cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

titanxie
Adept I

Brand new built, VGA connected monitor flickering

First I though it was the mb having defect. Changed to another new board, same problem!

all parts are brand new. Dual monitors are directly connected to the onboard DVI and VGA. This desktop PC is for simple office use. The VGA connected monitor would flicker occasionally, and in rare occasion the flicker would take the system to a blue screen and a memory dump crash immediately after. I am certain this is not related to RAM because I have tried different brand RAM. And on the software system there is just MS word and Excel, and chrome browser. The flickers and crashes don’t happen regularly, sometimes not once in 4 hours.

anyone has experienced this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
titanxie
Adept I

A dedicated video card has "fixed" the issue. The flickering hasn't happened for a week.

As both involved motherboards are different models but use the same display module, and the symptom was identical, I am almost certain at this point that the cause was to do with the driver on the VGA connection, perhaps for the particular display module.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Send full hardware specs and what Operating System along with its version. That will help us better assist with this issue.

Initially it sounds like you may be experiencing a Display Driver conflict.

0 Likes

This sounds like a power supply issue. When the power supply is not enough for the CPU, and peripheral, it will appear as you have described.

0 Likes

The parts have no problem. I am sure about that. I build PCs for small business for over 15 years. I always pick reliable brand and common parts.

Original specs:
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A520M-K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4
SSD: WD M.2 1TB
CPU: Ryzen 5600G

I have replaced the motherboard with Asus PRO PRIME A520-C II/CSM, but same VGA connected display flickering issue came back after 4 hours of steady use. I also tried a new pair of Kingston RAM. Windows 10 has been fully reinstalled from scratch for the motherboard replacement.

This is a really simple build for office use. I suspect that it has something to do with the video card drivers, or a defect on the processor now. Anyways.

Yesterday, I have added a dedicated video card. Hopefully, it will help. I have to wait till Monday for user feedback. If the problem is related to the video driver, AMD needs to seriously spend more effort on their driver making. It would feel like early 2000 again when video card drivers were bad in general causing system crash often.

0 Likes

Well with VGA Cables I have had the an issue with the screws getting partial stripped or bent or broken pins cause similar issues.

Does the VGA monitor have a way to update it's firmware?

Maybe their is a specific BIOS version for that MOBO to support VGA monitors.

This could also be a support issue. Most Manufacturers have switched to HDMI and Microsoft may no longer support that VGA monitor.

Experienced a similar issue with my dvd/cd blu ray drive. OS detects it compatibility tests show no issues drivers show no issues device manager shows no issues. Tried 10 different SATA cables both power and signal. No matter what kind of media disk I place in the drive it does the same thing. Spins up 3 to 5 seconds then stops. I have the software to read the media on the disks but it won't work. All I could find out is Microsoft said they were dropping support for many different disk drives with burning capability as a form of anti piracy compliance.

0 Likes
titanxie
Adept I

A dedicated video card has "fixed" the issue. The flickering hasn't happened for a week.

As both involved motherboards are different models but use the same display module, and the symptom was identical, I am almost certain at this point that the cause was to do with the driver on the VGA connection, perhaps for the particular display module.

0 Likes