Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Jimminy89
Adept I

Black screens during gaming on 6700 xt

Hey all,

I've posted about this before, still having issues and wondered if there was anymore news regarding this issue. 

I have the above graphics card installed. Got it in January. Sometime in March I started to experience black screen during gaming resulting in me having to force the PC off and reboot it. This led to driver fails such as: 'A display driver has failed to load on your system'.

No one seemed to have a credible answer outside of reinstalling drivers, using older ones, disabling windows updates etc etc. I've tried every version of every visual driver under the sun. I used AMD cleanup tool to clear all drivers and reinstalling them again. 

The only thing I notice is that AMD Adrenalin version 22.1.1 (Jan 07) gives me the least grief. The most recent 22.5.1 simply does not work. When installing 22.1.1 I don't get any error messages at all. Yet it hasnt solved the problem. 

It was suggested to me by my partner that it could be to do with the power supply? 

I was also wondering if anyone new if there were any current problems specific to the RX 6700 with current drivers.

And of course if anyone has any new suggestions then I am all ears.

Thanks in advance, 

Jimminy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Ok so I found out that my PSU is only 550 which seems pretty low so I have purchased a new one at 750 in the hopes that it’ll fix the problem.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, and what PSU do you have?

The Englishman
ThreeDee
Paragon

List your make/model of power supply

Make sure you are running separate power cables to each power input on your 6700xt

I run the MSI 6700xt Mech 2X .. it's been a great 1440p gaming card for me

I run a Seasonic Focus 850wtt 80+ Platinum PSU with a separate power cable to each power input on the GPU. 

Just some generic advice .. never skimp on the power supply

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

You'll have to forgive me as I'm not very computer literate so this is all new for me. I don't know what my PSU is as I can't find any details in my manuals (its a prebuild) and its locked in its own compartment and I'm not confident enough to unscrew everything. I'll have a friend have a look on monday.

But I can tell you is my specs that might suggest what power it has? I've had this PC since Feb 2020.

Device name DESKTOP-MHLD8HI
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 1C488448-41BE-4B61-8C55-6FA0712D4E0D
Product ID 00325-81623-82293-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Sorry that this isn't much to go on. 

Appreciate the response!

Jimminy

0 Likes

Ok so I found out that my PSU is only 550 which seems pretty low so I have purchased a new one at 750 in the hopes that it’ll fix the problem.

550Watts, Yeah, that is too low for a 6700XT

The Englishman
0 Likes

I won’t have it installed until Monday, I’ll post here if it works. 
I’ve looked at so many different forums for this problem yet no one has ever mentioned PSU until coming on here. 

Might help someone else, but if I still encounter the problem I’ll be back to square one! 

0 Likes

You are not alone.  I just received my XFX Radeon 6700 XT and have the exact same thing happening.  I refreshed my PC yesterday, took out an older video card, and uninstalled the other card drivers.  I installed the new card this afternoon, installed the latest drivers, and began gaming.  Within 5 minutes of play, the screen went black and returned.  It continued to do this a few more times, then stopped for a bit before repeating.

I can't slay high-pitched kids in Call of Duty when the screen goes blank!!

AMD please help.  Trying really hard not to go back to your competitor.  Especially since I also do some animation in Blender and that Radeon ProRender hasn't been touched since last year.  Not getting the warm fuzzies here...

Sorry, where was I?  Oh yeah, Help!

Oh and before anyone starts yelling:

System

Windows 11 Pro

128GB Ram

Plenty of space on multiple SSD drives

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

750 watt power supply

0 Likes

make/model of your 750wtt PSU?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I have a Corsair CX750

0 Likes
CGRTist
Journeyman III

Update!  I no longer have the issue. I changed two things, (One physical and the other in Software)

First I had a PCI-X 4.0 extension so that my video card could be displayed upright.  I took that crap out of there.

2nd, I changed the AMD setting to have my max framerate to 60 fps.  I just played, and zero blank screen issues. 

I'll continue, playing, um, I mean testing and report back.

Still mad that Radeon ProRender hasn't been touched in exactly 2 years.  You hear me AMD!!!

0 Likes