cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Black screen on the first Windows boot (Nitro+ RX 5700 XT)

Jump to solution

Clearly your RX5700XT GPU choice was an easy upgrade and proved cheaper than just buying a 2070 Super.

View solution in original post

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

You are completely right. I have saved probably $100 buying RX5700XT and have spent a bit more than $200 trying to make AMD thing work without big success!

Directed by Robert B. Weide

P.S. Connected my second old 23" monitor (LG D2342P) via HDMI. PC was off for over 4 hours and it is working for over 1 hour without any black screens! I don't plan keeping it though, one monitor is enough for me.

P.P.S. I wish AMD displaying black screen above instead of just black screen...

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Do you mean 19.12.1? Just to make sure:

1) Uninstall everything using DDU;

2) Install Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + driver as usual;

3) Update display+audio driver via device manager manually, using drivers stored in C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.4.2-Apr23\Packages\Drivers ?

Since I've noticed that system behaves a bit different, I have just uninstalled Enterprise driver and installed 20.4.2 GUI + Driver back. If that fails to run on a cold boot in the morning, I'll try your kind suggestion, thanks!

I'm starting thinking it's somehow related with monitor (it was working good on R9 380 though for almost 1 month via HDMI). Let's see what DP 1.4 cable will do, can't wait to get it soon (most likely, it will be delivered this week finally)

Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Correct. I would reboot after 2) and make sure that Adrenalin 19.12.1 drivers seem to be working correctly firts, and then do 3) as you said above. 
Just in case anything goes wrong, make sure you run a full windows 7 type backup first and make sure you know how to boot into save mode on your PC just in case you get a black screen at boot.

I have been running well on RX Vega 64 Liquid now for a few days using Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 drivers.
OK?
I wish you luck.   

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Same problem with "radeon pro software"

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Morning my time. First cold boot. The 2nd monitor is connected via HDMI and I'm using 20.4.2 driver. It works!

Opened Chrome, playing YouTube music on one screen and writing this message on another. No critical errors on boot according to Event Viewer.

Any ideas? Probably, 5700XT needs more load? Now I think that new DP 1.4 cable I'm waiting for won't help. On the other hand, I didn't try isolating pin 20 in current DP cable, so probably it's somehow linked with power.

What a crazy world!

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

It still works good on cold boot with 2 monitors connected. What I've noticed is that coolers are turning on more frequently (e.g. each 10 mins at ~1300RPM) but that's expected.

Also, when 1 monitor was connected VRAM was at ~300MHz mark and it was increasing when you watch video/play game/run videocall. Here is old screenshot:

pastedImage_2.png

Now it's at 1750MHz almost all the time:

pastedImage_3.png

I'll try it later when 2nd monitor will be disconnected but probably setting VRAM to 1750MHz manually will solve the problem with 1 monitor. We were looking at GPU clock all the time.

Also, it may be indeed DP-cable related issue.

UPD May 5th: Running just great, without single crash since morning. I don't need 2nd monitor for everyday usage but it's helpful during online work on quarantine. Patiently waiting for the next driver update + I'll raise another ticket to AMD asking why it works with 2 monitors. I've got impression that 5700XT simply needs heavy loads  Tomorrow, I'll try enabling Freesync (Ultimate Engine) to see whether it makes any difference and causes black screens

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I have investigated about the serious situation that many present, black screen, audio video, not being able to install the software, not detecting gpu, etc. What I see completely feasible right now is to wait for the big windows update plus a week or two for the amd team to get familiar with it and get a new software update, drivers or whatever is necessary and thus be able to obtain a solution to all the big problems we have, this will take possibly 1 month from now, but it is the most viable and safe for amd to solve your problem, the key is the great update of windows, not our components that worked perfectly fine previously.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I don’t know if you solved the problem or not, but here is how I solved it.
It's not about the drivers, but in Windows.
Go to the Control Panel (Large Icons) -> Power Options -> Activate Power Buttons -> Change Settings That Are Not Available Now -> Uncheck "Enable Quick Launch"
It helped me !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Я не знаю решил ли ты проблему или нет, но вот как решил ее я.
Дело не в драйверах, а в Виндовс.
Заходишь в Панель управления (Крупные значки) -> Электропитание -> Действие кнопок питания -> Изменение параметров которые сейчас не доступны -> Убрать галочку "Включить быстрый запуск"
Мне помогло!

Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I've read about such solution earlier, but I don't have such option unfortunately:

pastedImage_1.png

Most likely, that's because my motherboard is not so fresh. Fast boot is disabled on BIOS level but it did not make any difference.

---------------

Благодарю, но у меня такой опции нет. А вот с двумя экранами работает все, я еще заметил кое-что, опишу отдельным постом.

0 Kudos