cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

elstaci
MVP

Re: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

Hey, No problem. I know you weren't negating what I was saying. I just wanted to let you know who I was talking to and why I posted that message.

I had before a VisionTek HD 7850 which was an excellent GPU card. I still have it in case my new GPU card goes on the blink. I bought a new GPU card because I thought the AMD driver that I installed bricked my card. After purchasing the new card, I found out I had one of four memory modules that was very bad. I removed the bad memory module and was able to update my drivers and Windows without BSODing constantly. It seems because the Memory module was bad, When I updated my AMD Driver it was updated corrupted. Not enough to show an error but enough to change the parameters of my HD 7850 card so that whenever I rebooted, I got a black screen. I went to VisionTek Support and downloaded their old AMD driver from their website and installed it. My HD 7850 came back to life again and started working normally again. I guess the manufacturer's AMD Driver reset my HD 7850 back to its default parameters. I then updated to the latest AMD Driver at that time and it installed perfectly. But since I purchased a much newer GPU card I removed and installed the new card. That is why I suggest to check the hardware or Windows Installation if installing old and new GPU drivers doesn't work.

Seems like the latest Windows Update did a job on both AMD and Nvidia Drivers. Both AMD & Nvidia forums I have seen people complain about updating and getting Black screens from the GPU cards.

When I purchased my Asus Sabertooth 990FX gen 2.0 motherboard, I installed Asus AI Suite II to maintain my cpu and case fans and to be able to flash my BIOS while in the Windows Environment. Never had a problem until I started having weird issues with Windows. Part of the problem, I found out recently, was that the latest Windows Update bricked the program. I couldn't even uninstall it. I needed to use Revo Uninstaller to locate all files and for me to manually delete it by the program. I needed to download the MSI Installer .exe file that was used to install AI Suite II to get it to even start to uninstall without errors. But unfortunately, It didn't uninstall it. Thus i needed to do a HARD uninstall using Revo Uninstaller to locate all files and registry data to delete it manually. Now my Windows is working fairly well as long as I don't let it go into it Sleep cycle. Otherwise, it screws my Audio to where I needed to reboot to get it working again. I went to Microsoft Forum to get advice and they told me to uninstall Mcafee Anti-Virus and use strictly Windows Defender A/V. I mentioned I would do that if they can positively show me it was the AntiVirus that was causing the issue otherwise I wouldn't uninstall it to use a average Antivirus program like Defender. The Microsoft Moderator didn't like that I didn't want to use Defender. I than posted several websites links stating the Defender was good but not as good as 3rd Party Antivirus. They say they and hundreds of other Microsoft Moderators stand on Defender being an outstanding Antivirus. According to the MS Moderator, all those test performed on Anti-Virus programs to test their effectiveness are basically bribed by the 3rd party programmers to give their antivirus a good test results.

Sorry for babbling, LoL, got off the subject.

ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Thank you all guys. I know updating a BIOS is kind of risky and it may not solve the problem, but given this point I think there's not much more to do besides trying the few options we have left. Other users with apparently the same problem have solved it in different ways, so we'll see. I don't have much hopes but I'll try this Sunday.

I didn't know you could update a BIOS in Windows environment, those are good news. I'll be really careful in any case! I'll try changing the card to another memory module just in case. If nothing of this works I guess I'll have to buy another card lol

Thanks guys! I'll come and tell you any news.

0 Likes
sushama22
Journeyman III

sorry i didn't help you same problem happen with me also. I am also confuse don't know what to do

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Yes, I found that flashing the BIOS under Windows environment was really easy to do with Asus AI Suite II that came with my motherboard's drivers. But as mentioned above, I needed to uninstall it because the last Windows Update bricked the program.

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

Hey all,

Any one have any updates on their situation? Any fixes to the BSOD forthcoming?

I had a thought while I was messaging the XFX rep assigned to my case. I read on some other forum (I apologize as I can't remember where it was) of a user with a similar card who tried it in three of his friend's rigs.  It worked in 1 of the 4 he tried. Its confusing as to why that would be the case, especially since a revert to Windows 7 should really fix the issue if it were related to an issue with recent windows updates. My only thought would be that something has caused the card, the AMD driver, or the windows power management to read faulty values for the voltage requirements, and the one rig that worked had a significantly more than adequate power supply and was able to supply an over-inflated demand. I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's the only plausible explanation I can think of as to why the issue is occurring.

The other feasible answer is that some recent update has caused our cards to either over- or under-volt, and this has caused failure to many cards while under load. The most likely culprit would be corruption of the vram, as it is not protected by thermal protection, and has no sensor data warning the card of dangerous heat levels. The other option is that something is causing a memory violation - either a faulty driver, or some incompatibility between the driver, windows, and the specific memory modules used on these southern isles cards. This in turn causes the driver to hang on initialization, thus the Thread_stuck_in_driver BSOD.

Maybe one day we'll have working cards again. Keep your chins up.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

You know the funny thing about all this stuff is that I have a Saphire 7870, 7950, and an R9 380  they all run Windows 10 64 bit one is in an AMD AM2+ and the other two are on AM3 boards. Never an issue with any of them. All running the latest drivers right now. Yet I have not had my new XFX RX 580 be able to run without hacks to Windows and custom settings in Wattman since I got it in November. I really wonder how much of these issues do start with improper bios setting that never get fixed by the cards makers. I don't know what else makes sense as to why some cards work and others don't. It's either gotta be bad hardware control settings in the bios or or bad QC in the parts themselves. No doubt the drivers have issues. But really it's not like everyone is literally having issues. We'd be over run here and we'd see reports on the news by now, I would think. So this stuff has gotta be working for many people too. I know this XFX was absolutely useless in wanting to help me. It is how I ended up here. I hadn't had a real video card issue since the old S3 Savage 3D days. I gotta admit though with the issues I have seen here of the hit and miss problems including on their own MB's and processors, it may be tough playing the Silicon Lottery on my next purchase. I am ready to buy right now I am just waiting to see how the new Ryzen 2 platform works when it comes out. If it isn't silky smooth, I may be jumping ship. I know this I bought my son an I5 7500 and a GTX 1050 ti and he has not had a single issue from the day he started using it. It just flat out works. I am not ripping on AMD far from it, I have definitely been in the Fanboy camp a long time. Had that system I bought my kid not been an emergency purchase and a great open box deal I wouldn't have seen the current other side of things.
0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

I feel you man, I am as stoked as the next person about the potential of Ryzen and Threadripper, but unfortunately this experience with my GPU and the lack of response worries me enough to question what sort of support we would get for issues involving older CPU hardware in the future.

Ironically, this is the second XFX GPU I have had fail on me. The first was an old 8800gt, which luckily got RMAed just weeks before it was off warranty. That one was an obvious failure, with random BSODs and artifacts and the whole shebang. This problem just feels like a someone shut off a switch and now the card just refuses to load into an elevated state.

I've been reading the forums on those problematic newer cards and that sucks. A card running at stock should last and be effective for years. This sort of instability on a newer premier product is just unacceptable. I feel that these companies are so just sitting in Silicone Valley unaware that much of the world can't afford to just replace a GPU on a whim every few months, not to mention years.

0 Likes
ineedhelp
Journeyman III

Re: Black screen when installing AMD drivers

IS yours still broken?

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Re: Black screen when installing AMD drivers

I had resolved those issues back in december by changing several settings. Not sure if it was one or the combination of things that helped. But never had to do anything special on my prior cards and they are all still running fine.

0 Likes
kiwinadians
Adept II

So... I finally fixed my issue. After trying practically anything I could think of, even reverting back to fresh Win 7 and 8.1 installs, I decided to bake my card (I know, it doesn't actually reflow the solder...). I do believe what we are experiencing is a hardware issue, and that the Thread_stuck_in_driver BSOD is related to failing hardware. So I baked it and now it works.

While I am thankful it is working, I still have significant concerns with regard to why we are seeing significant amounts of failed older cards(and to be fair, a lot of newer cards) running at stock speeds under fairly normal conditions. I think the recent rash of failed cards is due in part to a combination of software issues between Windows and AMD, and their effect on our hardware has caused undue stress on them during acceptable loads under normal, stock circumstances. Good luck getting them to ever admit to that though.

So you can try baking your card and see if it helps. My recipe:

Remove heatsink/fan, and clean all thermal paste/pad residue with isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (or just some paper towel).

Pre-heat oven to 190 C (375 F). Check to make sure it is that temperature with an oven or candy thermometer.

Place aluminium foil on a over tray. Ball up 4 pieces of aluminium foil to make supports, and place the card face up on the supports. Make sure it is level, and the foil balls are not touching any components (have them at screw mounting points).

Bake for 9 minutes, and once your timer beeps, turn off the oven, open the door slightly, but leave the card in for another minute.

Carefully remove the tray from the oven, and let the card cool for about half an hour.

Re-apply thermal paste, attach fan and heatsink.

Profit?!?

I haven't put it through any rigorous tests yet, but so far it seems to be doing alright. Mileage may vary. Let me know if it works for you.

0 Likes