cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dimi1606
Adept II

Re: Black screen when installing AMD drivers

Makes sense. So there has to be something wrong with the driver.

I modded my BIOS and set the voltages to fixed values. The complete black screen is gone now, but my monitor will lose its signal once on Windows login screen. This is kinda the most stable it has ever gotten with newer drivers. I will also try to lower the memory clock and see if the signal loss will be gone. But again: this cannot be the solution to this. AMD should acknowledge this issue already. When they introduced the first drivers for Windows creators update, they mentioned it under "Known Issues". But it magically disappeared without ever getting fixed or mentioned again.

0 Likes

Adrenaline has been a headache for most people. I hope the time they are taking before issuing a new driver update, they are working on fixing the issues.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Tomorrow I'll try installing 17.7.2 as you say dimi1606, I'll post my results.

Honestly I'm hoping AMD is working on this, because I have no idea how to modify the vBIOS, and I don't really want to mess with it unless it was my last resort. If the solution was fixing something on the vBIOS, who would be responsible for providing a solution? AMD, or my GPU manufacturer (XFX in my case)?

Again, it would be nice hearing something from AMD about this issue I'll fill that AMD Issue Reporting Form, I encourage you guys to do the same.

0 Likes
dimi1606
Adept II

Well, I wish you good luck. Modding the vBIOS didn't fix it for me. It just made it "better". So I'm back to the old driver as well.

0 Likes
nefe
Adept II

Modding the vBIOS sounds like a bit of a long shot indeed. Plus if we do that and we end up breaking things, then the manufacturer will simply say that it's our own fault for messing with something we aren't supposed to, and down goes the warranty.

I don't know if AMD takes this kind of issue seriously but I certainly do. If it turns out this cannot be fixed, I will vote with my wallet by turning towards another brand the next time I buy a component for my computer.

maruahanka
Adept I

I just tried installing driver 17.7.2 with the same results.

Black screen after the installation was finished.

0 Likes

revert back to a stable version. this driver was rushed because of the holiday and poorly tested.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Re: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

Same thing. Tried installing 17.7.2 with no positive results.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Has anyone got any update on this? I have a beautiful and expensive paperweight at my desk since 3 weeks ago and I'm giving up hope of solving the issue.

Does anyone know if I would have the same problem with another AMD card? I don't have one to test.

0 Likes

I read that Windows is issuing an update for AMD devices that have been basically rendered bricks but the update. I don't know what to tell you man. You might have to a complete factor reset.

0 Likes