cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thorpheus
Journeyman III

Black screen while updating drivers

Been trying to get my driver updated for the last few weeks but everytime it gets to around 70% I get a black screen and have to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver. I've seen a few other posts about it while looking for a solution and so far none of them seem to work. I think I may need a new card but I'm trying everything I can to get it working before I buy one. 

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8350 38 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-990FX-GAMING (CPU 1) 38 °C
Graphics
ASUS VW199 (1024x768@64Hz)
ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000VX000-1CU162 (SATA ) 33 °C
111GB ZOTAC ZTSSD-A4P-120G (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

0 Likes
9 Replies
whitesnake76
Adept II

Did you wait a couple of minutes? sometimes it can take a few minutes.

Also make sure you do not have more than one screen connected, or turn them all on.

P.S.:

"16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)"

That should be Dual Channel, Single Channel is slower, so you want to check that out.

If you got 2x 8GB Modules, than they need to be in slot 2 and 4 as counted from the CPU.

If you got 4x 4GB Modules check the Bios because something has to be wrong.

0 Likes

Yeah I left it on for about 16 hours and nothing

Will check out the RAM out though. Thank you

0 Likes
thorpheus
Journeyman III

Fixed the RAM but it didn't help with the drivers.

I bought the GPU in like 2013 so it probably needs replace but it worked fine a couple of weeks ago until I did a system restore.

0 Likes
whitesnake76
Adept II

Uninstall the AMD Radeon driver and than use AMD Cleanup Utility https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601  and than reinstall the drivers.

0 Likes
gcabral08
Adept I

I have the same problem. My 5700 is currently a brick. If you find a solution, please share.

0 Likes
thorpheus
Journeyman III

Did that and and read that updating it through the device manager using the file from my PC could help fix it.

Didn't get a black screen this time but I got a green one with lines running through itIMG_20200401_015531.jpg

0 Likes
nicoverali
Journeyman III

Hi ,

I'm from Argentina. I've also have this problem but with the R9 270x. I've try everything I could and nothing was working.

I tried removing all fans from the gpu and clean it. After that it worked for about 2 weeks until the black screen appaired again and I couldn't install the drivers (same as the first time). So I've tried everything I could again and nothing worked.

Then I remember one thing that I did the first time, when I remove the fans, and before mount it again, I try to plug the gpu without fans and without the heatsink, and turn the computer on like 4 or 5 times, it didn't work either but it was after that, that suddenly the black screen disappear for those 2 weeks. So I tried that again and magically it works. I don't know if it was coincidence or what, but now is currently working.

Maybe you could try that if you have nothing else to try. And please if you do comment back so I know it's not coincidence

0 Likes

And also, I forgot, try installing the drivers from device manager: Installing AMD drivers with Device manager - Hopper 

0 Likes
thorpheus
Journeyman III

I got a new Nvidia GPU yesterday and everything is working good so far so I think it was just my GPU finally died after 8 years lol

0 Likes