cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: Brand New Laptop with Ryzen 4700U Vega 10 Screen Flickers

The IOMMU us used by windows to handle disk IO and other system functions, so disabling it actually hurts performance significantly

A laptop generally is not designed for datacenter class workloads

0 Likes
rvescovi
Adept I

It looks like issues related to parallel memory access from different unmanaged IO driver. AMD released new drivers on 29_09 I will try if this fix something.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The IOMMU is basically a 64-bit DMA controller

0 Likes
msx
Adept I

My system (Asus PN50) doesn't have a BIOS setting to disable the IOMMU completely. The Windows setting to disable it specifically for Hyper-V seems to be sufficient.

I don't know of the full impact of changing hypervisoriommupolicy though. I expect the impact to virtualization is greater with more complex workloads. For WSL2, it doesn't seem to matter (there is no IO virtualization in WSL2).

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Support for Hyper-V does not affect the system at all. Unless you install the Hyper-V components in Windows.

The flicker problem is entirely the display system and the monitor

Check your refresh rate with the windows settings to see if it is running at the proper rate, sometimes a television does not work properly with a PC which can affect the operation

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Flicker seems to be more of an issue with both AMD and NVIDIA cards so I suspect some fixes for windows will surface soon

mashaal95
Adept I

I have been having the same issue on my Lenovo Legion 5 with an AMD Ryzen 5 4600h chip. As per the suggestions in this thread, disabling virtualization seems to have stopped the flickering, however, I use virtualization to access WSL2 so this is unacceptable for me to keep in the long term. No flickering occurs in the BIOS as well.

Lenovo has already replaced my first unit due to the same issue and am now on my 2nd unit, but I now suspect that this is a recurring theme with all mobile Ryzen chips. There are many threads on Reddit as well that discuss the same issue with the Zephyrus G14 laptops. Curiously, I have not seen many threads with the Dell G15 series of laptops online with the Ryzen mobile 4000 series chips.

I really hope that this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue, I really do love the performance and efficiency of these chips. It really would be a damn shame that such great chips be let down by faulty software.

0 Likes
msx
Adept I

I was able to retain WSL2 functionality and stop flickering by disabling Hyper-V IOMMU only. See my other reply in this thread for the exact command.

0 Likes
mashaal95
Adept I

Will doing this reduce VM performance?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

The flicker suggests you are overloading the CPU. A laptop is not the ideal platform workstation class tasks.

IOMMU is the DMA, disabling it hurts performance

0 Likes