Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

glahana
Journeyman III

bootcamp drivers

Hello,

I own a iMac18,3 with a Raedon 580 8Gb card. I run Windows 10 in a bootcamp partition only to play the latest games but sadly the last two games I purchased wont run because the games inform me that my installed driver for this machine is too old. It is extremely frustrating that I can't simply use the standard driver which is updated regularly. The version I am stuck on is 19.30. How soon can we expect the latest driver to be ported for bootcamp?

3 Replies

This person takes the latest AMD Drivers and makes it compatible for Bootcamp OS. But it is unofficial: BootCampDrivers.com: Turbo-charged AMD graphics drivers for Mac BootCamp users. 

In case you haven't tried this site before.

Here is Apple Support official Bootcamp drivers download: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208908

Plus worth mentioning all the drivers for bootcamp come from Apple not AMD. AMD just hosts them as a courtesy but they are identical to Apples drivers. 

First - they are not identical. You can't install a video driver for Windows on a Bootcamped Mac. For AMD drivers, you will get an error if you try using the Windows installers. Must be a Bootcamp happy driver installer.

After days on the phone with Apple, Apple flat out INSISTS that AMD handles the Bootcamp drivers.

Conversely, if you speak with AMD, AMD flat out INSISTS that it's Apple who supplies the drivers to AMD for bootcamp.

Don't take with issue with me on this, call them both first. Trust me. After multiple tries with different levels and departments with both Apple and AMD, they will literally leave you where Apple points to AMD, and AMD points to Apple.

Wonderful little relationship the two of them have. Meanwhile, customers can't play certain games on their still very powerful iMacs, because we can't get an up to date video driver for our systems. There are new Windows drivers, that work fine on Windows hardware. But, because Apple won't let us install windows graphics drivers on their hardware, we have to wait for ... Apple? AMD? Dunno which... to get around to drivers that will be out of date already when they get released.

0 Likes