cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

igbe
Journeyman III

Re: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

I've actually had the same problem: having a HD 7700 and suddenly (I think after a windows update - the anniversary update(?)) the problems started with having a black screen (actually, a black 'backlight' screen) when I rebooted the PC.

Now, to be sure: there might be different causes and reasons for such a failure, so I don't know if others will have *exactly* the same as me. For starters, with me it wasn't a problem with a dvi-d output on a TFT screen, but it WAS a problem when I tried to use the DVI-I (with adapter) to see something on my (CRT/VGA) screen. And it wasn't about a BSOD (as I've read someone here claim): it was just the screen going black, the PC and win10 started just fine. I'm sure of this, because I could enter through teamviewer (on another PC) and everything worked ok; I could even reboot from it.

That's also how I noticed it was never with simply *restarting* windows, but only after *shutdown' AND THEN starting it up again, I got the black screen.

Now, I tried numerous, numerous things. All what has been described here and elsewhere on the Net and more: installing the latest drivers, installing legacy drivers, reinstalling the entire windows, etc. Nothing worked. Very frustrating, I must say. I wasted so much time on this. But the hint I got was that it did work after restart, but not after shutdown, so I began to think it had nothing to do with the driver on itself (though it did work when I installed the generic windows drivers, but then one is limited to the resolutions and Mhz of those, which isn't much use neither). But since it used to work, but not after the windows update, surely it must be something to do with that and/or some setting or interference with the driver and/or a power-state or wake-up call of the PC. I tried to have the 'sleep' and 'power' settings doing different things, but that didn't seem to work neither. And then I found something that did.

For me, what solved it was this:

In win10, go to settings, system, power&sleep, additional power settings, choose what the power button does, change settings that are currently unavailable. After that, you'll see the grey-out checkboxes at the bottom becoming black so you can alter them, and then you un-check 'turn on fast startup'. It says it's 'recommended', but actually, that's what is causing the problem, and you really don't notice any delay when starting up, so I'm left wondering why it's put there. This could also be something that was put there during a large window-update, or it might have been 'checked on' at that time, or maybe they made some changes to it - but in any case, if you un-check that box and save it, and you had the same problem as me, chances are high it will solve your black-screen problem with the HD7700 as well.

At least it's preferable to try this first before baking your vid or re-installing windows... :-)

Greetz,

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Glad you found this. This is something often recommended to Windows 10 users to remedy issues. You will find this advice on many threads here.  Fast Startup is a cached startup that may contain information that is not current or even corrupt and can cause issue all for the sake of saving a few seconds. On SSD or NVME systems the difference is pretty negligible. Glad you turned it off as IMHO it is always best to start fresh every time.

0 Likes
konrad
Journeyman III

I see no one has given a relatively definitive answer for this problem, so I shall...having just battled and solved it on a Win7 ultimate install.

The driver install assumes the HDMI port on the card is the primary.

Because everyone always hooks the HDMI to their monitor and the VGA to their entertainment systems...right? 

If you have a desktop with your HDMI hooked up to something other than the monitor, disconnect it and reinstall the driver.  If you have a laptop with an HDMI port, either disable it in BIOS (if that is possible) and reinstall the driver, or, alternatively, hook a spare monitor up to your HDMI port...I'm inferring the winblows logon will come up there.

0 Likes
fenasikerim
Journeyman III

Ulen AMD Sokayım senin yapacağın işe. Windows 7 x64 işletim sisteminde AMD HD 7770 ekran kartı sürücüsünü kurunca ekran kararıyor. Görüntü gelmiyor. 1 Aydır çözüm bulamadım. Bir daha AMD Ati ekran kartı almam aldırmamda. Yazıklar olsun.....

0 Likes
piraterobot1
Journeyman III

Literally tried everything in this post to salvage my 7870. Miraculously, baking the card worked.

All other solutions tried: Reinstalled Windows, rolling back drivers, formatting, RAM tests, switching out hard drives. DDU was ran more times than I can count. Computer would let me boot into safe mode but it was impossible to install drivers via AMD or Windows 10 during normal boot. Trying to install the drivers would make normal boot no longer function and I would get the dreaded black screen.

Before I resigned myself to trashing the card, I followed Kiwinadian's suggested instructions to bake the card. (375 degrees F for 9 minutes, 1 minute to sit in the oven and then let it cool on a tray). After re-applying thermal paste and attaching fans I installed the card.

I was able to install drivers after doing this. The card has been working fine for several days now. Could not freaking believe it.

It's entirely possible the baking did nothing at all and it was just the cleaning and the re-application of the thermal paste that did all the work. Regardless, it's great to not have to chunk a perfectly functional card away. Thank you so much! You saved me and my brother in law some money and grief by not having to look for a new card!

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

Glad it worked out,

I know it was crazy to me at the time as well. I have long since moved on

to an RX 580, but I donated the card to a church that has been using it to

encode weekly video, and run their whole daisy chained monitor system.

It's been 3 years now and the thing is still going strong, it's really

unbelievable. I'm glad it worked out for you.

All the best, happy gaming.

0 Likes
anthomaxyd
Journeyman III

Hello everyone, i've got the same issue with my radeon ... GPU. Anyway after trying everything like update software, or dowload and old software, flashing BIOS, downgrtinting mywindows setup.... i've try to bake my GPU as tell sooner in the thread and it work for me, so thanks, the baking (190 °C for 9 minutes works). Good luck for every one doing this.

0 Likes
piraterobot1
Journeyman III

Glad to hear it worked for you as well! Thanks for spreading the word.

0 Likes