Adept II

Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7

Setup:

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Driver: Radeon Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2 Optional

Intel i5 3570 - 8GB of RAM

Hello everyone,

My PC crashed while my brother was playing some game, and ever since I'm unable to boot if I have any AMD drivers installed unless I'm in Safe Mode. After the Windows logo everything I get is a black screen I've tried everything you suggest with DDU and even did a clean install of Windows, which has not solved the problem.

Hope I can get some help here from you guys. Thanks!

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

Tags (1)
77 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Black screen when installing AMD drivers

ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Sorry, but I'm not getting any help in there and I think I did not address the issue correctly. My real problem isn't the "No AMD driver..." error message, but the black screen. I posted this because I wanted to re-address it.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Rules are rules. Bump your old post or edit it...don't post another. You will have people wasting their time giving you the same answers you have already received. Use the search function of the forum to read similar posts and make sure your OS is up to date.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Matt_AMD
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've locked the older thread, please use this one going forward.

ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Thank you amdmatt​, sorry if I caused any inconvenience.

kingfish​ I understand, I'll take it into account for a next time.

Regarding the issue, yes, my Windows is fully updated. I've tried installing the two newer drivers (17.12.2 and 17.12.1), but none of them worked.

I also tried installing older CCC drivers (16.6,15.2 and 14.4). 16.6 didn't work, and with 15.2 and 14.4 Windows managed to boot, but the screen was filled with artifacts and it crashed in around a minute in both cases.

I've also tried installing the driver manually (extracting the files and installing only the Display Driver through the Device Manager), and it didn't work.

I read in another recent post a user that solved the problem modding the vBIOS, but I have no idea how that works. Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks in advance!

maruahanka
Adept I

I'm running into the same issue. I've managed to isolate the steps that cause the black screen for me (the screen is on but just outputting a black screen). It seems to be during the driver install.

CPU: Phenom II X4 955

GPU: XFX 7870

What I've tried so far:

1. Did clean install of windows.
  2. Prevented windows from installing 3rd party hardware drivers (not doing this installed AMD display driver which causes black screen).
  3. Performed all OS updates.
  4. Attempted to install Radeon Software "Adrenalin Edition 17.12.2" ('17.12.1" has the same results)
  5. During the installation my monitor goes black and stays black.

Power cycling the computer seems to remove the driver and reverts to the basic windows display driver and lets me boot into my desktop.

nefe
Adept II

Same problem for me.

CPU: AMD - FX 6300 - Black Edition

GPU: MSI - Radeon R7 370 Gaming - 4 Go

I already made a thread about it in which several possible solutions were given (none of which worked for me): GPU black screen with R7 370

Apparently, it could be a driver conflict with Windows 10.

0 Likes
ezrawolvenheart
Adept II

Currently I'm running W7, and I've read around the forum and various websites that people with W7/W8/W10 have pretty much the same issue. It seems to be something related with AMD drivers and Windows in general, I don't know. I've also read about people who have upgraded or downgraded their system to no avail. the problem seems to persist.

Yesterday I was reading this post which seemed to talk about our same problem: R9 290 Crashing With Black Screen

Apparently they modded the vBIOS or something like that. Can anyone shine a light on this? Does it work? merutsuelstaci

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

You need to ask the OPS of the thread. Seems like it did work. But you have to realize that each GPU vBIOS is different. Upgrading a BIOS on a computer, you use a file from the manufacturer specially made for that BIOS upgrade. But on vBIOS you are changing manually the parameters of the vBIOS. Input a wrong data and you can have an expensive paperweight unless the GPU card has a backup vBIOS.

I would suggest everyone with the recent black screen issue to make a "AMD REPORT ISSUE" ticket here: AMD Issue Reporting Form