cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

braiven
Adept II

Brand new AMD PC - Freezes by driver installations

I got my brand new AMD PC today (Ryzen 7 3700x, RX 5700 XT, MSI X570 Gaming Edge, Gskill F4-3200C16D-32GVK Memory D4 3200 32GB C16 RipV K2 2X 16GB) with fresh installed Windows Professional to the latest version 1903 and everything seems to work just fine, until we tried to install drivers from AMD. When I try to install a driver it freezes at 16% for a while and my PC starts to reboot then. 

To fix that issue wie already tried "everything": We reinstalled Windows 2 times again, we cleaned every standard drivers with a tool away from Windows, we used older versions and more... NOTHING seems to work. So what the hell is going on? Any ideas?

15 Replies
osirismelb
Adept III

Did you download the entire driver package and not the autodetect one that downloads it as you install?

0 Likes

First we tried the driver package multiple times, then autodetect one time. Same issue.

0 Likes
m1adam
Adept II

whatever u do 1st update your msi x570 bios

0 Likes

We did.

0 Likes

Do you have the latest MSI Chip Set installed from 07/01/2019 by any chance.

The 3rd Generation has a special BIOS which you can download from the BIOS Compatibility page: Support For MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI G... .  (But since you are using the 3xxx processor and the computer is booting up you must have this BIOS installed)

Also Windows needs to be fully updated via Windows Update for the latest AMD Drivers to work.

Plus you need to use DDU in Safe Mode with the internet disconnected until after you updated the AMD Driver. Plus delete the previous AMD installation folder at C:\AMD before installing the new AMD Driver set again.

You might want to use Microsoft own Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter before installing the AMD Driver just to make sure it comes back with no issues. I have attached the small program to this post in case you haven't used it yet.

0 Likes

Exactly what we already did and tried over the last two days... But I appreciate the help. Im going to refund the board and try another one and maybe that works. We already tested the hardware in other PCs and everything seems to work fine just not for the X570 Gaming Edge board from MSI.

It seems to be something not compatible with the X570 Motherboard.

Before you start your refund, maybe you can try three other methods and see if it helps install the AMD Driver.

1- Download AMD Chipset for the X570 Motherboard from AMD Download page and see if the installation continues to crash from here: X570 Drivers & Support | AMD 

2- Instead of installing the full AMD Driver set, use Device Manager to install just the AMD Driver and it related software. Use Device Manager to point to the C:\AMD Folder to locate and install just the driver. In case it is a certain Feature from AMD Driver set causing the issues.

3- Boot into a "Clean Windows Desktop" which pretty much eliminates all 3rd party startups and drivers. Then try to install either the AMD Driver set or just the Driver via Device Manager. Here is how to start  Windows in with a Clean Desktop. It is very easy: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows .

If it installs that means a 3rd party software or driver was causing conflict with the AMD Driver.

I tried the X570 Aorus Pro board and look... NO ISSUES! It was the MSI gaming edge boiard causing all the issues. At the end not even the Ethernet addapter was wokring proberly. 

Mark your answer as correct so other will know it was a bad motherboard and not AMD driver or hardware.

jonaidas
Journeyman III

Hi

I have the same problem....but with a Ryzen 3 2200 G. I already installed Windows 10 Professional version 1903 and everything works ok, until I tried to install drivers from AMD. When I installed a driver it freezes and my PC starts to reboot then. and also I updated my motherboard Bios to the last version. 

0 Likes
jonaidas
Journeyman III

Hi

I have the same problem....but with a Ryzen 3 2200 G. I already installed Windows 10 Professional version 1903 and everything works ok, until I tried to install drivers from AMD. When I installed a driver it freezes and my PC starts to reboot then. and also I updated my motherboard Bios to the last version. 

0 Likes
jasonamd
Adept II

Same issue but with ASRock X470 Gaming ITX/ac motherboard. I can install driver if I use a 2700X.

ASRock sent me a beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB support. My 5700XT+3700X system is now stable with AMD drivers installed.

braiven
Adept II

The problem is fixed now: It was the MSI X570 Gaming Edge board causing all the issues. I replaced it with the X570 Aorus Pro motherboard and look... not a single issue! Everything works how it should be!

0 Likes
jokbon
Adept III

1 Update chipset drivers
2 update bios drivers
3 update graphic card drivers

I had similar isusue fixed by updating chipset and bios.
If you do this in wrong way like first updating bios and then chipset its BAD look exactly as i posted

0 Likes
jasonamd
Adept II

Which AGESA is your BIOS on? I had similar issue with 5700XT+3700X build but on X470. I could only install driver after I updated the BIOS AGESA to 1.0.0.3AB (I had to contact support to get a beta BIOS). That BIOS allows you to select PCIe 3.0 for GPU.

0 Likes