation of that particular BSOD Error which  was linked in this Microsoft Forum: Blue Screen Error 0x3b SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - Microsoft Community 

From the link mentioned in MS Forum: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION . From link:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

STOP: 0x0000003B

Description

The video driver has a bug.

This is a fatal Windows error, typically called a Stop message, Bug Check, or more commonly the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). The system is in a forced reboot state. Any unsaved work is likely lost.

From Microsoft Support concerning your BSOD Error: Bug Check 0x3B SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs 

If you are Overclocking anything, put everything back to "Default". Overclocking can cause many BSODs to occur.

From ASRock Support concerning your Motherboard: ASRock > Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed (12/19/2018) and AMD CHIPSET which includes the VGA Driver All In One (10/16/2018). *I believe the All In One AMD Driver includes the CHIPSET also*

Here is the latest AMD RX 480 Driver from AMD Download page: Radeon™ RX 480 Drivers & Support | AMD 

If you continue to have BSODs then try installing an older previous AMD Driver and see if it more stable. At the bottom of the OS in blue has "Previous Drivers" link.

Possibly it could also be a Windows or BIOS Configuration settings issue not strictly an AMD Driver issue.

Also you probably need to configure the RX 480 to be more stable by using the following settings in WATTMAN from another experienced User:

Re: Wattman fan settings don't work

kingfish

kingfish     Jun 4, 2018 10:08 AM  (in response to snapperorgan)   

Your still changing the fan speed from automatic to manual and you haven't moved your Power Limit from default which throttles your card. It's explained here if you read it > AMD graphics performance

Before giving up on the card..why don't you try the settings exactly like I suggested? Set Wattman back to factory defaults first. Then change only the manual temperature settings and the Power Limit..click apply. Leave everything else at default...which is Automatic.

Here is a basic procedure to install AMD Drivers so that there wouldn't any conflict with the previous installed AMD Driver:

install AMD driver:

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows Must be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software and disconnect the internet from your computer. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Wagnardsoft  Forum in Safe Mode. This will eliminate all traces of the AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C: \ AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot

3) Go to Device Manager and click "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you have downloaded manually. Make sure you disable the Internet to prevent Windows from installing a newer version. So configure windows to prevent it from updating drivers via windows update. So it has been mentioned to disable any anti-virus programs before installing AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C: \ AMD folder from the root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6) Enable both the Internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

Can you run your Virtual software if you have IOMMU "Disabled". I have read that make cause problems in the past with ASRock X399 boards.

Seems like you need IOMMU enabled if you are using Virtual Linux machines.

janemadelyne
Journeyman III

I've disabled IOMMU, but in this state Nox won't even start, gets stuck at 99%. I'll try Bluestacks and MeMu, see how that goes.

It's the same graphics card as I had on my old build, where it never caused problems, so I hadn't expected the graphics card itself to be the issue. I've reinstalled all drivers, including a system restore (my system wouldn't start after amd cleanup utility, so I had to), with no luck. I'm gonna try and install an older version of the driver now. I'll also try the other things you mentioned. Thank you for your comment.

0 Likes
kds_gabo
Journeyman III

I have the same issue, it happened to me in ryzen 5 1400 and ryzen 7 2700x with diferent configs in ram and motherboard.

0 Likes
krakien
Adept II

Since the Asus Ryzen ABBA bios update on my B350 (Ryzen 3600), no overclock, I been having BSOD Service Exception Error, IRQL, and all kinds of driver error. This stems from Virtualisation need for my Android Emulators like Nox and LDPlayer. Have read through entire forums, Reddits, etc. The BSOD is random but is triggered when an emulator is trying to write to memory and gets stuck or a random error. When the ABBA Ryzen bios was in beta, i tested it and went back to ABB due to the above, Now Asus released official ABBA and I installed it and the BSOD came back. at this stage I dont know what to do before I go back to the slow ABB bios. NB, I have tried all options including sfc scans, checkdisk, etc. No am using my emulators without VT, which is not ideal.

0 Likes