Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

axonn
Adept I

Black screen during amd driver install

Hi guys, 

I just set up my brand new desktop pc - brand new meaning the parts have arrived today. Everything went smooth untill the driver install for the gpu - at 70-80% black screen and won't recover. 2 windows reinstalls, dunno how many DDU runs and not working... I don't know what to do.. Anyone who can help me?

PS : if I don't install the driver everything works fine - also the latest drivers I used - tryed with 20.2.2; 20.3.1; 19.10.1; 19.12.1; 19.7.1

PS2 : I would like to mention that after the black screen the system still runs - music is playing in the background

System spec :

Motherboard : Asus tuf gaming X570 

Processor : Ryzen 7 3700x

RAM : CORSAIR DDR4 3600Mhz

GPU : Sapphire nitro+ RX 5700xt 

Power supply : corsair 80+ gold 650w

Thanks in advance for the help

38 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Re: Black screen during amd driver install

A PSU with 8+4PIN CPU power cable output solves your problems.

0 Kudos
axonn
Adept I

Thank you for your advise :)sorry for being rude, but are you sure? As when I was checking for compatibility issues It did not say that it would be issues  sorry, but I don't want to spend another 100 on power supply for nothing... Thanks

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I am not sure but I think your problems will probably be solved with a good PSU (850W with 8+4PIN CPU support or better). Put your system in OCCT PSU test. And be sure. I would like to point out that if your system can run this test for 10 minutes, it would be better to look for the problem in something different.

0 Kudos
thorpheus
Journeyman III

I'm having the exact same problem. Everything worked perfectly a couple of weeks ago while I was playing WoW but I did a system restore to get rid of a bunch of unwanted files and didn't feel like deleting them all manually. Been having this problem ever since. Let me know if you get it figured out and I'll do the same!

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please try selecting Additional Options > Factory Reset prior to installing 2.0.3.1.

Alternatively you can try running DDU to clean old driver files and then installing 20.3.1. 

0 Kudos
axonn
Adept I

Hey guys, 

I tryed everything... I switched my power supply to an 850w clean install again - to mention that I managed to install the driver and after a reset it went to black screen and shutting off the fans but the pc still runs- then again ddu older drivers everything and still can't manage to fix it... This is hilarious and it is a joke... Is even somebody from amd support looking to all this issues? Do they care or they are just to troubled to put out cpus gpus better or even to Nvidia and intel? Maybe they should consider the software side to outsource it.... Who is more capable of making software for gpus... Not sure what the answer is but for me it is 100% that it was the last time when I brought an AMD branded component.. Sendig it back, not worth the trouble and hustle... It's just a joke.... 

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

might be time to install windows fresh if it is that mangled

0 Kudos
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Don't worry. Perform a clean Windows installation with an USB stick. Just use Windows Update with your computer's internet connection and have the drivers installed. Do not download and install the driver package. Just use Windows Update. If you're still having trouble, definitely use your consumer rights. I cannot see why this system does not work stably.

Edit:
After installing Windows, perform CPU-GPU-PSU tests with OCCT and make sure your system is stable

0 Kudos
gcabral08
Adept I

Bro, same problem. I'm returning mine. Did everything possible.

0 Kudos