cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

intech
Journeyman III

Blue Screen on driver install, how do I fix this?

The title isn't totally accurate I need to explain.
On 03/02/2019 my computer blue screened with the code THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER.
After a process of elimination, I discovered the problem was the graphics card.
I attempted to install new drivers.
The computer refused to install the drivers without a signature.
After a bit of research, I deactivated the need for a signature and attempted to install it again.
Every time I tried to install the new drivers it starts Blue Screening again with the same THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER code.
After a bit more research I discovered that it might be a compatibility problem with the Intel graphics device built into the motherboard.
I uninstall the Intel graphics device.
The AMD driver installs, it does not blue screen.
Instead, I get a mess of graphical ghosting made of random shapes.
Eventually, the computer restarted and is now running a generic VGA driver.

I have a Firepro W7100 series
I have the latest version of Windows 10.

Is there a way of fixing this?

0 Likes
10 Replies
intech
Journeyman III

Fixed it.
Used the driver guide:
Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems 
Specifically, using the Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the old AMD drivers and the Intel stuff worked.

0 Likes
intech
Journeyman III

Okay, nevermind now whenever I put on a graphically intensive program the screen flickers off and the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE blue screen appears.

Great, any input would be appreciated.
Although most research online seems to suggest I need to either reinstall the Drivers again.

Or replace the atikmpag.sys and atikmpag.sy files although unlike an ATI card, AMD doesn't seem to contain fresh copies that I can see.

0 Likes
intech
Journeyman III

Right, I think I've worked out what the problem is:
Essential there's a C0337843.msi installer within the update that my computer refuses to acknowledge as a Windows program. So whenever it installs, while it does look like it's doing its thing and everything; it really hasn't, and files such as the old atikmpag.sys are still in place.
Thus Screen tearing and Blue Screens of Death.
Please update the installer, make it more sensitive to potential errors like this or at least include more redundancy to include atikmpag.sy_ like the ATI cards so I can replace the files manually.
Currently, there is no solution I can see.

0 Likes

Thanks!
Still didn't work though and I used AMD's own software too.
What I find interesting is when you try and install the new update over the current one it shows 17.12 currently "partially installed" even though the most recently installed was 18.Q4.1 and before that, I'd figuratively bleached out the old drivers and it showed no AMD drivers installed.
It's just not installing correctly and I don't know why.

Edit: I wonder if I installed the drivers directly to System32/SysWOW64, would do anything but it sounds like an incredibly bad idea.
Edit2: Nothing what so ever.

0 Likes
intech
Journeyman III

Also, I realise I didn't give a full readout of my system so:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Motherboard: G1.Sniper M5
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16GB 
Graphics Card: Firepro W7100 series

0 Likes
cstauffer
Journeyman III

My setup has been bluescreening (thread stuck in device driver) in the middle of the past few releases but usually works after rebooting, except for a blue screen during every third or fourth boot. 19.2.1 hasn't booted back up at all for me so I've rolled back to 19.1.1. I've learned to not expect much as far as AMD's Windows drivers go.

0 Likes

Quick question, is your computer running a generic driver for your monitor?

0 Likes
bray7302
Journeyman III

Try this below mehod :

Go to Control Panel

Click System and Maintenance

System

Advanced system settings (left hand panel)

Settings button under startup and recovery

Clear the checkbox “automatically restart” under System failure

Click OK twice and close the control panel

If the same problem keeps reoccurring, you may need to try other methods below.
Additionally, please try these steps and see if they help:

https://dailytechposts.com/blue-screen-of-death/ 

0 Likes

I have this same problem, did you manage to resolve this?

0 Likes