cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Black screen on fullscreen; brand new 2400G

Hello,

Yesterday I built a new system for my kids to do homework and Minecraft. It was basically the same as the review kit AMD sent out for Ryzan APUs: 2400g + Gigabyte AB350N mITX, fresh install of Windows 10. Single monitor: AOC AG322FCX 1920x1090x144Hz Freesync.

Sadly, whenever it goes into fullscreen mode the screen goes black. Sometimes it flickers back again for a few seconds then goes again. Minecraft has an additional problem that even in windowed mode the screen occasionally goes bright green and can only be retrieved by F11ing into fullscreen mode (upon which it goes black) and then F11ing back again. Games that can run in borderless window mode are unaffected. Low demand games like Minecraft and Strike Suite Zero are affected, but World of Warships can run fine on near max settings in borderless mode so I don't think it's a lack of grunt.

The windows 10 display scaling is set to the default 100%. I am using the 17.7 driver, which the AMD website and wizard say is the latest for the 2400g (I thought we were on to Adrenaline 18.3 by now though?). I have been searching forums all day. Most solutions are linked to specific versions of Nvidia drivers and an Nvidia panel option called "Adjust desktop size and position", which does not seem to have an AMD 17.7 analogue.

I have tried vSync on and off, different resolutions, underclocking the RAM and the iGPU, to no avail.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a driver or a Windows problem, but this is a fresh install of everything.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Damian

0 Likes
8 Replies

Addit:

Now WoWS goes black on windowed fullscreen, but an ordinary window is rock solid stable.

Also, I've run SFC /scannow with no adverse findings.

0 Likes

Ok, an update. Disabling Freesync as suggested elsewhere on the forum has stopped the black screens. However, it's not an ideal solution. Affordable variable refresh was one of the reasons I went with Ryzen rather than an i3+1030 or 1050. Also, the 2400g needs variable refresh to smooth it's generally low frame rates. Has anyone been able to solve this problem once and for all?

Damian

0 Likes

I believe the driver 17.7 is the latest for the APU with Vega graphics. You don't have a separate Discrete Graphics card installed do you?

Is your son's Minecraft the latest version. I noticed that the game's website says that Minecraft is now Windows  10 compatible. This link from the game's website you can upgrade the game for Free for Windows 10: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/minecraft-windows-10-edition-faq if the game is not the latest version.

0 Likes

OK, I think I've fixed it thanks to a post on the Toms Hardware forum:

under Display in the AMD settings app I changed the scaling mode from "Preserve Aspect Ratio" to "Full Panel".

Freesync now appears to be working.

This feature could be better documented, or default to the most compatible mode, AMD.

0 Likes

Seems like many problems are due to Mis-configured settings. Anyway good troubleshooting.

You should mark "Answer is Correct" on last or best post that solved the original problem . so others will know the issues you had were fixed so that they can read about themselves.

0 Likes

No such luck, alas. After an hour or so the black screens started again. Tomorrow I’ll try hdmi instead.

0 Likes

OK, HDMI seems to have fixed it, even with a cheap generic cable.

0 Likes
hendrix2222
Journeyman III

Not sure if anyone is having a similar issue as me, but I also had black screen issues with games in fullscreen. I tried a number of things, but what fixed it was a setting on my ASUS monitor called ASCR. It attempts to dynamically adjust the brightness of the screen. However, it was completely shutting the monitor off when I played any game that had portions that were very dark. For example, Kingdom Come: Deliverance. If I attempted to sneak at night, the entire screen would go black. Drove me nuts for months before I figured it out. You can find this setting in the same location as the Freesync settings.

0 Likes