cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SeriousHoax
Journeyman III

Blurry YouTube Videos

Hello, I'm using a system with AMD 3400G. It has issue with blurry videos on YouTube in browsers using Chromium engine like Chrome, Edge, Opera, Brave, etc.

It's probably the same on other sites too, but here the focus is on YouTube. When YouTube videos are full screened there's no blurriness but in the default/theater mode on YouTube, videos looks blurry compared to Firefox. So yeah, Firefox doesn't have this issue. Because of this, at first thought, it's an issue of Chromium, but apparently it's not. I tried it on other systems with AMD/Intel GPU's, but they don't have this problem. Looks like only integrated GPUs like 3400G, 3200G, 2200G have this blurry issue. 

If I changed the flag "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" on Edge/Chrome from "Default" to "D3D9" then it gets fixed. No more blur on YouTube. The other solution is to turn off "Hardware Acceleration". But none of this is ideal solution. D3D9 has some performance impact.

I created an issue on Chromium bug, but they were not able to reproduce it on their end. They didn't test it on a 3400G, otherwise they probably would have. They, in the end said, it's probably a driver issue. 

Here's the bug link. Check this out:

1310342 - Blurry Video (On YouTube atleast) - chromium 

It's a long known issue for AMD APU's. At least since 2019/2020. There is/was a comment made by a 3400G user either on this forum or on reddit that an old display driver fixed it for him. I can't find that comment at the moment. I remember installing that driver and that fixed the issue back then. Newer drivers since then have this issue and there's no fix for it yet. 

It really needs to get fixed. Please check this out and do something about it. If you need any more data, logs, then let me know. I'll provide that. 

2 Replies
Dmrocky11
Journeyman III

thanks for share

0 Likes
SeriousHoax
Journeyman III

So, no reply on it yet! Maybe AMD doesn't care much about APU users  

0 Likes