cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mat
Journeyman III

Black Screen with R9 270X

I have ASUS R9 270X,i put the latest driver software,when its boot up after a few seconds go on black screen and after it freezes,also it do this 3 times and after it goes on windows repair,PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM ISSUES WITH THE DRIVER IT IS UNBELIEVABLE

110 Replies

Smells like spam to me..

moousa
Adept I

i have same problem with Radeon 19.1.1 and same in 18.12.2 Version.

i get black screen can't do anything just restart my pc .

and when pc finish booting to desk top a get massage in the right button radeom setting failure default or something like this .

I'm using Rx 480

0 Likes
marsn
Journeyman III

looks like this problem cant be solved. I have the same problem with Radeon 7850 also from september/october 18.

Card works in safe mode win 7 and win 10, when going to normal mode black screen right after windows logo.

Probably have to buy a new 1.

0 Likes

but i tray to change version it's different before i was use  19.1.1 of radeon and it happen every game

but now i back to 18.12.2 i can play 3 Hours and more i thing something with version not my GPU

lyxnafis
Adept I

It's a hopeless struggle...

I have just received my new NVIDIA Gforce 1060...

...yet, I can't believe AMD is not assuming responsibility on this matter...  any kind of responsibility... even confirming the inevitable...

jhonny1975
Journeyman III

Hy Guys. I have a 290x and after the new "2019" driver the card its die , only 2d working...i see the bios "data" , the Windows loading screen and after only black screen for 10 sec. after the monitor put in standby. So AMD thank you for you new wonderful driver that kill my (not cheap) vga card. That its shame.

amd_black_screen
Journeyman III

I don't believe this is a hardware issue. 

I have an R9 290 and experience a black screen on Windows 10 after BIOS/Windows splash screens.  I am able to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  I get a black screen only when MS update (currently disabled) switches to an AMD driver, or when I install one (in the middle of the install).  I am of course running DDU in safe mode, and I have attempted at least a dozen drivers.  This issue first arose yesterday.  No Windows Updates, new software, or new drivers were installed yesterday.

The PC does NOT crash.  I can verify this with remote desktop (TeamViewer) and Steam Link.  I'm currently writing this from my office using Steam Link while the primary display for this PC has a black screen.  3D graphics work fine, I'm able to play games and see my screen using the AMD drivers over Steam Link and remote desktop, but there is no output from the back of the card when using the AMD drivers.  It is not an HDMI port issue as it works fine when using the MBDA.

It is very frustrating to be told this is a hardware issue with the card when it appears to not be the case.

0 Likes

I appreciate your post, but for posterity can you qualify what issue this is?

Your answer will benefit future readers of this post.

0 Likes

I'm not quite sure what you're asking...I am experiencing the same issue described by multiple people in this discussion and explained in my post.

"I have an R9 290 and experience a black screen on Windows 10 after BIOS/Windows splash screens.  I am able to use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.  I get a black screen only when MS update (currently disabled) switches to an AMD driver, or when I install one (in the middle of the install)."

The screen goes black on HDMI output when my PC uses any AMD driver.  I get output before the AMD driver is loaded, in BIOS and at the Windows 10 splash screen.  I get output in safe mode, and at all times when using the MBDA.  As soon as Windows switches to the AMD driver, the main display goes black.  When the black screen occurs, I can still use the computer via other means of accessing the display, such as through a remote desktop application on my phone/another PC, and via Steam Link.  While installing drivers, I can watch the progress of the install via both my main display and via remote desktop.  As soon as Windows switches over to the AMD driver, I lose signal to my main display but can still see the screen using these other methods.  The same thing occurs if I allow Windows updates - I can load into Windows just fine using MBDA, and I can literally watch device manager.  The second the driver switches to an AMD driver the main display loses signal.

When using either of these tools to still see my desktop, testing the GPU with AMD drivers works fine; I can load games that run at full speed.

0 Likes

I had this issue on 3 of my AMD cards too. But the drivers will load and it isn't only AMD causing the problem, It is Windows Update butting in the middle of installations and corrupting the installs. Is there something AMD could do that prompts or cold stop this behavior, maybe, probably, I don't know. I know my NVidia drivers don't have install issues like this.

Want to get the driver working please try the following:

Make sure Windows is fully up to date. Make sure you scan! Don't just go to update and see it says no updates. Half the time it's wrong, so scan. 

If you have other video drivers on your system for instance intel, make sure it is fully up to date as well. 

Download the 19.2.2 driver from AMD.

Download the current, (it changes often, don't use an old version) DDU from wagnardsoft_com, read and follow instructions. Don't run it yet

Now change a couple things in Windows that will help. Disable Hibernation/Fast Startup (this stops windows from loading old cached driver info, that leads to it changing your drivers) this feature is horrible and IMHO not needed, it will make booting from a spinning disk a hair faster, but the trouble it creates is not worth it. Disable automatic driver updates (pro windows only) search google on how to to do this with Home version. A bit more tricky.

Run DDU from safe mode, disconnect from the internet, restart and install the 19.2.2 driver. Un-check the sending information back to AMD box at the bottom and un-check the auto updating (in my experience never auto update, download the stand alone driver, auto update only adds to the chance of a corrupt install), choose clean install, if that is not available thats okay DDU fully did it's job. Restart!

If it still is not all working okay, don't un-install, just express install the same driver you just installed over itself again.

If it doesn't work for you at this point you either have a corrupted Windows Registry or Bad Hardware and time for a new GPU. I personally absolutely believe that these black screen issues have likely causes premature failure in the GPU's. I heard my fans kick on HIGH when it happened on mine and turned off my machine and immediately ran DDU. For those not realizing to do that, they likely keep booting hoping the issues would correct itself thus damaging their GPU. 

Please let AMD know about your issue regardless of how it works out. They badly need to realize this is an issues and I have been letting them know about this cause myself since it first started a year ago. 

Tell AMD: Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

This would be amazing if I could update Windows while being disconnected from the Internet. As soon as I connect my ethernet cable to my PC, Windows automatically updates into an AMD driver and black screen. And yes Hardware updates are not enabled. IDK why it still updates from the Basic to AMD to Black Screen.

I don't know if it will help, but O&O ShutUp10 does have some options in the windows update section to stop those updates. It's worth a try.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

None of these made a difference.  I ended up going with a 1660ti.  

0 Likes

I understand. I went from an RX 580 to a RTX 2060 myself. 

0 Likes
elisafreeman
Journeyman III

Hi friends, buy a second-hand r9 270x 2gb oc by ebay, with the problem that you are explaining, in bios it gives me video and when I install the driver it is black, they have returned the money and I have the card because the seller I did not want to pay the expenses of return I have an air welder and heat the gpu at 400 degrees for 3 minutes, it did not work I reopened the card and this time heated all the components that were susceptible to catch high temperatures, such as memory chips etc and step heating again the gpu 5 minutes 400 degrees and 1 minute to 500 degrees to finish roasting, but the result is still the same, signs in bios and fail-safe mode, but when loading the drivers screenshot in black

0 Likes
emilioarg
Adept III

I had a similar problem when running games, I solved it by deactivating the antivirus before opening a game, for some reason Eset Internet Security does not get along well with AMD drivers and makes the screen black and freezes the pc. The only thing left to do is to restart from the button.

0 Likes
brainstyle
Journeyman III

Do NOT use HDMI connection when installing drivers. I don't have the answer to why. I only know that using a DVI-to-HDMI cable has allowed me to defeat this problem with 2 different R9 270X cards that would freeze up the system when installing drivers.

For some reason using the HDMI port causes the black screen when installing driver, but using the DVI port works just fine...

Update: Working with latest 19.6 optional drivers. The system did freeze during installation, but has successfully updated the driver and is working. 
I have also lowered the clock on the video card's GPU and Memory as well as lowered the power output because it is not necessary to run at full speed and still function smoothly. I could be wrong but I believe that the default settings are overkill.

Hopefully this works for those above who are experiencing this problem.

P.S. Both of the cards are well over 5 years old and have failed in the past due to over heating. Even right next to a air conditioner with 2 16 inch fans blowing massive air is not enough to keep these cards cool on default settings. Something needs to be done about the default settings, as well as the resetting of these settings on card failures. Resetting to default overkill settings is only causing more users more frustration and money out of pocket. Please do something about this AMD/ATI. This does not profit you when it leads to Intel/Nvidia getting all of your replacement sales!

0 Likes
vint64
Journeyman III

To anyone still coming to this thread - my report from 2020. 

My PC crashed in a game (old good World in Conflict) two times. Single color screen with black vertical lines, sound repeating on the background. After second crash I got this famous black screen. 

I reinstalled my windows like an idiot. Actually, it's still win 7 for me. But thanks to the reinstall, I figured out this thing with drivers.

I have the same symptoms: basic Windows driver - good; ANY amd driver (included 2013 one which came on the disk with the card) - black screen on startup. Then I start safe mode, delete it and I can load again in normal mode.

I have Sapphire Vapor-x version of R9 270X - blue one, with 2 coolers. One of them hasn't worked for some time, based on dust I found on him when I looked inside a tower. It only twitches at start and stop of the machine.

Seems that finally this hardware fault reached my old hag too. Well, it worked without fault since November 2013. And died last friday night, which is 2020-06-05. I think, 6.5 years is a good duration.

Gonna buy a new card. I think I will end with some another red one from sapphire. Maybe rx5500?

0 Likes
gugenheimer321
Journeyman III

September 2020 - Fixed it

Hello everyone, like many of you I had been dealing with this issue for a long time thinking it was caused by some software issue like driver or windows. I was able to fix the card by putting it in my kitchen oven for 8 minutes at 385 degrees Fahrenheit. I removed the dust from the components using 70% isopropyl alcohol with some Q-tips and then I unscrewed all the stuff from the card that could melt, n removed the thermal grease. Then I rolled up some aluminum balls and put them on a tray and the card on top of it. Afterward applied new thermal grease and reconstructed n installed. Its been working perfectly for a whole day, I'll report back here in case it screws up again. 

0 Likes

Update: November 2020

Hello again everyone, like i said: " I'll report back here in case it screws up again. "

Yesterday it stopped working again so that means putting it in the oven made it work for a little under two months more. In that time I only used the card for light CAD and video editing(not rendering) and didn't push it very hard at all.

This morning I put it back into the oven for 8 more minutes at 385 degrees Fahrenheit following the same procedure as above. Afterward I plugged it in and it's working again.Just like before, I'll report back here in case it screws up again. 

0 Likes

Im having the issue of when I install the drivers the screen goes black a d the pc doesnt work until I put it back to the microsoft ones.If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I have same problem with my 290X. Out of nowhere, the screen began to flicker, followed by a black screen. I uninstalled the graphics card driver. I installed the latest driver. During the installation (60%) the screen went black and I had to shut down the computer hard. When you turn on the computer again, the bios work, but windows has a black screen and a few colored fragments. Only replacing the graphics card and uninstalling the drivers will always help. You can then reinsert the Radeon 290x. However, if I have the driver installed, the whole problem recurs.

I have the same problem, I guess i can't do much. :( But at least I can use my pc without the drivers

I have bought old GeForce 1050 2GB and waiting till AMD or Microsoft solve this problem ... In 1 month, I will try give my 290x back to my PC ...

0 Likes

nice

0 Likes

Hi there. I've just recently encountered a very similar problem and thought to share my story.

I'd had my Sapphire R9 270X since 2013 and it only started misbehaving a week ago...
On that day I decided to play a 3D indie game about space exploration, not very graphics-demanding, but still. A few hours into the game and BAM! the screen goes grey - Thought it was some texture glitch or game crash, but no... After a restart and waiting for Windows to load, the display turned off, then quickly turned on (expected normal behaviour), but then the whole screen just went full-scale black (display is on) or full-scale green (yeah, like, some plain green colour - what!?) and didn't let me into the system, it froze over.

I've never experienced any problems of this manner, so I had no clues as to what could be the exact reason. I didn't update any of the graphics drivers around the time of the issue (well, only a few months ago, if it even counts), so I thought that it couldn't have been the cause of the issue. I must admit, though, that the last driver I installed months ago was a "wrong" one, because it was labelled for Windows 7 and I was using Windows 8.1. I simply followed an instruction where it was suggested that you manually install the drivers via Device Manager and GPU's properties - navigating it to the folder with extracted Windows 7's Adrenalin version of AMD display drivers (win7 drivers are said to be compatible with win8.1). It had worked fine for months to come, even recording videos through the Adrenalin software, playing a few games from time to time, so I still think it wasn't the source of the problem.

I started browsing and searching for possible solutions (including threads on this forum and this particular topic). Came up with certain conclusions about going through and testing nearly all of them:

• First of all, loading into Safe Mode helps in removing all the drivers and additional elements from AMD (by using DDU, of course).
  • Next, the graphics card works OK with Microsoft Basic Driver in the system, however the moment you (or Windows on its own) start installing the proper AMD's new/old (or any, really) driver in any way: manually via Device Manager, or via the installation GUI it goes black/green screen during the installation of display driver (not instantly, but at around 50-85% of installation progress).
  • In addition, changing your video cable doesn't do anything. My HDMI cable was in perfectly normal condition, I tested it later on another display and device to see if there was anything wrong with it.
  • Moreover, I even updated my MSI's motherboard BIOS to the latest 2016 version (funny thing, hah, it was running on its very first version since the 2013 and up to the end of 2020). Results - updating BIOS didn't help at all, but hey - it's nice to have, I guess.
  • Finally, reinstalling the whole OS to try and remedy this problem is nearly pointless, unless you know the exact reason for the GPU's misbehaviour.
  • Some additional info: the moment your system goes into black/green screen - it freezes over (mine does, at least), because the mouse and keyboard won't react, won't do a thing (you can detect this by pressing Caps Lock to see if the indicator turns on/off - when it freezes over, it will get stuck being either off or on permanently).

This whole week I've been dedicating nearly all my free time in the evening to the fruitless attempts at resolving this annoying issue. Unfortunately, I've found the answer. My GPU is failing. Yeah :robotsad: After 7 years of work it has decided to go.

I managed to find this out by reinstalling my OS yesterday as one of my last resort measures... I simply noticed two big vertical stripes around 2-3 cm. thick to the sides of the screen (almost symmetrically dividing it into three parts) which were slightly off-tinted/discoloured compared to the plain deep blue/violet background of Windows installation software. These stripes can be barely seen on complex images (they only slightly distort colours), but can be instantly noticed on a few specific colours/tints if viewed on a plain surface (painted the canvas deep red colour in Paint.exe and zoomed in to check it out).

So, to make a long story short - the issue might be the fact that your GPU is dying (or one of its components is failing).

I'm currently using an old nVidia card (GTS 250) to be able to work and run simple programmes until I have the means to acquire a new graphics card that can be of similar or better performance compared to R9 270X. I'm also planning on taking my R9 270X to a service centre to see if my assumption about GPU failing is correct and whether it is possible to repair it for a reasonable price. I'd be happy to be wrong about it being a hardware issue, instead of driver/software malfunction.

P.S. This is only a recollection of my story with my particular GPU, so not all of these scenarios might apply to your case. If you have a spare GPU (or a borrowed one) to test and see if it's the issue with your card and not the system/cable/motherboard - do it. If the problem is with AMD drivers/software, then I'm not sure what to say other than "wait for the updated ones" or "try an older driver as an experiment".

P.S.S. Haven't tried the method with baking your GPU in an oven... I'm not really that good of a cook or chef, you know, so this gourmet solution is definitely not for my tastes.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D
0 Likes

It is not hardware issue becouse almost all AMD cards have black screen issue when they put the software on gaming mode the fix I found for rx 5700 series it might work for the rest because it is software problem and windows 10 . 

0 Likes

Try this this helped ppl that had same issue with different AMD cards 

https://youtu.be/nHd0065duKE

Also AMD drivers have some issue with unreal engine 4 any game that came out that have this engine will crash depends on your settings and you PC . Also play games on window mode full screen is bad news for AMD users hope unreal engine 5 won't be like this . 

0 Likes
baboytw
Journeyman III

I am a Korean gamer. I solved it by baking it in the oven.

This is not a Windows Update issue.

It's not an amd driver issue either.

The problem is caused by the soldering of the core of the graphics card.

vga : r9 270x (2013.12)

• baking : 220°C (430°F) , 7 minutes

reference site : https://wmhn2016.tistory.com/m/31

Good luck

0 Likes

If anyone is seeing this after 2021 I'm a hardware tech and had a client present with this issue - AMD FX Proc / ASUS board etc - been working for literally years and in the middle of a game it went dark -- never came back.  Didn't artifact or have obvious graphic glitches - just a black screen when the driver initializes in the Windows environment.

Replaced the card with a new nVidia and sent the client on their way.  Now I'm curious - using different hardware and Win 10 21H1 couldn't get this card to work when the internals are initialized with ANY driver - tried older AMD - Driver only - Factory reset you name it.   I was convinced there was a driver that caused this but no matter what I tried I couldn't bring it back with other than Microsoft Standard Display Adapter. 

On a whim (and after reading about additional heat with newer drivers) I tried a complete clean of this card, heat gun, and heat paste - I was able to get the card to work with the driver that was last installed--and not working earlier!

So here is my take - there are more than likely some weak solder connections on a portion of the product line out there.  When an older card pushes the thermal boundaries dictated by the newer drivers the cards fail.  Plain and simple. Could take literally years and now we are seeing more and more proof of this.  By doing a thermal solution like this as a last resort it proves without a shadow of a doubt that this is indeed a hardware issue.  The SAME card with the SAME drivers but with some physical work on the card (heat, re-grease etc) proves it in my case.   Those without heat guns can use the oven method - various levels of success there but remember these products are still susceptible to static damage.  Make sure your fans are working and clear of debris as the later drivers run hotter.

The latest legacy driver as of this date is 21.5.2 (June 21) for Windows 10 x64

radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.5.2-win10-64bit-legacyasics-june21-legacy

Good luck to those this problem affects!

0 Likes

Background

This issue just arose 2 days ago on my MSI R9 290x Lightning. I shut off my computer the night before, after configuring Radeon Chill for WoW Classic. When I woke up the next morning, I attempted to boot my computer, only to be met with a black screen (without a cursor) after the Windows logo. I've done numerous things to attempt to solve this issue, starting with rolling back Windows 10 to a previous date, then attempting to install Windows 11 (I figured why not give it a shot?), then back to Windows 10 multiple times, testing newer and older drivers and uninstalling using DDU -- after each attempt at fixing the issue, I was once again met with the black screen. 

That leads me to now. I have come to the same conclusions that the people in this thread have found -- the only way to run my card is with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. Anything else and I get a black screen.

Response

So, given my (and others) predicaments, would you mind explaining exactly how you went about heating your card? Did you focus the heat on a specific area of the card (GPU die/VRAM/etc.), or did you just heat the card evenly? Additionally, what temperature was your heat gun set to, and for how long did you heat the card for?

Now obviously, this is a do-at your own risk sort of thing, so any advice would be appreciated, but ultimately I know that a positive outcome is completely uncertain. But hey, what exactly do I have to lose? The card is clearly dead -- or dying, depending on how you look at it, so if by chance this can temporarily revive the card, I'm willing to try it. Especially since the GPU market is absolutely insane right now, and I'd rather not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

0 Likes