Adept I

Black screen and driver time out happens A LOT new build with RX570

System specs:

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite V2

Ryzen 5 3400G

MSI Armor Radeon RX570 8 gig memory

16 Gig system memory

700+ Watt thermaltake PSU

Windows 10 64bit Pro edition. (fully up to date, except the graphics driver...read on)

Basic rundown, as I've sent repeated bug reports in.  Built the system about 2 months ago.  Ran great, but had problems with the windows store not functional.  Wound up resetting windows back to full 'new' status and it installed all the basic drivers.  Ran great!  However I like to keep stuff up to date.

I installed the AMD dashboard and it auto updated.  A short while later after it installed the latest drivers-  It went to a black screen for a few seconds...and then returned to normal.  I then used the bug reporting tool about a dozen times (Yes, it happens about once every 15 minutes) as it really did it A LOT with internet browsing, and basically just sitting on my desktop screen.  It won't act up during gaming at all.  Rock Solid!  Exit out of the game?  Glitch City...

I held loose until the last driver update, and the issue still presents.  So I've uninstalled the 'dashboard' and everything AMD installed driver related at that time, and the system is now rock solid without problems.  The driver pack I'm using states:  27.20.14535.1000 with a date of 2/5/2021.  That's the set that seems to work fine.  (Google reports back it's the pack used for version 21.1.1)  FYI:  That's the windows display driver that it auto used upon the reset.)

Now that version does list this:  "Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround."   I've not the dashboard installed, so I'm not sure if this is enabled or disabled...  All I know is currently the system works fine, however I do like to keep my driver updates done to prevent issues.  The black screen kinda makes sense as the computer is doing a 'time-out' on the display driver that locked up...and restarting it.

I'm hesitant to reinstall the dashboard again, as it updates and likely this issue will return.  Does anyone happen to know if there's a sure fire fix to this problem?  Or should I just carry on with the installed driver pack and let 'er ride...and hope that windows update doesn't force feed the last 'defective' display driver pack to my computer.

Thanks in advance!

S-

3 Replies
nordvargr
Adept III

Having the same issue (blackscreen+driver timeout) with my Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT. I don't know what caused this, because my GPU was working fine for months. Potential candidates are below:

• New Adrenalin drivers
  • Agesa 1.2.0.0
  • Windows updates

I am very tired with testing and troubleshooting AMD hardware. Sometimes it works without problems for months, and then they release a new driver and the black screens come back overnight.

The only thing I've not tried on my own system would be to reinstall the dashboard, do the updates..  And then locate the setting mentioned and seeing if that clears the error.

This issue is well known on several forums, so I'm looking forward to an answer that doesn't involve saying "defective card".  I've had the system going all day so far with the mentioned driver set and the event viewer is still free from display faults.

I might 'take one for the team' and reinstall and update just to see if I can find the setting that's causing these issues.

S-

0 Likes
DtRiAgGeOrN
Journeyman III

Getting the same problem playing Doom Eternal. About 30 minutes in and frozen screen goes to black before the AMD dashboard detects a time out.

Setup:

64-bit Windows 10 (up to date), Ryzen 9 3900x, 32 GB Ram, and ASRock Challenger 6700xt (21.8.2 driver) using the HDMI connection.

Everything is brand new on this build except my 1000w psu.

Many hours of uninterrupted game play and just recently this problem. Trying factory reset and upgrade to 21.9.2.

0 Likes