cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

msx
Adept I

Re: Brand New Laptop with Ryzen 4700U Vega 10 Screen Flickers

It didn’t impact WSL2 performance in any noticeable way for me. That’s the only virtualization I do on my system though.

0 Likes
msx
Adept I

The flicker occurs on an idle desktop in Windows.

To stop flickering IOMMU wasn’t disabled system wide, only the Hyper-V setting. I hope AMD or Microsoft comes out with a fix soon, but for now (for me) it’s better then flickering.

In any event this is a defect and a potential workaround, not a performance tip.

0 Likes
mashaal95
Adept I

I agree with you, it flickers while doing the most mundane tasks like web browsing or just viewing documents.

I hope that it's at least acknowledged by AMD and Microsoft. I have seen threads where this issue does not seem to occur on open source software in Linux distros.

0 Likes
msx
Adept I

I had no flicker in Linux but I wasn’t running any virtualization. I noticed other issues though which is why I installed Windows for now. I’ll try again once Fedora or Ubuntu have stable releases with a Ryzen friendly kernel.

ranapatr91
Journeyman III

I had the same issue . I tried all driver version but only 20.4.2 works . Try 20.4.2 it should resolve the issue .

0 Likes
mashaal95
Adept I

20.4.2 is incompatible with Ryzen mobile 4000 series processors. If you are speaking of another version which actually is compatible, do let us know in the comments.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

mashaal95 wrote:

20.4.2 is incompatible with Ryzen mobile 4000 series processors. If you are speaking of another version which actually is compatible, do let us know in the comments.

Try 20.9.2 which is the latest driver for Radeon graphics

0 Likes
mashaal95
Adept I

I am currently on the same driver that you've mentioned. It still flickers, unfortunately.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

mashaal95 wrote:

I am currently on the same driver that you've mentioned. It still flickers, unfortunately.

Unfortunately given the mobile 4000 series are fresh it may take a while for the machine to stabilize.

Check to be sure your BIOS is updated regularly too

0 Likes
mashaal95
Adept I

Are you saying that the flickers will resolve itself on their own? If that were the case, it should have gone after the first few days, they show no sign of letting up just yet. 

I am on the latest BIOS available to this laptop.

0 Likes