cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Cluffy
Journeyman III

Black screen flickering

Sorry to start another black screen topic but I've had no luck finding anything.

I've just built a new system with  ryzen 9 5900X, Gigabyte Aorus master MB and a 6950 XT.

I'm running a Sony TV that does a max 120 hz at 4k. When I set the refresh to 120 hz I get very frequent black screen flickering, at 100 hz it's occasional and at 60 hz it stops. 

I suspect the culprit may be a 600mm pci-e 4 riser cable I am using to connect the video card to the mb. I have heard there may be signal loss with a cable this long. 

what I should and will do is plug the card directly into the mb and see what happens.

I didn't built this system to play at 60 hz lol so I thought I would ask you guys.

0 Likes
1 Solution
vialli100
Forerunner

Are you using an old HDMI cable or did you buy a new one..

It would have to be a good quality, I had the same problem with my LG UHD disc player to my LG Oled TV..

The screen would flash black, when I upgraded the HDMI cables it stopped..

I also had the same problem when I got my old 4k monitor, I had to buy a better quality DP cable to stop the flashing black screen..

But as you pointed out, try the GPU in the slot first..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Are you using an old HDMI cable or did you buy a new one..

It would have to be a good quality, I had the same problem with my LG UHD disc player to my LG Oled TV..

The screen would flash black, when I upgraded the HDMI cables it stopped..

I also had the same problem when I got my old 4k monitor, I had to buy a better quality DP cable to stop the flashing black screen..

But as you pointed out, try the GPU in the slot first..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Hi,

I took your advice and tried a 4k 120 cable. Problem solved. You saved me having to rip out my video card which on my machine is not a 5 minute job.

Funny thing, I tried a few games at 60hz ultra everything and I couldn't feel and input lag. Just shows how much power the 6950

has. 120 hz is still better though.

Thankyou very much for your help.

0 Likes

Good, I'm glad I could help..
Happy gaming..
0 Likes

I used DDU complete remove and reinstall my GPU drivers and bought this DP cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S3XSJL9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details to replace the DP cable that came with my monitor and I still have random flickerings in the display. Its quite annoying. 

What kind of DP cable do you recommend? An actual premium cable but not too crazy overpriced.

0 Likes

@CRodrigo57
These are good cables..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-DisplayPort-version-certified-supports/dp/B07HL7RXKM/ref=sr_1_5...
0 Likes

I saw that exact cable online and wish I bought the one you showed instead of the monoprice. 

thanks. Im going to give it a try.

0 Likes