cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

indy31
Journeyman III

BSOD - atikmdag.sys - cannot resolve

I have been experiencing a series of BSOD's while playing both Wolfenstein 2 and Hitman (2016). The error happens anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour of gaming and is pretty consistent in appearing. I am using a RADEON RX480

It seems the error is related to my AMD Drivers, but I am running out of ideas of how to solve. Fully clean install (i.e. uninstall via Windows, then using AMD Cleanup Utility, and then reinstalling latest AMD drivers) has not solved the problem.

I've also completed a MemTest86 to ensure it isn't a memory related issue.

The dump files from this mornings crashes can be found here, as well as a WhoCrashed log (also posted below) - https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmWorpmeOki8kU0ix7AU37r9lurU

If there is more information that would be helpful, let me know.

System Information (local)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: JEFFSPC

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134

Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS

Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME B250-PLUS

CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6

4 logical processors, active mask: 15

RAM: 8532963328 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:

C:\WINDOWS

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Wed 05/12/2018 9:39:37 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF80007788E46)

Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF10FB7CE41BC, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80007788E46, 0xC)

Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0334122.inf_amd64_2e9fcce50cc19bdc\B333740\atikmdag.sys

product: ATI Radeon Family

company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver

Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Wed 05/12/2018 9:11:23 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120518-8421-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF800A79BEFF8)

Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0xFFFFF8003C53DE50, 0x508DE548, 0xFFFFF800A79BEFF8)

Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0334122.inf_amd64_2e9fcce50cc19bdc\B333740\atikmdag.sys

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Most often this is caused by a software problem (kernel stack overflow) but this can also be caused by a hardware problem.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

On Wed 05/12/2018 8:23:57 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120518-8562-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (0xFFFFF80FBA087F5A)

Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x20B1, 0x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80FBA087F5A)

Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

Google query: atikmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0 Likes
5 Replies

A very common issue for what it sounds like you are describing can be solved by Going to Radeon Settings/Gaming/Global Settings/Global Wattman: Find the "Power Limit" Slider and move it to it maximum.

0 Likes

for me it says a 3rd party driver has been detected causing the system crshes, how do I fix this

0 Likes

On Mon 11/16/2020 10:10:34 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111620-9187-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdkmdag.sys (0xFFFFF80757DB2230)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFB1029FA2D010, 0xFFFFF80757DB2230, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0360732.inf_amd64_c7238d1e8b4aaa3b\B360768\amdkmdag.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: amdkmdag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

amdkmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

0 Likes

can you help me solve mine??

0 Likes

Your processor is not working stably. The atikmdag.sys error does not always indicate GPU driver error. The error you get is probably due to your processor not working properly.

0 Likes